Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

8 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

If avatar 2 doesn't appear that weekend I'm worried about a box office bomb on a scale of which we have never seen

lol

I don't think Comic-Con is as relevant as some make it out to be in terms of it having an effect on box office results.

D23 would be more suitable to showcase Avatar 2 trailer, that is also a marketing tool for Avatar re-release. Plus, I believe the movie is still in the intensive stage of post-production, considering just how much VFX needed to render the entire movie. So the September timeline would allow a more refined trailer footage than now.    

Redroast is secretly the biggest avatar goon and is just trying to picture an incoming flop scenario so that A2 looks better.

Jokes aside, I don't really get the comments. Even the people that are most down on this film probably think it's going to clear a billion easily. That would automatically place it among the biggest properties for Disney, of which they have sequels already on the way, games, probably merch and shit too. They don't exactly have much of a reason to sabotage this. They have an avatar rerelease in the pipeline, the movie is still plenty far away, they definitely have a marketing strategy for it. A SDCC or D23 trailer for a film that is targeting GA far more than the typical fanboy crowd is not the end-all-be-all.

Not necessarily saying that anyone in this thread is guilty of this, but this is really a tale as old as time: American nerds and pop culture fanatics thinking they're the centre of the universe.

"If the movie doesn't cater to me, then it doesn't have an audience."

"If I don't like the movie, then nobody will."

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

How?

For comic con: we are dealing with a massive sci-fi franchise and those types of franchises have massive appeal with con-goers. 

For D23: this is a crown jewel franchise for Disney. It has a large presence in your largest park and was at least part of the reason you bought Fox's film division. Not showing ANYTHING at d23 shows that Chapek and Disney is not treating the franchise the way it should be.

1 minute ago, Reddroast said:

For comic con: we are dealing with a massive sci-fi franchise and those types of franchises have massive appeal with con-goers. 

For D23: this is a crown jewel franchise for Disney. It has a large presence in your largest park and was at least part of the reason you bought Fox's film division. Not showing ANYTHING at d23 shows that Chapek and Disney is not treating the franchise the way it should be.

if it's not at D23 I would say Cameron and Chapek are probably at war. It would never be to do with the quality of the film.

Just who the hell do you think Cameron is? Making a bad movie lmao

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

if it's not at D23 I would say Cameron and Chapek are probably at war. It would never be to do with the quality of the film.

Just who the hell do you think Cameron is? Making a bad movie lmao

Chapek has a supernatural talent for stepping on rakes so it wouldn't surprise me 

Cameron is an all time great director but as I've said before I'm worried about him being rusty 

38 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Redroast is secretly the biggest avatar goon and is just trying to picture an incoming flop scenario so that A2 looks better.

Jokes aside, I don't really get the comments. Even the people that are most down on this film probably think it's going to clear a billion easily. That would automatically place it among the biggest properties for Disney, of which they have sequels already on the way, games, probably merch and shit too. They don't exactly have much of a reason to sabotage this. They have an avatar rerelease in the pipeline, the movie is still plenty far away, they definitely have a marketing strategy for it. A SDCC or D23 trailer for a film that is targeting GA far more than the typical fanboy crowd is not the end-all-be-all.

Funny enough James did some time in my hometown growing up.

Avatar released a teaser so it isn't like marketing has started too late or whatever. People know it's coming out. The rest will follow. Now, while rumor has it that Disney doesn't give much fuck about Fox properties, this should be an exception given how much the first one made. And the ride or whatever. 

Moreover, centerpiece of presentation was WF with everyone tributing Chadwick Boseman and what not. It simply wasn't the best time for anything else. No wonder they paired it up with ultra shitty looking She-Hulk cause that crap being upstaged is no loss. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Avatar released a teaser so it isn't like marketing has started too late or whatever. People know it's coming out. The rest will follow. Now, while rumor has it that Disney doesn't give much fuck about Fox properties, this should be an exception given how much the first one made. And the ride or whatever. 

Moreover, centerpiece of presentation was WF with everyone tributing Chadwick Boseman and what not. It simply wasn't the best time for anything else. No wonder they paired it up with ultra shitty looking She-Hulk cause that crap being upstaged is no loss. 

yeah the real marketing hasn't started yet.

There will be an Avatar announcment today, the Avatar instragram account teased one.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

At the same time avatar was at comic con in 2009 and blew people away. I fully believe that should have released a teaser with NWH.

Just now, Reddroast said:

At the same time avatar was at comic con in 2009 and blew people away. I fully believe that should have released a teaser with NWH.

I'm pretty sure comic con 2009 didn't launch a trailer for the sequel that tributes sadly departed lead from the previous movie. Apples and oranges, buddy. Do you really think that releasing Avatar 2 trailer with WF one would have been a good idea? No matter how awesome the trailer, people would talk about the tribute to Chadwick. It's psychology 101. 

Agreed but you understand why they didn't. They released MOM trailer to hype that movie and it backfired in that people expected Multiverse to have much bigger role (as in Professor X, Mr Fantastic, etc) but that turend into disappointment on top of overall mess. They still got a massive OW but legs were wonky cause that tedns to happen when primises aren't fulfilled. 

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm pretty sure comic con 2009 didn't launch a trailer for the sequel that tributes sadly departed lead from the previous movie. Apples and oranges, buddy. Do you really think that releasing Avatar 2 trailer with WF one would have been a good idea? No matter how awesome the trailer, people would talk about the tribute to Chadwick. It's psychology 101. 

Agreed but you understand why they didn't. They released MOM trailer to hype that movie and it backfired in that people expected Multiverse to have much bigger role (as in Professor X, Mr Fantastic, etc) but that turend into disappointment on top of overall mess. They still got a massive OW but legs were wonky cause that tedns to happen when primises aren't fulfilled. 

That's true.