Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

This is the actual tech being used on the Lightstorm catalog. The point is to maintain the cinematic look and greatly reduce judder, strobing, motion blur. 

Truecut motion grading was developed by Pixelworks to reduce the judder, strobing and unacceptable motion blur that can be present in cinematic or TV content - especially for externded or high dynamic range content. Motion grading can eliminate problem scenes while maintaining a filmic look. They show a motion graded version of  The Hobbit which was screned at 48fps to poor reviews for the "soap opera" look. The Truecut version looks a lot better and maintains the filimic look.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

This is the actual tech being used on the Lightstorm catalog. The point is to maintain the cinematic look and greatly reduce judder, strobing, motion blur. 

Truecut motion grading was developed by Pixelworks to reduce the judder, strobing and unacceptable motion blur that can be present in cinematic or TV content - especially for externded or high dynamic range content. Motion grading can eliminate problem scenes while maintaining a filmic look. They show a motion graded version of  The Hobbit which was screned at 48fps to poor reviews for the "soap opera" look. The Truecut version looks a lot better and maintains the filimic look.

the Truecut motion grading looks really good, holy!

4 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

I'd really like them to explain how exactly are they doing it. Looking at that other video i'm not that impressed tbh, to my eyes it looks more like something that is simply between 24fps and 48fps instead of some "magic" that does away with judder while at the same time maintaining the cinematic look because it doesn't and i don't think that is even possible since those two things are mutually exclusive. Judder IS that which we consider cinematic.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Elessar said:

I'd really like them to explain how exactly are they doing it. Looking at that other video i'm not that impressed tbh, to my eyes it looks more like something that is simply between 24fps and 48fps instead of some "magic" that does away with judder while at the same time maintaining the cinematic look because it doesn't and i don't think that is even possible since those two things are mutually exclusive. Judder IS that which we consider cinematic.

I don't think the general public will get a look behind the curtain into the nuts & bolts of how they do it until they've moved on to an improved version.  I guess Cameron's team has done their due diligence and this software achieves their goals (for now), I have to put some trust that what they are doing is right, it's really hard to tell based on a very compressed Youtube video of someone shooting a monitor with their phone. 

Pixelworks - TrueCut Motion (information)

https://www.pixelworks.com/en/truecut

• Like 1

Yeah. I mean we know avatar was postponed a lot of times and if I'm not wrong Marvel changed a lot of release dates because of pandemic but there are really a lot of similitaries. I didn't expect to see so much water in BP 2 . There are also the under water scenes with these creatures and tribes, it really looks like some scenes from the Avatar trailer.

It's strange to see something so similar coming just 4 weeks before 😅

Avatar 2 next trailer really need some buff. The first teaser work didn’t land an wow amazing impression on me, considering I am already a JC friendly cinephile. And now I am genuinely impressed by BP2 teaser which also at the same time. surprised me the how similar could be between both. 

They really need to plan a great trailer for avatar 2 to make it really stand out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I agree with what @Cap said yesterday in the SDCC Thread keeping avatar 2 away from SDCC was a MASSIVE mistake 

I disagree, Avatar 2 in SDCC make thing awkward as Marvel and DC has basically exhausted all attention from the room.  

9 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I disagree, Avatar 2 in SDCC make thing awkward as Marvel and DC has basically exhausted all attention from the room.  

I'm not just taking Hall H (even though there are multiple days of panels and they could have easily put one there on Thursday or friday for it) 

We've already mentioned Comic-Con, but I don't even think Avatar will be at D23? When they announced all the big studio panels, they mentioned a Disney Live-Action/WDAS/Pixar panel on Friday, and then a Marvel/Lucasfilm panel on Saturday. Avatar doesn't fit into any of these camps and they didn't say a word about any 20th Century Studios panel. Maybe it could get lumped into the Live-Action stuff with Little Mermaid and whatever, but it seems Avatar could be MIA, which is super weird.

It could be Disney not wanting to push them, but that doesn't make any sense, since they already have the theme parks, the first movie is on Disney+, there's a Neytiri profile picture, etc. They clearly are pushing Avatar as a core part of the Disney family. Maybe James Cameron wants his movie promoted away from everything so he has all the attention? Maybe that's it, but it would still be really stupid of him not to hype up Disney fans. Hopefully I'm proven wrong and Avatar's ready to go for D23.

18 minutes ago, Eric the Tethered said:

We've already mentioned Comic-Con, but I don't even think Avatar will be at D23? When they announced all the big studio panels, they mentioned a Disney Live-Action/WDAS/Pixar panel on Friday, and then a Marvel/Lucasfilm panel on Saturday. Avatar doesn't fit into any of these camps and they didn't say a word about any 20th Century Studios panel. Maybe it could get lumped into the Live-Action stuff with Little Mermaid and whatever, but it seems Avatar could be MIA, which is super weird.

It could be Disney not wanting to push them, but that doesn't make any sense, since they already have the theme parks, the first movie is on Disney+, there's a Neytiri profile picture, etc. They clearly are pushing Avatar as a core part of the Disney family. Maybe James Cameron wants his movie promoted away from everything so he has all the attention? Maybe that's it, but it would still be really stupid of him not to hype up Disney fans. Hopefully I'm proven wrong and Avatar's ready to go for D23.

If avatar 2 doesn't appear that weekend I'm worried about a box office bomb on a scale of which we have never seen

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

If avatar 2 doesn't appear that weekend I'm worried about a box office bomb on a scale of which we have never seen

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not serious, if only because the alternative is too absurd to contemplate.

• Like 1