Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

werent there some rumblings that cameron didnt want avatar to be too closely associated with disney and thats pretty much one of the reasons the 20th century label still exists?

dont really expect it to show up at D23, avatar day is probably happenning on august 21 so thats where theyll probably show everything

2 hours ago, hw64 said:

Not necessarily saying that anyone in this thread is guilty of this, but this is really a tale as old as time: American nerds and pop culture fanatics thinking they're the centre of the universe.

"If the movie doesn't cater to me, then it doesn't have an audience."

"If I don't like the movie, then nobody will."

some people here thinking Barbie is gonna flop when it screams 120M opening 

Cameron fans are not wrong, it's really weird to have a movie seems really similar visually released just 4 weeks before (i mean we know Cameron used a lot of the africans and native tribes aesthetics to build Pandora).

If BP breaks out a lot and even if it's just a  more moderate 400M hit can really diminish the impact of Avatar on people have watched BP just 1-2-3 weeks before.

Edited by vale9001

Lol BP isn't gonna have an impact on A2's box office, people are gonna watch both films for different reasons.

No one is excited to watch BP just for the underwater scenes and the blue Atlanteans. The fact that most people got reminded of Avatar says it all. It'd only be a problem if it was the other way around.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Royce said:

Lol BP isn't gonna have an impact on A2's box office, people are gonna watch both films for different reasons.

No one is excited to watch BP just for the underwater scenes and the blue Atlanteans. The fact that most people got reminded of Avatar says it all. It'd only be a problem if it was the other way around.

I didn't say if you watch BP you don't watch Avatar (even if the similar scenario can also diminish the appeal for someone but of course not a problematic amount of people), I'm saying  watching something similar can have an impact on your feeling about avatar, same if you watch an epic fantasy with wizards, elves and dwarfs two weeks before a new Lord of the rings movie. A lot of the impact of a movie on audiences is made always by the sense of freshness the theater experience gives to you. If a month before Top gun we would have been a 500M dollar movie with the Us navy making missions don't you think it could have some impact on people's reaction to Top Gun, even if the stories or the style of the 2 movies are kinda different?.

Edited by vale9001

Just now, vale9001 said:

I didn't say if you watch BP you don't watch Avatar (even if the similar scenario can also diminish the appeal for someone but of course not a problematic amount of people), I'm saying  watching something similar can have an impact on your feeling about avatar, same if you watch an epic fantasy with wizards, elves and dwarfs two weeks before a new Lord of the rings movie. A lot of the impact of a movie on audiences is made always but the sense of freshness the theater experience gives to you. If a months before Top gun we would have been a 500M dollar movie with the Us navy making missions don't you think it could have some impact on people's reaction to Top Gun, even if the stories or the style of the 2 movies are kinda different?.

If HP1 and LOTR1 can coexist in the same season, BP2 and A2 should have no problem replicate that. Not to mention just how little blockbusters we have, especially the good one, throughout 2022.

Also, A2 has a weapon that make a standout from BP2.

3D. 

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If HP1 and LOTR1 can coexist in the same season, BP2 and A2 should have no problem replicate that. Not to mention just how little blockbusters we have, especially the good one, throughout 2022.

Also, A2 has a weapon that make a standout from BP2.

3D. 

Hp and Lord of the rings are really different. I'm not saying two horror movies or two fantasy movies can't cohexist.

In this particular case there are really a lot of similarities, it's very specifically. 

Edited by vale9001

9 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Avatar is on another level visually compared to the Marvel assembly line product.

No doubt about that. Still this kind of tribal aestetichs, the underwater subplot and all these fight scenes on air are very similar.

There is even a very similar scenes in both trailer with a sort of creature under the water and all the navis- wakanders (???) around it. 

Edited by vale9001

The only negative impact that Avatar 2 can have atm is a bad movie. The market is completely set for it to have a clear December/January run. It's going to open big, no doubt and there's a curiosity buzz factor about it but it could easlily get mixed WoM. Repeat business will be huge for A2. So far what we have seen is majorly underwhelming and boring. Hopefully we get some material that changes that notion.

40 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Hp and Lord of the rings are really different. I'm not saying two horror movies or two fantasy movies can't cohexist.

In this particular case there are really a lot of similarities, it's very specifically. 

Potter and Lord of the Rings share a lot more than Avatar 2 and BP2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Potter and Lord of the Rings share a lot more than Avatar 2 and BP2.

The major difference here is tone. LOTR was a lot darker and HP books were written with kids in mind. both BP2 and A2 look similar in tone to me imo. Let's not forget shazam 2 also deals with family in it's themes as well

8 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

The major difference here is tone. LOTR was a lot darker and HP books were written with kids in mind. both BP2 and A2 look similar in tone to me imo. Let's not forget shazam 2 also deals with family in it's themes as well

The later Potter films were dark as well. 

48 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

So two fantasy movies featuring humans, wizards, magic, elves, etc. and are both based on books

are less similar than a comic book movie about human superheroes on Earth and a sci-fi movie about aliens in space?

The only similarity is that the Atlanteans are blue and they look like actors with body paint (at first glance), the human Wakandans are still the focus, not the blue people

The murky blue-green underwater scenes won't be similar to A2's lush underwater wonderland at all, and they're not supposed to

Again, both movies fulfill different purposes and I don't even know why I'm arguing about this pointless comparison

Btw, Aquaman 2 and The Little Mermaid come out next year as well, let's see how "similar" those movies will be as well! Won't both movies feature underwater kingdoms? /sarcasm

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I don't mean to be rude but what is the point you're trying to get to? BP2 and A2 has not much in common and what if Shazam movie deals with family? What does it have to do with Avatar?  They are not even in the same genre, even if they were, so what? Are you saying that fi. two action or animated films can't be released within a space of a month? While we're at it, let's send the memo to the studios that only one horror film can be released in the month leading to Halloween and  one Xmas movie allowed a year lol

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Haha 1