Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 hours ago, Reddroast said:

If is the question here. And by the the teaser that dropped it doesn't look like an average superhero film. It looks fantastic 

I agree that teaser was incredible, the movie looks great (Weta FX is one of the companies doing CGI) and there's no denying the emotional impact of the clip, very powerful. Easily the most impressive thing I've seen under the MCU banner in a while. 

I know I’m late to the discussion, but regarding the earlier posts about whether or not Avatar qualifies as a geek property, I don’t think the franchise has quite reached that point yet. It’ll definitely get there if this movie proves to be a hit, and the franchise continues churning out comic books, toys and video games, but as of right now, I don’t think it has enough of a history to be compared to things like Marvel and Star Wars. 

Edited by WittyUsername

23 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

werent there some rumblings that cameron didnt want avatar to be too closely associated with disney and thats pretty much one of the reasons the 20th century label still exists?

dont really expect it to show up at D23, avatar day is probably happenning on august 21 so thats where theyll probably show everything

LOL No. Disney's board would not go ahead and listen to a film director, James Cameron or otherwise, on whether or not to keep the 20th Century brand. There was never any question to keep the brand. Besides its history it is perfect for Disney for their mature content. Same with FX and Searchlight.

Avatar was front and center. on disney.com the day the Fox acquisition closed. I remember that very clearly.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I know I’m late to the discussion, but regarding the earlier posts about whether or not Avatar qualifies as a geek property, I don’t think the franchise has quite reached that point yet. It’ll definitely get there if this movie proves to be a hit, and the franchise continues churning out comic books, toys and video games, but as of right now, I don’t think it has enough of a history to be compared to things like Marvel and Star Wars. 

He's not at the helm or even with the company anymore, but there was an old Iger interview where he compared Avatar to Star Wars and how the potential for merch, games, tv show, comics, novels, etc are there for Avatar and that we needed to give it time. I'm assuming Disney wants that and I wouldn't be surprised at Avatarlands being announced for other Disney parks in the next few years.

3 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

I'm assuming Disney wants that and I wouldn't be surprised at Avatarlands being announced for other Disney parks in the next few years.

It would make perfect sense to build one in Shanghai for example, in that case, it is crucial to get Avatar 2 in China. 

3 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

One of those little fandom oddities from the first movie has been answered, Jake's banshee is called "Bob". 

McFarlane toys will be coming out with an Avatar line of products. 

When I first saw that video, I thought Bob was just a name that he made up on the spot... 😄

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Thing about Avatar..and this havew been brought up before.....is that for the biggest moneymaker of all time it left a pretty small pop cultural footprint. Cameron's previous film Titanic left a much bigger one.

25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Thing about Avatar..and this havew been brought up before.....is that for the biggest moneymaker of all time it left a pretty small pop cultural footprint. Cameron's previous film Titanic left a much bigger one.

The cultural impact argument has been done to death. There’s not much of a point in continuing to bring it up. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

do they usually start scoring after editing is mostly done?

Based on my limited knowledge of the subject they usually wouldn't start until editing/sequencing is almost complete or very close to it. I think with a project this large and the amount of planning involved that Simon would have seen a rough cut or two months ago and begun to plan out & write the score well in advance of starting the recording process. Now they get down to the nuts and bolts, tweaking and final adjustments. It's just a matter of time now, less than 5 months left before WoW is unleashed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xieh tie said:

I mean, I get the article. Avatar 2 may play in China. At least that's the only thing I get out of it since it's behind a pay wall. 

But the headline seems weird. What does it mean by Hollywood movies will start playing again in China? Even tho very few, some movies have been playing in China. Again, very few. But the ones that don't play there, seem to be because of ideals that China rejects. Not anything else. 

So I don't sense any change going forward in terms of what we already see. The change that the headline seems to be trying to indicate. That more Hollywood movies will play there. 

Avatar 2 just seems to be 1 of the few movies that will play there.

Edited by p a p i

On 7/30/2022 at 5:27 PM, p a p i said:

I mean, I get the article. Avatar 2 may play in China. At least that's the only thing I get out of it since it's behind a pay wall. 

full article from bloomberg

Hollywood movies will start playing in China again this year, with one of the most anticipated new films, “Avatar: The Way of Water,” among those likely to get released there, Imax Corp. Chief Executive Officer Rich Gelfond told investors Thursday.

China is clearing through its backlog of local-language movies, Gelfond said during an earnings call. Films released on streaming platforms have “unleashed rampant piracy” in the country, he said. Both of those developments should pave the way for more Hollywood films to play in the country. 

China has mostly iced out big Hollywood films during the pandemic. The stance was partly driven by strict Covid lockdowns in the country, and exacerbated by political disagreements with the US. In some cases, tensions went even further. Tencent Holdings Ltd. pulled its funding from the Paramount Pictures film “Top Gun: Maverick” over concerns it glorified the US military, according to a Wall Street Journal report.

Some films have still won approval to play in China in 2022. Universal Pictures’s “Jurassic World: Dominion” has made almost $155 million in the country, according to the studio.

“Avatar: The Way of Water,” a Walt Disney Co.-produced sequel to the 2009 James Cameron-directed mega-hit “Avatar,” also has a good shot of getting past the country’s censors, Gelfond said. The first film was financially successful in China and Cameron has a good track record in the country, he said.

Imax, whose big screens operate in 87 countries, reported revenue of $74 million in the second quarter, in line with analysts’ expectations. Second-quarter results included a $3.2 million impairment on a film investment, due in part to depressed box office levels in China. Imax shares rose 2.6% in after-hours trading to $17.8

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-28/us-films-will-return-to-chinese-theaters-imax-ceo-predicts#xj4y7vzkg7.