Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 minutes ago, adaros said:

Found on reddit:

"I can't help with 4k, but here is a copy of the trailer in ProRes format. It's almost 3gb and should be visually flawless. The difference between this and YouTube almost feels like seeing it in 4k, due to the lack of compression."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w7lA0oU8MlwpQiTwlWKN6Vy5O84R1DwC/view?usp=share_link

Thx man, holy sh*t this trailer looks fucking gorgeous in 4k.

• Like 1

My reaction after seeing this trailer is "still meh". I really don't see anything in the visuals that hasn't been done by high budget movies in the past 5 years. The trailer itself is really boring with the only indication of plot being basically the same as the first one. The main character now has to get accepted by the slightly lighter shade of blue people? Combine with Cameron saying that this borefest is going to be more than 3 hours? Count me out!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, adaros said:

Found on reddit:

"I can't help with 4k, but here is a copy of the trailer in ProRes format. It's almost 3gb and should be visually flawless. The difference between this and YouTube almost feels like seeing it in 4k, due to the lack of compression."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w7lA0oU8MlwpQiTwlWKN6Vy5O84R1DwC/view?usp=share_link

Wow the extra fine detail makes this look way better, especially with the Na'vi themselves as you can see there skin texture now, instead of the water colour painiting looking Na'vi from the shitty Youtube version.

Thanks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Wow the extra fine detail makes this look way better, especially with the Na'vi themselves as you can see there skin texture now, instead of the water colour painiting looking Na'vi from the shitty Youtube version.

Thanks.

Yepp this looks absolutely insane in 4k. Its just crazy that after 13 years not one single movie came close to the stunning visuals of avatar1, and now comes avatar 2 and blows it totally out of the water (pun intended 😆 ).

• Disbelief 1

37 minutes ago, Andreas said:

The trailer is beautiful. I will try to watch this on opening night.

Does anyone keep track of the views? They seem pretty low for now.

Folks like @Menor Reborn keep something of an unofficial look at trailer views for various projects.  Others do it for specific franchises (won't tag 'em in this case as to not drag them in here).

****BUT!!!!!****

But it's somewhat well known that different franchises have different levels of engagement on various social channels.  For instance, Marvel is particularly heavy on trailer views over at YT while SW tends to skew more Twitter/Facebook.  And even there, SW tends to be a bit behind probably for demo reasons (though I don't know if it's been that rigorously looked at).

Since we presume Avatar is gonna be more GA skewed, any sort of trailer analysis is probably only worth setting up a baseline for the Avatar franchise itself.  And even there, it could be sketchy for A3 if A2 blows up as much as some think it will due to sequel frontloading of views.

Prob the best direct comparison would be Top Gun: Maverick views, but I don't know if anyone cared enough to check that out.  And even there the comparisons could fall a little flat simply because even if it is more GA heavy, A2 is still Sci Fi which will put a bit of a thumb on trailer views over something like TGM.

To sum up, while trailer view metrics can be useful, especially for established franchises, it's much more an art than a science.  Unless trailer views are either abysmal or sky high, they really don't tell us all that much.  And even when they're high, it's still of limited value, as  Detective Pikachu showed.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Folks like @Menor Reborn keep something of an unofficial look at trailer views for various projects.  Others do it for specific franchises (won't tag 'em in this case as to not drag them in here).

****BUT!!!!!****

But it's somewhat well known that different franchises have different levels of engagement on various social channels.  For instance, Marvel is particularly heavy on trailer views over at YT while SW tends to skew more Twitter/Facebook.  And even there, SW tends to be a bit behind probably for demo reasons (though I don't know if it's been that rigorously looked at).

Since we presume Avatar is gonna be more GA skewed, any sort of trailer analysis is probably only worth setting up a baseline for the Avatar franchise itself.  And even there, it could be sketchy for A3 if A2 blows up as much as some think it will due to sequel frontloading of views.

Prob the best direct comparison would be Top Gun: Maverick views, but I don't know if anyone cared enough to check that out.  And even there the comparisons could fall a little flat simply because even if it is more GA heavy, A2 is still Sci Fi which will put a bit of a thumb on trailer views over something like TGM.

To sum up, while trailer view metrics can be useful, especially for established franchises, it's much more an art than a science.  Unless trailer views are either abysmal or sky high, they really don't tell us all that much.  And even when they're high, it's still of limited value, as  Detective Pikachu showed.

You pretty much summed it up. I haven't been paying much attention to trailer views for A2 because they tell us next to nothing. For A3 I may take a quick look at A2 but even then 2 years is a lot of time for viewing patterns to shift. Trailer views/likes are mostly useful for CBMs (especially MCU but also decently predictive for Sony/DC).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

You pretty much summed it up. I haven't been paying much attention to trailer views for A2 because they tell us next to nothing. For A3 I may take a quick look at A2 but even then 2 years is a lot of time for viewing patterns to shift. Trailer views/likes are mostly useful for CBMs (especially MCU but also decently predictive for Sony/DC).

You implied this in your last sentence, but trailer likes are a bit more indicative of success, but even there only so much blood that can be wrung out of the stone, especially on trailers that don't have a huge level of engagement.

38 minutes ago, adaros said:

First Avatar was almost 3h and people still complain about second one, if you guys think this will be borefest just stay at home lmao

So long as the plot is moving forward at a consistent pace I'm fine with long movies. Imo the pacing of the 1st film was bad

Trailer views on YT seems great (better than the teaser iirc), on Twitter is okay (teaser was way bigger), but overall it's good

I don't think it matters that much anyway, the teaser was huge and almost everytime the biggest views come from the first video. 

This trailer should do very well on theaters since it's nearly 100% focused on the visual experience, and i'm curious how they'll market this online without spoil it like they want apparently. 

Hopefully they will drop reactions and reviews in advance, i think this could do wonders for online marketing.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

This was definitely made for HFR lol. Motion looks off in a bunch of the money shots shots here.

That's a higher shutter speed you're seeing, which is not abnormal and gives a jittery/stuttery feeling by eliminating motion blur. Often used in action sequences in other films, you'd crank it up just a little for a fight scene or something. 

But you are correct that it could be a result of HFR scenes because if you shoot HFR you should accordingly increase the shutter speed as well to avoid too much motion blurring (some previous HFR films have failed to do this in some spots). 

Edited by FilmFincher

3 hours ago, adaros said:

Guy is saying Avatar 2 will do King Kong 2005 numbers, wouldn't take him seriously 

where did I say it would day kong 2005 numbers?

Kong was an insanely hyped mid December blockbuster that was supposed to challenge for #1 of year. It didn't come close. It was a borderline outright flop opening day/weekend and hit basic respectable status thanks to holiday legs. 

• Like 2

When the visuals is the thing people take away from a trailer I start thinking about movies that were heavily cgi in the past like Star Wars attack of the clones and how those movies aged. It’s been 12 years.. gonna need more than visuals to sell GA on a three hour movie 

• Like 1