Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

It's interesting to me that the poster gets better traction (from both Jim's account and the official account) than the re-release trailer. The trailer is really well put together IMO, anyway, very excited to see Avatar again in theatres next month!

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m curious to see how well this re-release performs. 

Was thinking it would do like the 3D re-releases from a decade ago and make about 45M or something. Of course those had a much bigger hook when 3D was the hip new thing, so maybe that's too much?

25 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

It's interesting to me that the poster gets better traction (from both Jim's account and the official account) than the re-release trailer. The trailer is really well put together IMO, anyway, very excited to see Avatar again in theatres next month!

Even more surprising when you consider we’ve had that exact poster image on a Blu Ray case for 12 years…

• Like 4

If you asked me months ago, I’d have said this rerelease would’ve been a decently big hit (it’s gonna have premium formats all to itself for 2-3 weeks). Now I’m a big unsure but I also expected a sooner marketing campaign for this. It depends how aggressive it’s marketed and the one thing this rerelease has over other rereleases is that it’s a movie everyone realizes you kinda “need to see in 3D” which could drive people to refresh themselves on the story.

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

Don't think it's that surprising, an image is quick and easy to share and goes straight to the point. Plus most people don't need to see another trailer to something they have already seen.

I like the poster. Pretty simple but the colors are vibrant and it shows well the level of detail which is to the point: selling the remaster. The trailer I gotta be honest I think it can't hold a candle to the original teaser and trailer. I think there are a lot of better shots to pick from in that movie, but I guess it's decent enough for a re-release trailer.

Edited by Alexdube

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

<<<<<$15m total.

You'll get laughed at to hell and back, but you have my sword. We're in the streaming age. Re-releases like this don't make sense anymore. And yes, I know it got removed from Disney+, but there are still plenty of ways to watch this 13-year old movie without needing a car trip to the nearest theater.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still gladly pony up for this re-release, especially if I can find a 3D showing in my area. But from a financial standpoint this seems pointless to me.

28 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

You'll get laughed at to hell and back, but you have my sword. We're in the streaming age. Re-releases like this don't make sense anymore. And yes, I know it got removed from Disney+, but there are still plenty of ways to watch this 13-year old movie without needing a car trip to the nearest theater.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still gladly pony up for this re-release, especially if I can find a 3D showing in my area. But from a financial standpoint this seems pointless to me.

Only a blind man would think streaming AVATAR would be anywhere close to watching it in theatres.  It's a completely different, unique experience.

3 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

OVER or UNDER $152.61 million worldwide required to hit $3,000,000,000 ?

I'm going way under and yes I will be seeing this a couple of times in 3D IMAX. 

Do we know how many countries are getting the re-release? 

Domestically, I expect it to be under $10M.