Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

17 minutes ago, Melosh said:

79/80 RT 69/71 MC

hello me at 6 pm est 👋 

pretty sure it'll go over 75 mc, with a shot at 80

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

5 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

How the hell did the first movie get an 83 on Metacritic but only a 82 on RT? Was it a case of reviews pouring in over the years and diminishing it a lot on the latter site?

I went back and researched what Avatar was like before it came out, just to see if anything about it was predictable in hindsight, and this was one of the things I looked at -- the RT score after a week was 83% and the consensus was "It might be more impressive on a technical level than as a piece of storytelling, but Avatar reaffirms James Cameron's singular gift for imaginative, absorbing filmmaking."

12 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

How the hell did the first movie get an 83 on Metacritic but only a 82 on RT? Was it a case of reviews pouring in over the years and diminishing it a lot on the latter site?

It was at 82-83 right after it opened. There's always been a huge gap on Avatar between the bloggers and the more professional critics. Avatar was in the mid-90s among RT's "top critics" for many years until RT made big changes to that section.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, danziger said:

It was at 82-83 right after it opened. There's always been a huge gap on Avatar between the bloggers and the more professional critics. Avatar was in the mid-90s among RT's "top critics" for many years until RT made big changes to that section.

Not really, these are all 'the top critic' reviews added between release and 2022

0k5XjzY.png

Great to hear it's getting strong reactions! I was 17 years old when the first came out and I can still remember my first viewing so well! I ended up seeing the film five times in theaters. If someone told me back then that the sequel would come out just two months shy of me turning 30, I wouldn't have believed it. 

The best thing about these reactions is that it's near universal that the final act is strong - there is nothing more important for a blockbuster film than to end on a strong note. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Not really, these are all 'the top critic' reviews added between release and 2022

0k5XjzY.png

Yes they did, massively so. They count 83 reviews as "top critics." In February 2010 it was 35 (33 positive, 2 negative). In 2013 it was 38 positive, 3 negative. Since then they've doubled the amount of top critic reviews for Avatar. 

Ok, apparently everyone is watching the damn movie today and another screening just ended, so... another wave of reactions for you

The Playlist 

RT critic / HCA Member

SlashFilm 

IGN 

Collider  

Variety

Deadline  

HCA Member / Critics Choice member 

RT critic 

HCA Member 

The Hollywood Reporter

• Like 6

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

hello me at 6 pm est 👋 

pretty sure it'll go over 75 mc, with a shot at 80

Ok actually with all these new reactions  coming in I think it could be leaning more towards the high 70s to low 80s……lets  hope even better 😎

Edited by Melosh

3 minutes ago, danziger said:

Yes they did, massively so. They count 83 reviews as "top critics." In February 2010 it was 35 (33 positive, 2 negative). In 2013 it was 38 positive, 3 negative. Since then they've doubled the amount of top critic reviews for Avatar. 

So a lot of critics/publications that weren't seen as top critics in 2009 were converted to top critics and thats a problem because...?  Most big wide releases now get between 75-100 top critic reviews depending how big they are.  Its not like Avatar got uniquely screwed by this change. 

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

So a lot of critics/publications that weren't seen as top critics in 2009 were converted to top critics and thats a problem because...?  Most big wide releases now get between 75-100 top critic reviews depending how big they are.  Its not like Avatar got uniquely screwed by this change. 

I never said it was a problem. I stated as fact what happened in response to a question on the topic. 

Last bunch for today 

Forbes 

HCA Member / RT critic 

HCA Member / RT Critic 

SlashFilm / CriticsChoice Member 

Indiewire 

HCA Member / CriticsChoice Member 

The Playlist / HCA Member 

The Wrap 

EW (posting just because, there's no much to take out of this) 

ScreenRant 

Variety 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, great night, i'm not counting but i'm pretty sure there's well over 100 reactions posted on the thread by me and other members and a strong majority of them are very positive to great. 

Just some mixed (and still most of them leaning to positive) and honestly, very few straight up negatives. 

Still, i think is naive to expect consensus about this movie. I didn't post here because they don't really write for big outlets and they aren't members of associations, but there are people that really dislike the movie on social media, this is no Top Gun Maverick.

Like i said earlier, i think The Batman / Dune / Nope maybe are better comparissons for both RT and Metacritic scores.

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

So, great night, i'm not counting but i'm pretty sure there's well over 100 reactions posted on the thread by me and other members and a strong majority of them are very positive to great. 

Just some mixed (and still most of them leaning to positive) and honestly, very few straight up negatives. 

Still, i think is naive to expect consensus about this movie. I didn't post here because they don't really write for big outlets and they aren't members of associations, but there are people that really dislike the movie on social media, this is no Top Gun Maverick.

Like i said earlier, i think The Batman / Dune / Nope maybe are better comparissons for both RT and Metacritic scores.

Do you expect this to have a A+ cinemascore? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

So TGM will remiain the most-loved crowd pleaser of the year....

Absolutely not, Avatar 2 has bigger highs and will take people lightyears away to Pandora. The effect Avatar 2 will have on some people is more profound than a religious experience.

The first Avatar also offered a much bigger experience than top gun maverick did, and this is bigger and better than that.

• Haha 2