Interstellar  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Interstellar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The Matt Damon stuff really doesn't work for me. It felt like they were afraid they couldn't make a $200 million movie without having some sort of antagonist in there. Overall it's a neat experience though.

I've been thinking about this 

Would you say the Damon stuff ( when he 'turns bad' ) is the start of the 3rd act resolution or would you say that the black hole stuff is just the 3rd act 

Because tonally the movie had a clear change in the dynamic there ( a bit heavy handed IMO too ) and I thought that's where the 3rd act starts 

Some people disagree with this 

The Matt Damon stuff really doesn't work for me. It felt like they were afraid they couldn't make a $200 million movie without having some sort of antagonist in there. Overall it's a neat experience though.

Matt Damon was worth it just for the shuttle docking scene. 

• Like 5

Saw this a second time. This is easily an A grade. Honestly, I was really let down by TDKR. So, I am glad that I like Interstellar. It's kind of funny seeing people have the opposite reaction who loved TDKR and yet are let down by Interstellar. Perhaps, the sign of a great director is when different people like and dislike your movies for different reasons.

• Like 2

Regardless of what you think of the end result, you have to admire Nolan's vision here. It's been a long time since the last big budget movie that just went into a total cerebral mindfuck in the last half hour.

Personally, I loved it. There was never a moment I was bored through its near 3-hour runtime, and Matt, Anne, and Jessica were all terrific. Some absolutely beautiful visuals, the Gargantua entry being a standout.

• Like 6

Second viewing re-affirmed my A- and I could almost stretch it to an A, but A- feels right to me.

* The awesome TARS

* Hans Zimmer theme

* The TRUE crushing realization that 23 years have passed in a matter of hours.

* Hans Zimmer theme

* A black hole, wormhole & waves of water hundreds and hundreds of feat high

* Hans Zimmer theme

* The moment Matt Damon actually blows up his shuttle and part of the Endurance. 

* Hans Zimmer theme

* The realization that he was the ghost and the emotions that build up ... and you know you should have expected it earlier, but who cares. 

* Hans Zimmer theme

* Dat typical Nolan amazing ending where you leave the theater feeling like you'd drive off a cliff if he asked you to.

Feels good man.

Edited by Adam
  • Like 9

I've thought about it for 24 hours and it's in my top 3 Nolan movies with Memento and The Prestige. Could easily see Interstellar being revered as his greatest film in 30 years. Thank you Paramount and WB for having the courage to make this movie on such a big budget.

A (9.5/10)

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 16

1st Act: Very good, very Spielbergian.

2nd Act: Pretty good, feels a bit messy at parts and has a couple moments I shook my head at for the artificially-induced character stupidity, but it overall worked very well

3rd Act: And here is where the film lost me. A visual treat and designed superbly, and technically all of its pieces fit together, but it simply just does not work for me.

• Like 1

Saw this a second time. This is easily an A grade. Honestly, I was really let down by TDKR. So, I am glad that I like Interstellar. It's kind of funny seeing people have the opposite reaction who loved TDKR and yet are let down by Interstellar. Perhaps, the sign of a great director is when different people like and dislike your movies for different reasons.

I must be a real outlier then as I loved both TDKR and Interstellar.

However Interstellar is hands down Nolan's best film in my mind. Better than any of the Batman films or Inception. Better than even Prestige and Memento for me.

• Like 2

What bothered you about the third act?

It just did not gel together for me (like Mann's imperfect docking procedure with the Endurance). I loved the visuals and the design and setup was a treat, and everything about the physics and space-time made perfect sense, but I just couldn't buy into it because of how precise and calculating it was. Nolan tried to go for the emotional sucker punches in the most cold and clinical of ways. Compared to the emotional beats in the first act, which were totally earned and genuine, everything in the third act with Cooper and Murph just felt way too contorted to provide a very convenient answer to ensure Nolan got the payoff he wanted. And Cooper miraculously ending up deposited floating in orbit around Saturn at exactly the right time for him to get picked up so he can meet old Murph on her deathbed just in time for her to say okay I saw you now GTFO after 30 seconds just did not work.

If it had actually been aliens consistently guiding and observing and very occasionally intervening, that would have tied things together a lot better than Nolan handwaving "it was us from the distant future creating a closed time loop" at the last possible second, because it makes things far harder to swallow with a perfect design lining everything up perfectly than the original alien concurrent premise.

• Like 3

Well, I for one am glad it didn't lift the alien angle straight out of 2001.

Who knows? Now an argument can be made that the aliens in 2001 are actually 5-D beings and the space pilot who goes through the worm hole becomes the star child as a result of our intervention as 5-D beings and if it were not for the space pilot becoming the star child then the 5-D beings would never exist.

• Like 1

Shorter version, instead of the 2001 alien angle which would have tied in quite well with everything, Nolan gives us

it-was-me-austin-o.gif

And it felt way too contorted and artificial to justify

In hindsight I should have said

"AWSONOFABITCH"

• Like 2

Take my money Nolan

You'll love it Pink. Expertly handled Nolansition, a William Devane cameo, Michael Caine giving a quasi-German accent, Hans Zimmer's Space Organ, Visual delights, and Nolan trying to make all the grown men cry

Well, I for one am glad it didn't lift the alien angle straight out of 2001.

I understand that. I think the finale definitely is hit-or-miss because it comes down to whether or not an individual completely buys into what Nolan is selling there. 

• Like 1