Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

On 15/12/2016 at 2:04 AM, Cochofles said:

What was the major complaint(s) about Prometheus ?

On 15/12/2016 at 2:28 AM, Goffe said:

Dumb characters. No that I share that complaint, I thought it was great.

On 15/12/2016 at 3:39 AM, Xinau said:

Character actions that didn't seem logical/rational. 

A story that set up a lot of interesting questions that it didn't answer, or didn't answer very satisfactorily for a lot of people. Sequel-baiting, basically.

An ending that felt a bit too much like fan service.

Production design (at least for the Engineers) that deliberately de-emphasized Giger's influence.

I don't mind "the dumb scientists" as much as I do "the dumb pilots" who

Spoiler

suddenly blindly follow the order of the suddenly messianic captain to trash the expensive spaceship into the indestructible alien ship, thereby removing the only means of getting everybody out of the alien planet. What motivates Elba's character to go on a suicide run ? How a pair of civilian pilots would just decide to be martyrs without any character development??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Reveal hidden contents

If I remember correctly:

Spoiler

Shaw convinces them that the Engineer is going to go to Earth to unleash the bioweapon (the whole "there will be no home to go back to" line). That was their only chance to stop the ship from taking off.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

If I remember correctly:

Hide contents

Shaw convinces them that the Engineer is going to go to Earth to unleash the bioweapon (the whole "there will be no home to go back to" line). That was their only chance to stop the ship from taking off.

There is no proof the Engineers are going to do that. The whole thing is very contrived. The pilots could eject as they steer the ship to hit the Engineer's. If they are some kind of military personnel, it may be easier to swallow. But they are civilians....:huh: Petting an alien snake in a scary cave is less contrived than this.

48 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Hide contents

suddenly blindly follow the order of the suddenly messianic captain to trash the expensive spaceship into the indestructible alien ship, thereby removing the only means of getting everybody out of the alien planet. What motivates Elba's character to go on a suicide run ? How a pair of civilian pilots would just decide to be martyrs without any character development??

Yep. Don't get me started ;) It's a beautiful movie to look at, but the story and characters didn't work for me at all.

9 minutes ago, zackzack said:

There is no proof the Engineers are going to do that. The whole thing is very contrived. The pilots could eject as they steer the ship to hit the Engineer's. If they are some kind of military personnel, it may be easier to swallow. But they are civilians....:huh: Petting an alien snake in a scary cave is less contrived than this.

I'll concede that it wasn't the best written scene and that they seemed oddly gung-ho about it. It's been a while since I've seen it though.

On 12/10/2016 at 0:20 PM, Cochofles said:

I am a huge fan of Alien and Aliens, and I am still clueless as to why they keep unearthing the dried-up carcass of this franchise just so they can unleash yet another mediocre entry that audiences quickly forget. Same thing happens with the Terminator series...

Just let it go, Hollywood.

If James Cameron announced tomorrow he was making the Terminator 3 he always wanted to make you can bet people would be excited.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, Grand Moff said:

Oh, I like her as an actress. I'm just saying the film looks like it's going to try and be riding on nostalgia and callbacks and not andd much new again.

It worked for another science fiction series last year....:ph34r:

• Like 5