babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

3 hours ago, StevenG said:

The only laughter that I got as a result of having watched the Suspiria remake trailer was when I remembered how laughable the death scenes in the original Suspiria were. Sorry, but no amount of "classic status" can negate that those murder scenes were ridiculous.

Argento is devastated as he was going for hardcore realism in his grisly fairy-tale about witchcraft.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I actually really liked that trailer. Didn’t think I would and I haven’t seen any of the other versions. It started off kinda eh, but ended great. Not a country music fan, but I liked what I’m hearing so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Idk when I first watched the trailer I thought it looked pretty lame, but getting it a few more times it’s starting to grow on me.  I doubt it’ll even come close to being as good as the 1954 one though.

That version was panned at release by critics due to the abysmal edit made to the film by the studio. 17 minutes of footage that was cut was restored in the ‘60s, resulting in the film that most of us know today. 

It has its problems, but Judy Garland is sensational. It is one of the all-time upsets that she lost the Best Actress Oscar for her greatest on-screen performance. 

Edited by Chaz

17 minutes ago, Chaz said:

That version was panned at release by critics due to the abysmal edit made to the film by the studio. 17 minutes of footage that was cut was restored in the ‘60s, resulting in the film that most of us know today. 

It has its problems, but Judy Garland is sensational. It is one of the all-time upsets that she lost the Best Actress Oscar for her greatest on-screen performance. 

Panned is a strong word, I think. The uncut 181-minute version was released initially and the reviews for it were out of this world, it was weeks later when exhibitors complained that they couldn't cram enough showings into a day that Jack Warner decided to take an axe to it. Critics presumably knew what the deal was, the public definitely must have felt cheated. The most despicable part of the whole thing is that WB didn't even care to put those cut 27 minutes into their vaults for posterity or anything, or preserve the master print in its original length. They just instructed theaters to destroy it. Thank god not all of them did and we at least got ~20 minutes of footage and all the audio restored. I still hope the complete version will resurface someday, there've been rumblings that it exists in a private collection. 

It's an incredible movie, if not in my top 10 of all time then just outside. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

i doubt any song on this can be as big as a song from the bodyguard. unless drake or cardi b has a supporting role in this we don't know about. unless youre adele you're not getting to #1 w/ a popstar ballad.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i doubt any song on this can be as big as a song from the bodyguard. unless drake or cardi b has a supporting role in this we don't know about. unless youre adele you're not getting to #1 w/ a popstar ballad.

Maybe Imagine Dragons makes a cameo, perform their masterpiece and then leave. @Chewy

• Like 1

Saw the trailer on the big screen for the first time today and totally feel it. 

The trailer and the songs are phenomenal.

edit: It was a way shorter trailer. It's nowhere to be found online. Strange. 

Edited by Poseidon

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Well, the Hot 100 doesn’t necessarily tell the whole story. The Greatest Showman soundtrack has been huge this year on the album charts.

4 hours ago, MrGamer said:

Interesting, although Jeff's not the best gauge for critical reactions. He's often disappointed in a lot of intellectual films (not saying this is intellectual, but) and heaps praise on bro movies like Skyscraper and Patriot's Day. 

Funny so many saying "Gaga can't act."  Gaga herself is an "act."  It's a persona she adopted to artistically differentiate herself.  Germanotta is "acting" anytime you see her as Gaga...so I'd say she's been pretty successful. 

So yeah, it's kind funny that she prefers to go by her "stage name" for this...unless it's not her choice. 

I'm no fan of her music or anything, but just saying there may be more than meets the eye here, once the thing is seen as whole.   And yeah, the '54 version is ace.  What I really want to know is what people think of Babwa's version...and Neil Diamond's 1980 Jazz Singer. 😁