Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

:rofl:  :rofl:

There's nothing confusing or disappointing about these numbers.

Can you imagine the collapse and mass panic that would have ensued when Empire Strikes Back came out if the internet was around back then?

We don't need to imagine, we were around for Attack of the Clones  :P

And we'll be around when it happens again for Episode 8

Thank you.

And it wasn't meant to be pot stirring.  I think it is the general feeling.

The number is fantastic but not very satisfying.

It didn't even hit any 'even number' milestones much less records.

I think the only people happy today is Disney and Noctis

Of course the thread title isn't pot-stirring. It's shit-stirring. :nudgewink:

Congrats on joining the mod squad. You'll fit right in.

I don't understand.. FOX says 187M this morning and now it's 193M??? Where was the increase???And I wonder if the News outlets will correct that or say fuck it and move on with people thinking it made less than what it really did??

Sun was underestimated by a few millions. Rth confirmed this. ;)

• Like 2

Can you imagine the collapse and mass panic that would have ensued when Empire Strikes Back came out if the internet was around back then?

I get what you're saying, baumer, but I don't think that "it's still a lot money" argument flies, because you could apply that to almost anything. Let's say it had made "only" 150m, that's still a shitload of money, but wouldn't you call it disappointing? I mean, this is a sequel to The Avengers we're talking about, not Ex Machina. So where would you draw the line? For me, below 190m would be somewhat disappointing. And again, disappointing does not equal bad.
  • Like 1

I dont understand how anybody can think this will not even make 450m. It got an 'A' cinemascore! Thats really really good and kind of ends all doubts about WOM. I had thought this will get B at the most. This is going to play like MJ1 - lower than expected OW but higher than expected Multiplier. There's no way this won't even have a multiplier of 2.4. I am thinking of a 2.55-2.6 Multiplier for something between 490-500m.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 3

Empire opened bigger than Star Wars and only finished 11mil behind its final total.

The 300mil figure on Mojo doesn't take into account the 4 re-releases Star Wars had in 78, 79, 81 and 82. Its initial gross was 220mil for SW and 209mil for Empire.

• Like 4

True, but we're used to sequels opening bigger in this day and age, even if the previous film broke the OW record (Batman managed it four times, after all). AOU was perfectly set up to at least match its predecessor's OW, especially since every movie in Phase II exceeded expectations at the box office.

Edited by Darth Homer

I dont understand how anybody can think this will not even make 450m. It got an 'A' cinemascore! Thats really really good and kind of ends all doubts about WOM. I had thought this will get B at the most. This is going to play like MJ1 - lower than expected OW but higher than expected Multiplier. There's no way this won't even have a multiplier of 2.4. I am thinking of a 2.55-2.6 Multiplier for something between 490-500m.

cinemascore means nothing thats why

People are actually comparing AOU to Empire? GTFO 

10 years from now AOU will still be considered the inferior sequel that it is. There will be no revisionist history. 

Never mind

Edited by Deathlife