kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

9 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I wonder what political agenda caused the critics to give this movie such a high rating 

The Pro-Moustache movement that has reached a pinnacle with this film. The backlash reached historic levels in The Justice League, where the violent removal of Cavill's moustache was deemed unnatural, ignorant and disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've just watched the first three and am halfway through the fourth. Great series so far. 1 was good but felt very dated and seemed more like a two hour television episode, 2 was so boring (except for the last half hour) that I almost stopped watching entirely, 3 definitely put the series back on track and has a perfect mix of action and intrigue, and 4 seems to be even better, from what I've watched so far.

8 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Wow, Oscar push for MI6?

For action, yes. The characters are just kinda... there. The story is serviceable. The action is great, it’s well paced, and very entertaining. If Mad Max (a two hour car chase) can get nommed I don’t see why this can’t be.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Its a franchise for old people. Great reviews didnt help Mad Max or Ape films much.

Of course they did (with the exception of maybe the last Apes film). An idiosyncratic, serious desert-set post-apocalypse action movie like Mad Max would never even open to 45m without gushing reviews, it'd underperform or bomb outright. 

what's interesting about MI2 is that reviews weren't terrible (they were more mixed-positive) and it had decent legs at the box office. It was in that six year gap between MI2 and MI3 that people soured on it. Guess the novelty of John Woo's action in a PG-13 blockbuster helped it out a lot when it came out

Edited by John Marston

5 hours ago, Noodlebug said:

I've just watched the first three and am halfway through the fourth. Great series so far. 1 was good but felt very dated and seemed more like a two hour television episode, 2 was so boring (except for the last half hour) that I almost stopped watching entirely, 3 definitely put the series back on track and has a perfect mix of action and intrigue, and 4 seems to be even better, from what I've watched so far.

3 is better than the rest

28 minutes ago, John Marston said:

what's interesting about MI2 is that reviews weren't terrible (they were more mixed-positive) and it had decent legs at the box office. It was in that six year gap between MI2 and MI3 that people soured on it. Guess the novelty of John Woo's action in a PG-13 blockbuster helped it out a lot when it came out

It's still the highest grossing MI film domestically, though the first beats it domestically adjusted for inflation.

Edited by Jay Beezy

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This is a fun one. 

It was during that weird little period of time where people still thought the “new millennium” would lead to some kind of overnight instant change.

Basically people were uncertain over James Bond’s place in the 21st Century. The Cold War was done, people thought the sexism wouldn’t fit in our “new world”, cyber warfare has replaced espionage, Bond was stuffy and old, a 50 year old relic of a time gone by etc. Films like XXX and MI2 were considered as being a Bond replacement (this is totally how those films was marketed here’s a quote Vin Diesel)

”Look, James Bond is cool,” says Diesel. ”He’s the father of all movie spies. But James Bond is a leftover from the Clark Gable mentality. James Bond is a guy in a suit, and I don’t know a kid today who wears a suit. My character is totally different. He doesn’t give a s— about anything but himself and his thrills. He’s a guy who’s proficient at what he does because of all the time he spent not doing his homework and instead learning how to do Superman seat grabs on a motocross.”

A quote from the press

He stars in the much-hyped XXX, a spy film, which may threaten the James Bond dynasty, presenting an alternative to the young generation of moviegoers --- the ones who could not connect with the suave Bond.

It all lead to a weird situation where people didn’t know what to make of these new spy/action films. They were bad but because they were new, fresh, and different from tired old Bond they were praised for being “innovative”. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cookie said:

For a John Woo film MI2 is shockingly dull outside the last act, and it's so late 90s/early 2000s extreme that it ages badly.

Yeah, there really isn't anything in the way of proper action until the last act. Like no one fires a bullet until then.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Saw it.WOW.Velieve the hype guys and go watch it on the biggest screen possible.It's a monumental achievment. Honestly it should be celebrated as one of the best action movies ever.Just insane.

Story was servicable and you could see the twist coming from the get go,if not the trailers,but it was still a good,well-constracted and well-paced story and  the cast was amazing,the stunts were next level,cinematography was breathtaking(they are rhe real heroes honestly)and McQ has soldified his place as one of my favorite directors.I really hope the rumors are trues and he does MOS2.

Which brings me to Cavill.Absolutely terrific.Since Superman i was always rooting for this guy and he did an amazing job as Supes imo but here you get to see another aide of him and i hope that some of the elements he brought to August Walker he will also use for Supes.Like Walker is the exact opposite of Supes but Supes could use the bad-assery and charm and wit that Cavill showed in spades here.

Also huge shout out to my two crushes aa well.Basset and Ferguson are always top notch.And they are also terrific here.As always.I could honestly listen to Basset speak and do her thing for days without getting tired.

9/10 and best movie of the year so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3