BoxOfficeZ

Monday 6.8 IO, 6.4 JW, 3.6 TED2

I want IO to get that record from Greek Wedding (mostly because Greek Wedding deserves no records, ugh), but it looks likely to me that it would win the weekend. 

JW has burned through so much demand plus it has a more direct competition for its audience this weekend (even if TG ends up flopping, it still will probably take some audience away).

I want IO to get that record from Greek Wedding (mostly because Greek Wedding deserves no records, ugh), but it looks likely to me that it would win the weekend.

JW has burned through so much demand plus it has a more direct competition for its audience this weekend (even if TG ends up flopping, it still will probably take some audience away).

Plus it's losing some IMAX/PLF screens. Takes away premium tickets.

Edited by keysersoze123

Rest of the weekdays should be pretty good...

1. Discount Tuesday

2. Wednesday is a Canadian holiday so that should be a good boost compared to last week's harsh 28% drop for both movies.

3. Thursday evening should be boosted by millions of people off work on Friday.

4. Due to the holiday on Saturday, many office workers will be off on Friday.

Saturday's box office will suck of course, haha.

Could you guys explain why saturday will suck, first time i hear about a negative holyday effect :(

I want IO to win the weekend and even considered it at one point, but I'm not underestimating JW again.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to fourpeat and defy expectations once again (most weren't expecting it to threepeat either), but I can see why odds are against that happening this week.

Could you guys explain why saturday will suck, first time i hear about a negative holyday effect :(

The 4th of July is Independence Day in the US.  Thursday night will be pretty busy, Friday as well.  Sunday will play kind of normally but Saturday in the US will be a time for many to go to fireworks, have bbq's and generally do stuff besides go to movies.  The 4th always has drops on it.  The weekend after the 4th has some really low drops.  So to compensate for the kind of poor box office this weekend, you can look for films to drop anywhere from 10-35% next weekend.  

• Like 6

Figuring out how JW might do this week is difficult because there is no movie to compare it to in 2009.  I mean, there's no movie really to compare this to at all but how do you figure out the trajectory this week?  Hangover? Ice Age, maybe?

JW's numbers have been ridiculously stupid that any time it looks to have a somewhat normal drop, it freaks some people out here.  But it just made 6.4 million on it's third Monday.  That's kind of a big deal.

• Like 3