Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend #s: Straight Outta Compton - 26.8M; Mission Impossible - 11.7M; Sinister 2 - 10.6M; Hitman - 8.2M; American Ultra - 5.5M

I'm not even sure anybody's even calling Mad Max a hit from a worldwide perspective. It did about as well as could be reasonably expected minus China, but there's a reason why people are hoping for a sequel, rather than expecting one. Because it's obvious it didn't set the box office on fire, and it's very much a bubble film, that may or may not even have made money. Domestically, I think it's fair to say that it found a pretty good audience for being a Rated R action blockbuster. I would apply the hit tag to its domestic performance.

• Like 5

I'm not even sure anybody's even calling Mad Max a hit from a worldwide perspective. It did about as well as could be reasonably expected minus China, but there's a reason why people are hoping for a sequel, rather than expecting one. Because it's obvious it didn't set the box office on fire, and it's very much a bubble film, that may or may not even have made money. Domestically, I think it's fair to say that it found a pretty good audience for being a Rated R action blockbuster. I would apply the hit tag to its domestic performance.

Agreed.  It's a bubble film and if they decide to make another they'll plan for a smaller budget. (not that they didn't plan for a smaller one to being with)

• Like 2

The first movie was made in 1984 on a budget of $6.4m and was not yet iconic.

True. Granted, the OS markets on that film very big either.

But then after that, it's sequels made big amount of money WW-wise.

T2 made $519M WW. T3 made $433M WW. T4 made $371 WW. True, they decreased WW-wise, film after film.

But with Genisys getting released in China, this one could go over Salvation, WW.

That's a complete fallacy, that domestic is worth more than international. If that was the case, then there wouldn't be any pandering to international markets and rules and such.

Don't put words in my mouth.

People on here (and in Hollywood, really) think of domestic box office before international. That's really not a stretch to say. Obviously that's what people will think of first when analyzing performances. Besides, we only really have experience with Western audiences truly, so that's how we conceptualize these runs.

Besides, domestic distributors don't often get as much back in their global returns as international returns.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 4

When I saw the OW numbers and factored in the usual Marvel multiplier, I wasn't even sure it could hit 150.

Impressive how much better it's held than Captain America and other Marvel films.

Well the competition is weaker compared to what THOR and CA: TFA faced. THOR had to compete with big May openers as well as FAST FIVE back in 2011. In that same year CA: TFA competed with HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS II, TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON and RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

On the other hand, ANT-MAN's biggest competition has been MINIONS which has had not so good legs and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION. Still, it's a good run considering the fact that it's not a popular character.

• Like 2

How is Fury Road, 150m production budget, 152.7m dom + 220.5m os = 373.2m ww not a hit?

If you have an Xm production budget and make Xm dom, 1.5Xm os, I would call it a hit - unless your production budget is much much smaller than the P&A costs. That way making 2.5x the production budget might not cover the combined costs.

Edited by a2k

So this turned out to be another of the classic weekends we had this summer. It really has been feast or famine hasn't it.

While all 3 openers are big losers on an absolute box office take perspective, they aren't that bad when compared to the budget they were made for, American Ultra and Sinister 2 both had a 10M budget, Hitman had 30M. Ultra and Sinister will end up in profit, Hitman won't cause a huge hole for the studio either. I guess this is best case scenario.

• Like 1

Paramount has come out and said we don't know if TG did well enough to justify a sequel. Someone at KJ who works with Skydance knows that this needed to break 500 mil for the next one to be greenlit. 325 isn't going to cut it, even if China comes through. 

The reception does matter. Industry expectations were low for Fury Road. WB had a 150m movie sitting for a couple years after shooting and everyone thought it would bomb. Instead it'll be profitable for WB through theatrical alone. I think WB would rather have Miller work on a DC movie (which makes sense for various reasons) then come back to do another Mad Max whenever he wants. WB doesn't see the franchise as a goldmine but there certainly is interest.

Meanwhile Terminator can't even make as much as Salvation despite bringing back its star. Salvation, funny enough, was also supposed to be a trilogy...

• Like 3