kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

The problem with this film won't be the quality. It will be with the target audience. Who exactly IS the target audience? Older audiences who were into the original? Are they enough to make this big? New younger audiences? Will they exist? I'm just not sure if Poppins stands the test of time and builds on a new fan base enough to really make this huge.

8 minutes ago, jedijake said:

The problem with this film won't be the quality. It will be with the target audience. Who exactly IS the target audience? Older audiences who were into the original? Are they enough to make this big? New younger audiences? Will they exist? I'm just not sure if Poppins stands the test of time and builds on a new fan base enough to really make this huge.

Me :sparta:

6 minutes ago, jedijake said:

It has 9 million trailer views...that just screams 400 mil domestic..:sparta:

• Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, jedijake said:

Families who want to see something wholesome over the holidays/early winter that appeals to all quadrants.  There's nothing else that really fits the bill this year.

You're looking at pretty much the same group that came out to see The Greatest Showman last year.  TGS wasn't about it being an inaccurate historical-fiction flick about P.T. Barnum and his freak show with mediocre reviews.  People who thought that totally missed its success because it sounded crappy on the surface.  It was about it being a feel-good, family friendly movie with catchy songs and entertaining dancing.

Mary Poppins can pull in that same crowd on a much larger scale for the exact same reasons as well as some additional benefits like the known IP, cast, and Disney's backing.  The songs will have to be top notch but if it's all done well, this will absolutely explode.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spectre said:

Families who want to see something wholesome over the holidays/early winter that appeals to all quadrants.  There's nothing else that really fits the bill this year.

You're looking at pretty much the same group that came out to see The Greatest Showman last year.  TGS wasn't about it being an inaccurate historical-fiction flick about P.T. Barnum and his freak show with mediocre reviews.  People who thought that totally missed its success because it sounded crappy on the surface.  It was about it being a feel-good, family friendly movie with catchy songs and entertaining dancing.

Mary Poppins can pull in that same crowd on a much larger scale for the exact same reasons as well as some additional benefits like the known IP, cast, and Disney's backing.  The songs will have to be top notch but if it's all done well, this will absolutely explode.

The songs are the one thing that concerns me. I doubt they can be quite as good as those in the original...but they have to really good.

I think people are talking about "fan bases" and other nerd terms for a film that is NOT a nerdy film. It's like they cannot conceive of any film being a big hit that is not a nerd film.

Let's put it this way;the very successful live adaptations of classic Disney animated films did not have a classic "Fan base" either. And "Mary Poppins" is as beloved a film as any of the Disney antimated classics.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm starting to get a feeling this might be the only Nov/Dec big budget film to get great reception. Even Ralph 2's recent marketing has had me a bit concerned. But if that does happen, all the more reason this is going to be absolutely massive.

This really looks like the only overly appealing mainstream film for the Nov-Dec timeframe

1 hour ago, PANDA said:

This really looks like the only overly appealing mainstream film for the Nov-Dec timeframe

What is your definition of mainstream? I would say that films like "Wreck it Ralph Wrecks The Internet" and "Aquaman" are also going to do well,though MPR will be the big hit this Holiday Season.

I would say in terms of pouplairty , ANimated films and Comic Book Hero movies mainstreamed a long time ago.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm starting to get a feeling this might be the only Nov/Dec big budget film to get great reception. Even Ralph 2's recent marketing has had me a bit concerned. But if that does happen, all the more reason this is going to be absolutely massive.

Ralph had good reception from critics at the premiere; that will be fine.

On 11/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, jedijake said:

I think "everyone" is the word you're looking for.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

I think "everyone" is the word you're looking for.

Exactly.

A film like this does not need a vocal geek fanbase to be a big blockbuster. I think that is what some people just don't get, and why some are really underestimating this.

Of course, if the film turns out to be disappointing (not likely if those reactions to the early screenings are on the level)  all bets are off.

Some people are going to be surprised by how well this will do even in the "geek" demographic.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1