kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

18 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

When do we find out if the oscar buzz is real or just marketing? GG noms? 

It'd really suck for Black Panther, I've seen it in a lot of "experts" short lists (I know some will start with the "fanboys are delusional", but it's even more delusional to think that awards are about the "best" movies, when is just who does a better campaign) but since Disney is never an awards contender (outside some techs noms and animation/songs) I highly doubt they could successfully campaign 2 films. 

Still, the sky's the limit for this movie if it also becomes an awards contender. 

I believe Disney recently hired someone who has had great success with awards contenders as an awards coordinator. It's also arguably helped by a lot of commercial releases like First Man and Widows underperforming, which will hurt them when it comes to awards. Stuff like Panther and Poppins can fit in as the populist hits.

2 hours ago, Nova said:

Emily Blunt is coming for Lady Gaga’s wig. Right @GraceRandolph and @TombRaider :ph34r::stirthepot:

Hopefully not. Gaga’s wigs are ratchet and ugly.  A beautiful woman like Miss Blunt deserves better :stirthepot:.

But wow. I’m very delighted to hear that there is Oscar potential for Mary Poppins. Didn’t expect that! Poor Gaga, first bohemian rhapsody and now another musical STOMPING her back into irrelevancy.  :Venom:

• Haha 3

Marry Poppins over BATB. Marry Poppins over TLJ ...scratch that. Marry Poppins over AIW. Wait, what about BP. No no, over Avatar it is. Final: Marry Poppins over 1b Dom.

Seriously, this could beat Jumanji and aim for BATB if it's a great film and gets awards buzz.