kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm starting to get a feeling this might be the only Nov/Dec big budget film to get great reception. Even Ralph 2's recent marketing has had me a bit concerned. But if that does happen, all the more reason this is going to be absolutely massive.

Spider-Verse?!?

3 hours ago, xxoo said:

Why people are seeing this as another beauty and the the beast, I see it grossing no more then 250milliin

the original adjust to $ 700M dom, but ignoring this

screenings for this are excellent

tracking is already really promising 

no SW this year

competition is not that big besides aquaman and maybe bumblebee

it's a family film with magic on christmas

• Like 1

If someone still have doubts about the quality of this movie after the excellent receptions on screenings... Disney submitted MPR for 17 categories on Oscar.

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BEST ACTRESS
BEST ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST FILM EDITING
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
BEST SOUND MIXING
BEST SOUND EDITING
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST ORIGINAL SONGS

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

If someone still have doubts about the quality of this movie after the excellent receptions on screenings... Disney submitted MPR for 17 categories on Oscar.

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BEST ACTRESS
BEST ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST FILM EDITING
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
BEST SOUND MIXING
BEST SOUND EDITING
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST ORIGINAL SONGS

Considering that the original is one of only a handful of actual Walt Disney Productions to land a BP nom its not surprising if the film is good for them to push it. Oscar is the only thing that has eluded Disney in their whole history. 

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

BEST PICTURE
BEST DIRECTOR
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
BEST ACTRESS
BEST ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BEST FILM EDITING
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
BEST SOUND MIXING
BEST SOUND EDITING
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BEST ORIGINAL SONGS

I don't know if they did, but I hope they handled this one differently than their other live-action movies. The first one has such a legacy and making a sub-par cash-grab sequel should've been out of discussion. 

5 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

I don't know if they did, but I hope they handled this one differently than their other live-action movies. The first one has such a legacy and making a sub-par cash-grab sequel should've been out of discussion. 

Hopefully it’s better executed than their (IMO) sub-par and painfully forgettable live action remakes. 

Edited by Krissykins

Apparently Disney has had mega confidence in this for awhile and they didn't move Solo to December because they liked this so much, so I wouldn't be stunned if this makes some real noise awards wise (probably not picture, but a Globe Comedy win is possible). I still think it hits 300. It's just so....Christmas-y.

Regardless of how good this might be, there's still the issue of not having a teen audience to really push its box office numbers. Even Pixar movies all have a very strong teen following and teen girls LOVE the princess movies. Not sure where this one will draw from to get huge numbers.

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Could see $600m+

Disney is killing it this year

Well, it needs to open much higher than Jumanji 2 (like $70-120M+ OW), and have the legs & WOM of ”Titanic” in order to get to over $600M+ DOM.

And that can be pretty hard to do. Since how many movies get to over $600M with an OW lower than $182M? Not many.