CJohn

Dora and the Lost City of Gold | August 9, 2019 | Paramount | Live-Action Adaptation | James Bobin directing | Isabela Moner to play Dora

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

If this movie does well and has good reviews, we'll get posts about which Marvel movie James Bobin should make. It's quite sad actually. 

God, I wish I could argue agains this post. :(

Thoughts on this much debated trailer:

As an action-adventure film for children and young teens, it looks INSANELY cheesy, sometimes to unfunny and downright cringey levels. I think that's the reason why a lot of the so called 16-45 year olds don't find the same appeal in this than they do in the more popular franchises, as those seem to balance their camp with much better style. And just because it's made for children, doesn't mean that an adult can't judge it or find appeal in it. That's the same fucking prejudice I've heard for animated films for years, and it pisses me off. Yeah, it's not made for me, but so what? I watched Se7en when I was 7 years old and loved it. Storytelling is universal, and while one can and should always have a target audience in mind, a narrative should nevertheless speak to as many people as possible. And an adventure film made for a younger audience has almost an obligation to speak to as many people, parents included, as possible. Otherwise, we can teach children to be content with the laziest, hokiest products possible and that's no good for them. With that said, this doesn't seem offensive by any stretch and it should delight the kids just fine, so at least its specific target audience will be pleased for sure.

As a Dora The Explorer movie..... it looks reeeeeeally bizarre and I don't know whose idea it was, but.... whu? Tell me something: would you make a Rugrats movie about a bunch of drug addict young adults? Cause that's not too different of a dissipance between source material and film as what we're getting here:rofl: I'm not saying I'm a Dora fanboy or the films always have to be like the source material, especially since if you take the Dora IP out of it, it doesn't look that horrible. Cheesy, cringey and unfunny, sure, but there's still an oddball charm to it. However, if you're gonna make this a Dora movie, what's the point of making it a Dora movie if you're not really gonna stick to the source material? It just doesn't feel right that you call this "Dora" and it's so tonally apart from what Dora has always been that it doesn't feel like the same thing at all. Not that what Dora was originally was necessarily good, but this isn't that much better and its attempt at doing whatever it's doing feels laughable. Why not just make it an original fil---oh, because it wouldn't sell as many tickets.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think I’ve been a bit too harsh on it, it looks like one of those cheesy and cringey Disney Channel film but has some kind of charm. That said, Boots looks awful.

The only real problem for Dora is competition. That period is stacked. TLK in its third week. Artemis Fowl coming out a week after Dora (though is there any buzz for that one?). Angry Birds 2 coming out two weeks after Dora. So lots of family competition even with Dora skewing heavily female which other 3 don't. we'll see. 

6 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

this looks like a disney channel movie

Which isn't a knock per se as those films are serviceable for the audience, which is what Dora really is as well.

Not too unlike how a Hallmark movie is really, for said intended audience. They aren't "bad" to watch but you aren't going to pay $12 to see it either. Watch it while you fold 3 loads of laundry, sure, why not. 

Edited by Captain Craig

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rosycordero/2019/03/07/isabela-moner-learned-indigenous-peruvian-language-to-play-dora-the-explorer/#4c3693475ff6

"The Peruvian community is going to flip! Dora's adventures will take audiences to Machu Picchu where they'll explore the Incan culture. I had to learn Quechua to speak it in the movie because Dora is very cultured and she knows everything about everything. Between scenes, I'd call my great aunt in Peru to ask her about certain phrases and how to say them in Quechua.

I'm still trying to grasp the fact that Peru is finally being represented so largely in Hollywood because it never has before. This is going to be huge in every sense of the word.

I kind of want it to succeed on this enthusiasm alone. It may look corny to us but if the spotlight is on a country and culture we don't often see that seems to have been made with care, that's good.

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Artemis Fowl coming out a week after Dora (though is there any buzz for that one?).

There are dozens of us.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

I don't get the hate for this.

It's because we're not the target audience.  Time and time again, members on this board demonstrated they (we?) have a hard time relating to movies not tailored specifically to their wants and needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1