grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

I finished re-watching the trilogy last night and clearly you guys want my thoughts on them so here you go.

Eleven - Perfect movie. Every time I watch it I just end up loving it more. Straight up in my top ten of all-time.

Twelve - Not quite as slick as the first but it's aware of that and goes off and does it's own special thing. Whole thing is gloriously meta, which some people aren't on board with but they're wrong and dumb so it's fine. The heists aren't quite as enthralling as the one in O11 but the cast makes up for it. They're so much fun together. Added bonuses are the freeze-frames, which are probably the best usages of freeze-frames in film history.

Thirteen - Something of a return to the formula after people couldn't handle O12, but it's a good formula. The main heist is really creative and watching it all come together is tremendously entertaining. Soderbergh goes nuts with the colours in this one. Some shots are just ENTIRELY one colour, it's crazy. So many bold primary colours slammed together. You get touches of that in the others but Soderbergh really cuts loose in this one. Good stuff. You see it a lot in some of his more recent ones like Side Effects and Magic Mike as well. I think I need to do a deeper dive into the Soderberghs now. Anywho, this one probably has the most wrinkles out of the trilogy, for me anyway. The seduction plot is kinda wack and is only saved by how much the fake nose makes me laugh (I only just noticed in this latest viewing but Damon calls the fake nose plan The Brody lmao). Cutting out Julia Roberts is pretty sad and I wanted more of Zeta-Jones, but the script doesn't really leave much room for them so I understand why but it's a bit of a shame. Still, I liked it a lot more than I remembered this go around.

After watching them all again for the whatever numberth time, I feel safe to say that this is my third favourite film trilogy ever after LotR and Before. Love all three to bits. I think Ocean's Eight is really gonna miss the energy and jazz Soderbergh brings to the table (especially because they replaced him with Gary fucking Ross) but hopefully it captures a bit of the magic that makes the first three tick.

Damn, now I gotta watch all of them again, specially because you listed LOTR and Before as your favorite trilogies ever which is pretty much what I think as well.

I don't remember much about O13, but I love the other two. Good timing for a rewatch then.

Also, I'm really looking forward to your opinion on the O8 now.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Hmm this hasn’t transpired yet. 

79% with 76 reviews. 

It seems like it might stabilize around this range after all. I don't see it falling under the 75-80% range.

Similarly Jurassic World is probably staying at the 65-70% range.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

It's now at 83 reviews and still at 76% so the Certified Fresh is all but locked. 

Not necessarily.   If the movie is on the bubble RT can often take a wait and see that it doesn't dip below 75. 

Though if there's a crazy enough fan bugging RT they might do it as soon as possible (see someone from this forum and Interstellar - which then went down to 71% but stayed certified since it didn't slip under 70% :lol: )

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Not necessarily.   If the movie is on the bubble RT can often take a wait and see that it doesn't dip below 75. 

Though if there's a crazy enough fan bugging RT they might do it as soon as possible (see someone from this forum and Interstellar - which then went down to 71% but stayed certified since it didn't slip under 70% :lol: )

8 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

RT score 71%, will drop to 60s?

Good thing they waited :jeb!: 

On 6/6/2018 at 1:21 AM, CoolEric258 said:

Haven't gotten around to 13 yet, but 11 and 12 are equal in quality, but they work in their own special ways. 11 works so well because of Danny and Rusty (I would kill to have a freindship like theirs), the inventive editing, the actual heist itself, the suspense and danger, and that great first ending against the fountain. The one thing I feel that does hurt it though is the epilogue thing with Danny and Rusty and Tess. I feel like if it just ended with the characters walking away from the mountain, especially with that gorgeous music.

Ocean's 12 works well simply because it doesn't take itself remotely seriously and is so gloriously self-indulgent. I just like seeing these characters go around Amsterdam. I like seeing Catherine Zeta-Jones as the snooping detective trying to hunt them down. I like Tess pretending to be Julia Roberts in a weird meta angle. I like that Bruce Willis is just...there. I love how many weird twists are in there.

O11 works as a good standard heist film, while O12 is just a wild, good time.

Why didn't Steven Soderbergh do this movie again?

@aabattery @That One Guy

Finally got around to O13.

O11 = O12 = O13

I think this is one of the rare trilogies where each film is consistently great. I mean, 13 is a bit too much of a course correction, and it doesn't quite go all out as 12, or have a consistent quality like 11, but I also think it has some of the best moments out of the whole franchise. Al Pacino's great, Catherine Zeta-Jones gets expanded and has a lot more fun things to do, the color scheme is super good (a lot of the single-color shots felt very Magic Mike-esque), Andy Garcia was absolutely wonderful, Casey Affleck's Mexican subplot is...weird, but pretty funny (although maybe it hasn't aged well today), and it probably has my favorite ending out of all of the movies. Only real downside is the lack of Julia Roberts.

It was also through marathoning these movies that I realized what really makes all three great is just how likable and endearing the characters are. In the end, the heist stuff is probably the least interesting aspect to these films, at least for me. These really work so well because Soderbergh really allows these actors to let loose and for these characters to breathe and interact with one another. It's like a wild guys night out with your friends on a fancy vacation, being documented by a guy who is really good at summarizing the best parts of that vacation.

I don't know when I'm seeing O8 (making plans to see it with Mom, but she's always busy with stuff), but I do really hope that Gary Ross is aware the heist stuff doesn't matter, but all the character interaction is what makes those movies special, at least to me. All I want to see a group of friends hang out and have fun, and if that happens, I'll be a happy camper.

• Like 4