#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

I'm just curious how Guardians 2 and Episode 8 affect each other. I know they're a few weeks from each other but could it be another Mockingjay 2 and Spectre situation where Guardians underperforms due to people saving  money for Episode 8. Either way it's a win-win for Disney.

Spectre and Mockingjay openings had nothing to do with Star Wars.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Deadpool OW O/U TFA OW?

If they continue marketing it as well as they have so far and the movie delivers critically as well, then 100+ million opening weekend won't shock me. And yes I know it is R rated and stars box office poison Ryan Reynolds. But this is his last chance to get a breakout hit and become someone who is recognised for years for this role.

Edited by marveldcfox

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Or it could go up. Around the same time on JW's opening day, Deadline said $70m. Ended up almost $82m. Similar jump for this would be $145-150m.

Nah, the same that happened in Portugal will happen in America. No walk ups, just pre-sales.

5 hours ago, water said:

what a disappointing number. not 57m, which is obviously huge, but 71% male. that's abysmal. that means among women this did $57m * 0.29 = $16.5m. dh2 midnight adjusted did $45.7m * 0.54 = $24.7m among women. new moon midnight adjusted did $28.74m * 0.80 = $23.0m among women. and neither of those account for 3d. if tfa did as well among women for previews as dh2 midnight did it would have done $70.3m previews (coincidentally my prediction was 70m) and if it did as well among women for previews as tfa did among men it would have done $91.2m previews. hopefully the final weekend breakdown is closer to 50/50 but wow if there was a box-office-related time to be disappointed in the sexism in the geek community it would be now.

Wow. Shut up. 

• Like 15

So apparently in the UK, The Force Awakens is on course to smash the previous single day record... the one it set yesterday. :lol: 

Thank you to RTH the god. 

Edited by Dan9
  • Like 11