Dementeleus

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

While "adjusting for inflation" is not the only way to measure a film's impact, I think it's a good way to respect and honor the accomplishments of past films in different eras. Otherwise, you end up thinking Shrek 2 was a bigger film than Star Wars on its first release or something like that. It may be somewhat useful as well to divide cinema into two eras, like an older film era, and modern era, which the dividing line being somewhere in the early 1980s when people could start to buy movies for home viewing. After that, it really changed the game. You didn't need to go to the cinema to see a movie anymore. You could wait to see it at home. That clearly makes a big difference in people's viewing habits. 

• Like 8

I think the thing to remember in the past culture was much more focused.

Everyone sort of watched the same films listened to the same music and watched the same tv shows.

Reason was there was limited access.

Now a person in america could have no  idea of Sw7 and watch subtitle Japanese anime all the time.

• Like 9

How can u guys disagree with how I feel? Im not saying u guys have to feel the way I do but for some of u to tell me that my feelings towards following this run are wrong....I mean wtf lol.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

While "adjusting for inflation" is not the only way to measure a film's impact, I think it's a good way to respect and honor the accomplishments of past films in different eras. Otherwise, you end up thinking Shrek 2 was a bigger film than Star Wars on its first release or something like that. It may be somewhat useful as well to divide cinema into two eras, like an older film era, and modern era, which the dividing line being somewhere in the early 1980s when people could start to buy movies for home viewing. After that, it really changed the game. You didn't need to go to the cinema to see a movie anymore. You could wait to see it at home. That clearly makes a big difference in people's viewing habits. 

I see 3 (maybe 4) era's.

Before Television was the norm for everyone to have (60s), Before VCR(60s to early 80s), and Present

I think soon we may have to break of between digital era(2000 something) and pre-digital(before 2000 something). 

I vote Sound of Music as last Pre-TV(Color specifically)

ET as last Pre VCR

The Dark Knight as the last pre-digital era movie(but would be willing to go with Avatar).

Edited by tokila
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Early 80's sounds about right. In addition to home video, cable TV started around that time and gave people more of an option than just 3 TV channels competing with theatrical movies. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

So if Sw7 becomes the best ticket seller since titanic will people stop saying it's only for nerds geeks virgins and basement dwellers.

Because it seems other films baaed on thier bo runs are more geeky and nerdy it seems.

Star Wars has been four-quadrant movies ever since its existence. Saying it's only for nerds geeks virgins and basement dwellers is as wrong as saying Titanic is only for teen girls and Avatar sold all the tickets only for its 3D.

• Like 4

For those maybe interested in how other films may be doing, Big Short sold out its first night here and the audience (wider age range than you'd expect) totally ate it up. I could see this pulling ahead of a lot of the adult fare for Xmas particularly considering its two most direct competitors (H8 and Revenant) are limited.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

James Cameron reading the new estimates.

I7B34eV.gif

Avatar is not likely to even outdo the 1st Avatar but I think James Cameron is still king when it comes to innovation in large scale innovation in action cinema.

Avatar 2 and its sequels are bound to astonish once again. TFA is a nice fan service but it is a tribute rather than anything wholly original. Avatar may be derivative but Cameron works his ass off to impress with his 3D presentation. JJ has the original franchise which always have major potentials for improvement in the area of acting, editing, fx, even storytelling. The major creative elements, the foundation of the universe, already laid down by Lucas. JJ just need to carry on and tweak here and there.

Still a funny gif

1 minute ago, zackzack said:

Avatar is not likely to even outdo the 1st Avatar but I think James Cameron is still king when it comes to innovation in large scale innovation in action cinema.

Avatar 2 and its sequels are bound to astonish once again. TFA is a nice fan service but it is a tribute rather than anything wholly original. Avatar may be derivative but Cameron works his ass off to impress with his 3D presentation. JJ has the original franchise which always have major potentials for improvement in the area of acting, editing, fx, even storytelling. The major creative elements, the foundation of the universe, already laid down by Lucas. JJ just need to carry on and tweak here and there.

Still a funny gif

Bleh. Enough about the soon-to-be-ex-King of the world. 

2 minutes ago, dignam said:

WOW didnt knew, north america = world. 

Dont be pedantic. I don't think Jack was really proclaiming he was king of the world when standing on the bow. And I'll be happy when I see Cameron pen an ad to Disney saying congrats.

6 minutes ago, JeepCSC said:

Dont be pedantic. I don't think Jack was really proclaiming he was king of the world when standing on the bow. And I'll be happy when I see Cameron pen an ad to Disney saying congrats.

Why should he? Avatar will remain most successful movie of all time (probably).

Edited by dignam
  • Like 1

the reason of why titanic being so beloved until now, is that, no major epic love story being released since 1970. The last big scale melodrama since titanic was doctor zhivago during 1965, since then, Hollywood were so eager to produce sci-fi and action blockbuster, like star wars trilogy, indiana jone, ET, back to future, batman, jurassic park, 007 and so on and so forth. Those blockbuster was aimed to meet fan boys's demand. The girl's needs was completely ignored by the time.

When titanic released in 1997, it combined an old-fashioned tragic love story and spectacular visual effect, the hybrid to approach adopted by James Cameron was extremely successful as US and audience across the world are eagerly thirsty for a new generation iconic couple, which was unseen for more than 3 decade.

Even until now, when we talk about the iconic couple on the sea, the general public will still talk about the tale on titanic, not to mention that immensely popular themed song-titanic.

The titanic's success is largely attributed to the girl's power, that's not much films that filled with feminist element able to storm box office.      

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

How can u guys disagree with how I feel? Im not saying u guys have to feel the way I do but for some of u to tell me that my feelings towards following this run are wrong....I mean wtf lol.

I really hope you didn't account my post in that way, I totally accept your way.

Beside that:

I do not think anyone has the right to judge feelings, especially via the snapshots we get of the of a person via a forum.

34 minutes ago, tokila said:

I see 3 (maybe 4) era's.

Before Television was the norm for everyone to have (60s), Before VCR(60s to early 80s), and Present

I think soon we may have to break of between digital era(2000 something) and pre-digital(before 2000 something). 

I vote Sound of Music as last Pre-TV(Color specifically)

ET as last Pre VCR

The Dark Knight as the last pre-digital era movie(but would be willing to go with Avatar).

I vote for the 4 parts version, that is how I look into it since a long time (as in at first 2-3 versions, and later on a 4th got added)

19 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Still a funny gif

You see, if you would have stoped to write after 'Avatar 2 and its sequals are bound to astonish once again.' I'd have said, yes, I think that is a high possibility (for part 2, later ones we do know even less what is coming = even more too early)

But than you had to try to evaluate Avatar by devaluating another franchise.... with IMHO a far too sloppy and IMHO wrong reasoning (I think there are important to the franchise reasons for a lot of details if the movie, NO SPOILERS, so no examples)

And that makes your posts automatically - to me - a fanatic biased one = I might see your next posts automatically a bit more sceptical

5 minutes ago, JeepCSC said:

= not pedantic, don't react affronted if someone points out a formulation not correct (for whatever reason)

• Like 1