Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

1 hour ago, Cap said:

ScarJo not showing up at the premiere... what’s the O/U on her preggo? 🤔

eta:

lmfaaaaaoooooo

🍿

Either way, I am really happy for her. One of my favorite actor. I loved her a lot in Lucy and became a fan. 

8 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel and now Black Widow. Why do critics have to write such things in the first place??

That review was not about Black widow. It was very offensive and disgusting. 

No major critic really wrote anything about Gal Gadot or Brie Larson's voice in reviews for either movie (because that's not really their thing).

Sounds decent enough. MCU reviews are either polite or gushing. These definitely lean more towards the polite end which I suppose doesn't really matter after the year we've had. Shame it's not the lean spy-thriller some hoped for and instead the increasingly frenetic CGI action we're used to.

EDIT - Just read that there's a sequence in the movie set to a somber cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit. If it's done unironically then fucking lol.

Edited by Hatebox

9 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

85% on RT still with 101 reviews. Looks like it will get the certified fresh badge soon.

They must be holding off a bit (usually it’s 80 reviews) as it was going downward steadily for a while yesterday (88-87-86-84) but has stabilised now. Probably today.  

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

top critics score is 7.4/10 , I would say the reviews were not actually mixed but more of typical MCU movie.

We are looking at 80%+ RT score with current trajectory.

I don't see how some were trying to spin it as having more mixed/negative reviews lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

I don't see how some were trying to spin it as having more mixed/negative reviews lol.

Not surprised, it’s a female lead film. Brings out the worst in some. 

Seems the alt right have started using “MSheU” to describe anything Marvel with a female involved. Idiots. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The reviews are very solid.

If only we could take Disney+ out of the equation and this thing would easily be our first $100 million opener in a year and a half. Sigh. 

Not sure it will even without PA but we'll see. Have we gotten any data that PA numbers are significantly that box-office altering? Of course even if they are, it's not like Disney will be complaining obviously. 

59 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Not surprised, it’s a female lead film. Brings out the worst in some. 

Seems the alt right have started using “MSheU” to describe anything Marvel with a female involved. Idiots. 

You know last I checked, aren't insulting labels suppose to be....insulting? 😆Disney should trademark that slogan and (to quote Owen Wilson) "slap it on a T-shirt." 

(OT I'm more annoyed whenever lefties who should know better adopt talking points/memes that originate from the 4chan pits of the Interwebs.)

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Other than the usual franchise war soldiers, you had some folks on Twitter investing hard on the narrative about critics treating this film with "kid gloves" (not my words) and about how studios rig who sees a film first so they can (potentially) get alot of positive write-ups first, get that big splashy RT fresh rating for ads/online discourse/boost PS/etc. before other more critical/potentially negative reviews drop to potentially flatten that rating. 

Thing is, this isn't exactly breaking news. BW and WW84 didn't exactly invent this studio approach with their blockbusters and critics/bloggers. To emotionally invest in outrage over *those* films doing this, it's not a good look. I doubt some of those same folks will exert as much energy on a No Way Home or whatever the hell. 

14 hours ago, Menor said:

Can't wait to see this. The D+ shows have been fun and have some advantages over the films, but for me they haven't quite managed to capture that MCU thrill yet, so I'm hoping this can satisfy that craving. 

I would have to agree and I would boil it down to films being a singular experience alongside the ritualism that a fan goes through for most of these movies. It's not just showing up at the theater and staying for the credits tags (and roll your eyes at people who still get up and leave once the movie ends) but also the pre-release online speculation and trying to read tea leaves with reactions/reviews and of course (at least in my OCD case) trying to place how the movie and characters fit within the MCU canon/universe (case in point, that Oakland ending in Black Panther and I'm thinking "hey Ant-Man and his crew are across the bay from them!") Then looking/reading up Easter Eggs that one might've missed the first time around, which ties into that last point I suppose.

30 minutes ago, RRA said:

Not sure it will even without PA but we'll see. Have we gotten any data that PA numbers are significantly that box-office altering? Of course even if they are, it's not like Disney will be complaining obviously. 

(OT I'm more annoyed whenever lefties who should know better adopt talking points/memes that originate from the 4chan pits of the Interwebs.)

we’ve have evidence for the other way round: availability in cinemas is impacting PA to some extent (Raya watched less than Mulan, Cruella less than Raya). 

Haha, YouTube isn’t 4Chan, but it’s getting there. Full or festering trolls. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

So I'm assuming the Bounding Into Comics channel is ran by trolls, huh?

Yes.  

*thinks about elaborating*

*realizes it has a potential to derail the thread*

*thinks better of it*

Yep.  Pretty much. 👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

So I'm assuming the Bounding Into Comics channel is ran by trolls, huh?

Long Range Box Office Predictions For Black Widow Look Terrible - YouTube

Trolls of their ilk who know their audience of marks and pander to them. It’s why you’ve had Star Wars-oriented YTers “scoop” every week or so that Kathleen Kennedy is going to get fired….for the last 4 years at least. 

Toxicity aside, I respect the hustle/racket they’ve achieved to pay the rent. 

• Like 2