Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

37 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

I will say this: I've called just about every franchise here "dumb children's movies" in the past, mainly as a way to show how ridiculous people get when it comes to these movies. I've never seen anybody get mad at me about me calling them that until now.

Maybe the fact that alongside the "children's movies" argument, you put yourself as more important than the rest of us because of a discussion make the whole thing seems worse and condescent than it should.

It was curious how you complain about a "holier than thou" attitude when you made exactly the same thing, but you know, worse. And you even begin another discussion because of this, so yeah... 

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Florence Pugh is great (and already an Oscar nominee) but this article is pure Clayton Davis clickbait. Black Panther was a Best Picture nominee (and the SAG Ensemble winner that year) and even that couldn't get any of its actors Oscar nominations.

I'm pretty sure if anyone here make a movie, Clayton will make an article talking about Oscar nominations.

The way he hyped everything became even a joke on film twitter hahah.

But yeah i'm pretty sure Florence is great on this, but BW will certainly not get any nominee, maybe effects.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm pretty sure if anyone here make a movie, Clayton will make an article talking about Oscar nominations.

The way he hyped everything became even a joke on film twitter hahah.

But yeah i'm pretty sure Florence is great on this, but BW will certainly not get any nominee, maybe effects.

The awards commentators have had really slim pickings the past year for clickbait articles with movies in general (let alone Oscar contenders) being mostly irrelevant. Still not as funny as this doozy of a headline from Deadline though.

• Haha 1

One of the YouTube reviewers didnt seem to know why Marvel Studios insists on misplaced jokes RIGHT after dramatic moments. If you've ever been to a packed theater on opening night, among the fanatics and cosplayers, you know exactly why Marvel movies will always sway towards the comedic 🙂.

During a typical Marvel movie, say there are 50-60 jokes. Okay, lets say only half of them are going to be hilarious, some will be just okay, the others will totally miss the mark. They will laugh, giggle and cackle at EVERY. SINGLE. ONE 🙂. The misplaced joke could have completely ruined a pivotal moment, doesn't register, HAW HAW HAW!! Its like they're intoxicated, not by actual booze, but the euphoria of seeing their heroes on the big screen.

Now, imagine if you're a Marvel Studios exec watching this at a test screening. You're gonna think you're...funny 🙂! 10 jokes a movie turns to 30, then 60! They know their audience! How do you think Thor finally caught on with the MCU fanatics, after being crapped on for so long? Thor:Ragnarok was SILLIER...HAW HAW HAW. It wasn't this grand script improvement over Thor 2 😂!  I like the movie, but I know the real reason why it succeeded...

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Disbelief 3

46 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

One of the YouTube reviewers didnt seem to know why Marvel Studios insists on misplaced jokes RIGHT after dramatic moments. If you've ever been to a packed theater on opening night, among the fanatics and cosplayers, you know exactly why Marvel movies will always sway towards the comedic 🙂.

During a typical Marvel movie, say there are 50-60 jokes. Okay, lets say only half of them are going to be hilarious, some will be just okay, the others will totally miss the mark. They will laugh, giggle and cackle at EVERY. SINGLE. ONE 🙂. The misplaced joke could have completely ruined a pivotal moment, doesn't register, HAW HAW HAW!! Its like they're intoxicated, not by actual booze, but the euphoria of seeing their heroes on the big screen.

Now, imagine if you're a Marvel Studios exec watching this at a test screening. You're gonna think you're...funny 🙂! 10 jokes a movie turns to 30, then 60! They know their audience! How do you think Thor finally caught on with the MCU fanatics, after being crapped on for so long? Thor:Ragnarok was SILLIER...HAW HAW HAW. It wasn't this grand script improvement over Thor 2 😂!  I like the movie, but I know the real reason why it succeeded...

That “complaint” in particular is used by many youtube reviewers who want to seem more stern and serious as reviewers than they really are. 

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

That “complaint” in particular is used by many youtube reviewers who want to seem more stern and serious as reviewers than they really are. 

😂😂...it's true though! You can get the MCU fanatics to bust a gut over the lamest joke! Oh, a famous mistimed one...Tony Stark and Steve Rogers got finished almost killing each other in Civil War...and they follow that with a deflating mailman joke that totally erased it 😂!

Edited by OdinSon2k14

50 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Reminds me of the folks who preach against “bathos,” so that is one good thing about Marvel: they made some dudes use a dictionary. 

57 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Yeah and the "dark and gritty" crowd on Reddit. Funny how the films that everyone complains about it most in are some of the most popular of the series.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Some people have pointed to In The Heights as a possible overestimation which is possible but it also seems like it's previews may be higher than ITHs entire opening weekend so

ITH never had any hype outside of Film Twitter. They wanted it to become CRA for Latinos and started to overestimated the OW based on their own wishful thinking, not on concrete numbers. BW case is entirely different. Pre-sales support the estimated range (I bet that BOT tracking is used as the basis for it) and it's Marvel starring a popular character. Over 100M is realistic yet estimate still have that large range (80M-110M) just in case. 

• Like 4

In a weird way, the pandemic might have been the best thing to happen to the MCU. It gave audiences a 2 year gap between the end of Phase 3 and the beginning of Phase 4 (the longest gap in the franchise since 2008). There's still lots of uncertainty, but audiences are beginning to return to theaters and I suspect that many are longing for a new Marvel movie.

I don't know if I'm confident about Black Widow hitting $100M OW, but I do think it'll make around $85-90M.

9 minutes ago, JWR said:

In a weird way, the pandemic might have been the best thing to happen to the MCU. It gave audiences a 2 year gap between the end of Phase 3 and the beginning of Phase 4 (the longest gap in the franchise since 2008). There's still lots of uncertainty, but audiences are beginning to return to theaters and I suspect that many are longing for a new Marvel movie.

I don't know if I'm confident about Black Widow hitting $100M OW, but I do think it'll make around $85-90M.

I always thought it seemed somewhat anti-climactic that the first post-‘Infinity Saga’ Marvel movie takes place before IW, but we’ve already had three Marvel shows on Disney+ that deal with the aftermath of EG, so I guess it’s not a huge deal. It still makes this movie seem a bit inconsequential, though. I know it’s supposed to introduce us to the new Black Widow, but in terms of being the first film of Phase 4, that seems a little underwhelming. 

Haven't you learned by now not to count out the MCU faithful?! They'll be out in force, COVID masks and all! After they propelled Thor: Ragnorak to the upset win over DC's "Avengers" team up (setting up the greenlight for Thor 4), I stopped doubting. 

It will either be 100M or slighly below, like 98. Take Fast 9 as a  litmus test! Fast 9 IS a huge franchise, but its nowhere near the brand that Marvel Studios is. YET it was able to do 70M worth of COVID OW business! If that can do 70, I can easily see Black Widow eclipsing 100! 

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 1