Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Why would it have such a dramatically different internal weekend multiplier than TFA, which opened just one year ago on the same weekend? I don't think it will.

THe big issue is TFA was the most hype movie since The phantom menace so it's normal all the fan and even the non fans had to go on thursday night. That's why its preview is so huge. 29 is not 58 so the multiplier will be better for sure unless it acts like twilight....

TFA was THE EVENT of the 21 century in term of film so no even comparable :)

Right now im thinking about 175 180m could go a bit higher or lower ^^ well see.

• Like 1

I think another factor could be schools and offices not being out yet. December 18th I know was the start of the break for a lot of high schools in the area, last year. Christmas fell on the following Friday last year, so a lot of people had that entire week off.

I know the high school my step mom works at doesn't get out until the 21st this time. 

Also a shit load of people literally took days off work last year just to see TFA on opening night/opening day. This didn't have the advantage of being the first Star Wars in 10 years.

• Like 1

The last act of RogueOne had that fucking WOW effect that left me in awe, just like a Star Wars movie should.

I comparison, the final battle about Rey-Kylo s fight in FA was half-assed and not very spectacular or memeorable.

That's your view. The bolded became a sensation with ladies, at least Tumblr ones but possibly others too. No wonder the actors were #3 (Driver) and #5 (Ridley) most searched on Goggle in 2016 (no other TFA actor cracked Top 10 search). And women are actually bigger factor in repeat business. Doubtful they'll come back for the last act of R1 as many times as they came back for Rey-Kylo fight which has been raved and worshipped, etc. 

I stand by my opinion that R1 will play better with fanboys than with GA

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

THe big issue is TFA was the most hype movie since The phantom menace so it's normal all the fan and even the non fans had to go on thursday night. That's why its preview is so huge. 29 is not 58 so the multiplier will be better for sure unless it acts like twilight....

Right now im thinking about 175 180m could go a bit higher or lower ^^ well see.

"TFA is the most anticipated movie in the domestic market of the 21st century so far" is how I would put it.

Globally, the event of the 21st century is clearly Avatar, TFA is somewhere more in the range of HP1, and LOTR3

I don't think it gets to 180 OW, I think 150 at most.

• Like 5

Collateral Beauty is Collateral Damage(although that's a movie already, which is much better than what Collateral Beauty probably is). I heard the trailer was not the movie at all, and it was completely different. No preview numbers yet for that, which is WB and Will Smith

crumbling

20 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

and its sunday hold will be great.

I read Saturday (or was it Friday?) might be impacted by weather, but Sunday should be fine weatherwise, so I think so soo

15 minutes ago, stripe said:

Is it time to open a WWW thread? :ph34r:

every time I see www here I think you mean the ww results, more expected in the threads at international ;)

General:

I've seen a budget of $220m in one article, but The-Numbers.com and Boxofficemojo.com still have it at $200m

I am sooo curious about some articles in 1-3 years, see tax-rebates....

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Objective facts about Force Awkens :

The Good

- It was a good/great/decent (depending on who you ask) film, very well done by one of the most talented storytellers in modern Hollywood, led by a terrific cast.

- The movie had the usual JJ qualities : great writing (dialogues & banter between characters), great pace, great actor's direction, the movie sings when it s good and feels modern.

-It looked good enough visually with some great shots for the trailers.

-Story & emotional  beats mostly worked.

Story wise, there are two fronts, the global narrative and what happens to the characters

What happens to the characters inside the global narrative : this is where JJ tries a lot of things and takes risks, Rey being force sensitive (the theme and name of the movie) , death of characters, Emo Kylo, crumbs for Episodes 8&9, female (hi Katniss !) and black Lead, the final light saber fight, Luke as the macGuffin

And now

The Ugly with the global narrative :

let s face it, this was A New Hope remake through & through, from Rey s journey to the role of the droids to the Mini Me Darth Vader to the third Death Star, that was so overkill, it was a bitter pill to swallow despite the Han joke about it.

Too many ANH & ESB refrences to count really.

It s absolutely fascinating that Disney spent millions of dollars with their secrecy, to hide the fact they made a bonafide remake.

The movie had no creativity whatsoever artistically, from a design standpoint : spaceships, places.

Despite some new creatures here and there, the only creature that had an important role looked literraly like a giant ass hole.

The mandate of JJ was this : make the movie look like it was shot in 1985 for a 1986 release, 3 years after Return of The jedi.

That was my biggest grip with Force Awakens, it never felt like a 2015 movie, scope wise, ambition wise, set pieces & action wise and VFX wise.

I am harsh but the movie almsot felt cheap.

It wasn't, don't put words into my mouth but you know what I mean.

All The Star Wars movies had a WOW effect, yes, even the PT folks, the PT were fucking epic in scope & scale.

They redefined what you could do in a movie when they were released.

Force Awakens was so obsessed with its nostalgia that it never felt grounbreaking in anything visually or technically.

The last act of RogueOne had that fucking WOW effect that left me in awe, just like a Star Wars movie should.

In comparison, the final space (kinda)  battle above Rey & Kylo s heads in FA felt half-assed and not very spectacular or memorable.

Which is a shame because both JJ's Star Trek were spectacular.

That being said, I completely  understand all these choices, Bob Iger was honest with JJ, he said to him :

this is a 4B$ movie, so this new Star Wars movie needs to be the biggest nostalgia rush for the audiences in the History in Hollywood.

And it was, oh, it was, JJ, Lucasfilms played the nostalgia card with an undeniable virtuosity that was quite a sight to behold.

Wich leads me to my final point : the super positive reception of the movie which to me was rooted in the irrational hatred in the english speaking countries for the Prequels.

Most people hate or tolerate the prequels to various degrees (a tiny minority loves them), every conversation you have about Star Wars will end like this :

- The PT sucks !

or

OT> PT

people joke about the PT all the time and not in a nice way , the role of Force Awakens was to erase officially the existence of the PT in people s minds & the bitter taste the prequels left in everyone s mouth.

JJ never really acknowledged publicly the existence of the prequels, he was maddly in love with that spirit of '77, '80 & '83, and 3 generations of Star Wars fans agree with him.

Critics felt that way too.

JJ was simply the right man at the right time & Katheen Kennedy knew it all too well.

Well fucking played folks, now let s try to be creative in Episode 8.

Rian, I am onto you man.

I love this analysis, I'm going to save it in a txt file in my computer :lol:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

No more likes but @DeeCee nailed it so far. Nice going man!

Yeah, I'd be very interested to see how Rogue One is holding on day 2 in Australia.  That is probably actually the best indicator we have for how the rest of this weekend will go in the US.  Obviously a great number doesn't mean Rogue One will do great the rest of the weekend here or vice versa but that is probably the best predictor we can have for the rest of this weekend.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

That's one example. One example does not equal evidence. 

There's not much evidence for this movie period, it's all a lot of wading in the dark.

TFA burned off so much demand so quickly, that if it weren't for the fact it is a spinoff, it'd have nowhere to go but up from previews to OW

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

It's still Star Wars.   It's pre-sales at Rallax's chain were 50% higher than CW and more than that of BvS with more than half of that from the first week of ticket sales.  It has a hardcore fan base that comes out for disproportionately for previews

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Do we have any numbers from Australia for Day 2 yet?

In Perth it is 1:15 in the night(morning, I guess it is a bit too early.

Might be interesting to learn at which time of date in AUS the split per date happens.

@DeeCee middnight, 6°° o'clock, 7°° o'clock, or... like in some other countries?

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1