John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

8 minutes ago, Hades said:

Is Moana one of the animated  blockbuster this year? cause thats about where Sing it heading.

Anything above $200 million for an animated feature or even a live-acton feature is considered a blockbuster.  Maybe its time to increase that to $300 million. 

Not a bad start for Sing, should $9-$11 million today and make $45-$50 million this weekend. Ok starts for Assassin's Creed and Passengers both will need to debut around the $25 million vicinity this weekend, which wouldn't be a problem.

12 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

I've never been more pissed at Disney's marketing until I witnessed what they did to Moana.  If only Disney's marketing team was even 1/25 as smart as Illumination's Moana could have done better OVERSEAS and domestically.  Maybe even hit $300 million.  

Not only for Moana in OS.

Did you happen to have read about what they did in China for SW R1's Chinese title?

It seems they made a kind of big translation mistake that not only gives a wrong impression, but sounds negatively for Chinese 'ears', if I understand the comments in the SW R1 OS thread correctly. :bash:

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

I have a strong feeling that Sing will finish over Moana. You must be a fool to undermine the power of talking-animals. Let alone, singing animals!

:apocalypse:

What a sad day it will be if that happens... and the frightening part is it most likely will happen.  Sing isn't a bad movie in the least, but it just doesn't push the genre forward or do anything new.  It had some great things it was trying to do, but fell flat on execution.  It's a cute movie, nothing wrong with that, but it let me down because I was so hyped for that film.  What animated feature can say they've tried to tackle the issues Sing did: Very few.  And there's probably a good reason why.  If only Sing delivered on all fronts I would be happy for its success.  But compared to the likes of Moana... it's like comparing Magikarp to Arceus. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I have a strong feeling that Sing will finish over Moana. You must be a fool to undermine the power of talking-animals. Let alone, singing animals!

:apocalypse:

It's possible, but the different between the two is probably going to be under $20m either way. 

5 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Not a bad start for Sing, should $9-$11 million today and make $45-$50 million this weekend. Ok starts for Assassin's Creed and Passengers both will need to debut around the $25 million vicinity this weekend, which wouldn't be a problem.

FSS?   Drop Sing by $10m and the other two by more than that.

Just now, CelestialFairyIX said:

What a sad day it will be if that happens... and the frightening part is it most likely will happen.  Sing isn't a bad movie in the least, but it just doesn't push the genre forward or do anything new.  It had some great things it was trying to do, but fell flat on execution.  It's a cute movie, nothing wrong with that, but it let me down because I was so hyped for that film.  What animated feature can say they've tried to tackle the issues Sing did: Very few.  And there's probably a good reason why.  If only Sing delivered on all fronts I would be happy for its success.  But compared to the likes of Moana... it's like comparing Magikarp to Arceus. 

I think we are overdoing it a bit. It's a kid's film and the biggest element is always humour...I have yet to see a film  I enjoyed as a child that isn't rotten :P .