FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

Just now, cannastop said:

Actually, I don't know what you mean. I don't get why some people get worked up about "backlash" on this movie or that movie.

There's a difference between a couple of people who just dislike a very popular movie (Hell, I know people that dislike the Shawshank Redemption and Raiders of the Lost Ark, two near perfect movies for what they are IMO) and a very vocal subgroup of people who try to shape the narrative around a film as "overrated" or "pretentious" or something like that, and if you check the discourse around La La Land, that's happening. When it becomes a cohesive opposition around a theme, whether it be a movie winning too many Oscars, or being copycat, or being overhyped by critics, or being a fraud of some sort, or being something that pretentious people like to be "cool" (check all the posters saying that about Mad Max, for example), I call that a backlash, specifically when it tries to drown out previous glowing remarks. I mean, it's kind of an intangible thing that pretty much everyone on these boards have used for the eight years I've been on here. Why is this suddenly a debate?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

There's a difference between a couple of people who just dislike a very popular movie (Hell, I know people that dislike the Shawshank Redemption and Raiders of the Lost Ark, two near perfect movies for what they are IMO) and a very vocal subgroup of people who try to shape the narrative around a film as "overrated" or "pretentious" or something like that, and if you check the discourse around La La Land, that's happening. When it becomes a cohesive opposition around a theme, whether it be a movie winning too many Oscars, or being copycat, or being overhyped by critics, or being a fraud of some sort, or being something that pretentious people like to be "cool" (check all the posters saying that about Mad Max, for example), I call that a backlash, specifically when it tries to drown out previous glowing remarks. I mean, it's kind of an intangible thing that pretty much everyone on these boards have used for the eight years I've been on here. Why is this suddenly a debate?

Funny that you mention Shawshank Redemption, Raiders of the Lost Ark & Mad Max. 

I actually find all three of those films to be tremendously overrated. 

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Personally it seems a pretentious film therefore I have no interest in watching it.

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Personally it seems a pretentious film therefore I have no interest in watching it.

i always want people to break down what seems pretentious about a film when they use that word as criticism. 90% of the time they're using the wrong word.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i always want people to break down what seems pretentious about a film when they use that word as criticism. 90% of the time they're using the wrong word.

For lordman it's an equation. Above 80 percent on RT+under 300m at the box office. If it has both those factors, it is automatically pretentious. 

• Like 1