FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

15 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

social media data for Beauty & Beast, Fifty Shades of Darker, Hidden Figures, lala land, Spiderman Homecoming

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/beauty-and-the-beast-fifty-shades-darker-social-media-buzz-1201951580/

LOL, Variety still thinks social media chatter means squat. 50 Shades won't make more than Spiderman because that's the kind of a movie that doesn't. No matter how much social media talk about it or re-watch the trailer or whatever. I'd love a surprise just to see fanboy faces when that happens (we need another Titanic-Demolishes-Star Wars shocker) but not gonna happen with this movie. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, Variety still thinks social media chatter means squat. 50 Shades won't make more than Spiderman because that's the kind of a movie that doesn't. No matter how much social media talk about it or re-watch the trailer or whatever. I'd love a surprise just to see fanboy faces when that happens (we need another Titanic-Demolishes-Star Wars shocker) but not gonna happen with this movie. 

Remember the hand wringing by some over the relative softness of social media buzz/trailer views for Rogue One?

Good times, good times.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrPink said:

THIS WILL BE A BIGGER HIT THAN STAR TREK BEYOND :sarah::ohmygod::sadben::kitschjob:

Almost everything is a bigger hit than that flop called Star Trek Beyond. 

I liked it till they revealed the villains back story after which point I was just "Why this nonsense again?". Star Trek writers need to stop going to that well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Almost everything is a bigger hit than that flop called Star Trek Beyond. 

I liked it till they revealed the villains back story after which point I was just "Why this nonsense again?". Star Trek writers need to stop going to that well.

:apocalypse: 

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Is Sing going to be the biggest movie to never hit #1?

I can't see how it doesn't hit #1 though. Rogue One will fall harder and competition from new releases looks really weak. It has a good chance to win the first two weekends of January. Hidden Figures will do well, but I can't see it opening that big. The rest, meh.

What's the current holder anyhow? My Big Fat Greek Wedding, I presume?

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Celedhring said:

I can't see how it doesn't hit #1 though. Rogue One will fall harder and competition from new releases looks really weak. It has a good chance to win the first two weekends of January. Hidden Figures will do well, but I can't see it opening that big. The rest, meh.

Yep, that's the current record holder. It's held it for too long, in my opinion. Inside Out had half of a chance of overtaking it, but it was #1 on a particularly lousy weekend.

4 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Yep, that's the current record holder. It's held it for too long, in my opinion. Inside Out had half of a chance of overtaking it, but it was #1 on a particularly lousy weekend.

Adjusted, it would be Gremlins:

Rank OR^ Title (click to view) Studio Top
Rank
Adjusted
Gross**
Year^
1 302 Gremlins WB 2 $379,681,700 1984^
2 203 Dances with Wolves Orion 2 $376,250,900 1990
3 112 My Big Fat Greek Wedding IFC 2 $356,621,700 2002
4 139 Beauty and the Beast BV 2 $301,054,800 1991^
5 357 Sister Act BV 2 $289,638,600 1992

Suspect THAT is a record that is going to stand for a long long time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I think you switched around the meaning there, because "means squat" = "doesn't mean a thing", which in this case would suggest that Variety thinks it doesn't matter at all, and not that it puts more importance on this than it should :P

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Remember the hand wringing by some over the relative softness of social media buzz/trailer views for Rogue One?

Good times, good times.

Exactly. Nobody knows what GA thinks until GA starts buying tickets, not to mention overseas GA. Studios learned the hard way that social media buzz and Hall H standing O or lack thereof (in comparison to something else) don't guarantee success. So now they smartened up but media outlets such as Variety have to fill the clickbait quota with something and this shit is the easiest way. 

• Like 1