WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm willing to bet if FB and Strange swapped release dates, Strange would've made more than FB DOM.

What assures you that DS would not have opened smaller and FB bigger? Well, I will not argue about an unfounded assumption.

29 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

As for Hidden Figures, I have not yet seen it, I have no clue as to its historical accuracy and until then I will simply refrain from making any comments about it.

It is very accurate when it comes to the three women. Some scenes were added for drama purposes, but for the most part it gets them 99% right.

The white characters besides John Glenn are all fictional, mainly because they couldn't secure the rights to use the real people's names or likeness. 

• Like 2

I see nothing has changed post holidays as far as the conversation goes. Great start for Hidden Figures and mediocre holds for the rest that won't be offset by the holiday next weekend since Hollywood seems hell bent on flooding the multiplexes with bad crap all at once. 

16 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

You know American political structures have dramatically shifted when anything anti-Soviet is seen as "leftist". :lol: 

I think you are conflating anti-Soviet with anti-Russian. Even though there's overlap between the two in many narratives. 

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

The rise of the alt reich globally is proof that, if anything, MORE people should be watching Schindler's List on a regular basis.

Alt left is just as bad. They are the reason for the rise of alt right. Also, alt left is the reason for terrorism in Europe. They let them in. 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Sometime in the next 10 days, Sing will break My Big Fat Greek Wedding's record of "Highest grossing movie to not hit #1". Sing proving to be pretty leggy as well in the end.

Sing will be the official film. Because My Big Fat Greek Wedding was #1 on some dailies and on a weekly in September of 2002 knocking off that shitty teen thriller Swimfan(anyone on this forum has seen that movie?). 

32 minutes ago, Frozen said:

It is very accurate when it comes to the three women. Some scenes were added for drama purposes, but for the most part it gets them 99% right.

The white characters besides John Glenn are all fictional, mainly because they couldn't secure the rights to use the real people's names or likeness. 

Hidden Figures plays around with the timelines of the women's lives, they did face those challenges in their careers but IRL not at the same time as the Mercury launches. If it gets nominated for Best Picture I'm sure someone will try to make it into a ~controversy~ even if a thousand other biopics shift events around like that.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Sing will be the official film. Because My Big Fat Greek Wedding was #1 on some dailies and on a weekly in September of 2002 knocking off that shitty teen thriller Swimfan(anyone on this forum has seen that movie?). 

I've seen it. It's pretty terrible even by trashy sexy thriller standards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Deep down inside, we all know you'd blow up a hospital if Rogue One beats Dark Knight.

But the trigger wouldnt work right away.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I think Chicago also had some weekdays at #1 but never topped the weekends, either. I wonder how many others on the never #1 list were on top at least one day of the week at some point.

Anyway, it will be a sad day for this box office watcher if/when MBFGW loses the never #1 crown, it's a far more interesting run than something that was just blocked by a tentpole or event movie.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, James said:

Beasts is a BEAST! It will finish with about 810-815m WW and around 580-590m OS. Considering that DH2's OS adjusts to about 790m today, that is a 75% retention rate. And from your average Potter movie it actually hasn't lost audience. DH1 adjusts to about 560m OS. 

I love this image:

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $1,341.5 $381.0 28.4% $960.5 71.6% 2011
2 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $974.8 $317.6 32.6% $657.2 67.4% 2001
3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 WB $960.3 $296.0 30.8% $664.3 69.2% 2010
4 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix WB $939.9 $292.0 31.1% $647.9 68.9% 2007
5 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince WB $934.4 $302.0 32.3% $632.5 67.7% 2009
6 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire WB $896.9 $290.0 32.3% $606.9 67.7% 2005
7 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets WB $879.0 $262.0 29.8% $617.0 70.2% 2002
8 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban WB $796.7 $249.5 31.3% $547.1 68.7% 2004
9 Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them WB $794.9 $229.2 28.8% $565.7 71.2% 2016
TOTAL: $8,518.3 $2,619.3 30.7% $5,899.1 69.3% -
AVERAGE: $946.5 $291.0 30.7% $655.5 69.3% -

What? DH2 made 960m overseas. And would be over 1 billion overseas adjusted for inflation. So FB retained around 60% of DH2 audience....not 75%.