Noctis

MONDAY #'s: BATB $13.5m (Asgard)

This is doing well enough prequels or spinoffs aren't out of the question.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/beauty-and-the-beast-sean-bailey-disney-emma-watson-1202047710/

It may take a bit but it's not unreasonable to think this is going to hit 500 million. A lot of competition is coming up but it still can reach it. Even 400+ isn't nothing to look down on.

Edited by Harley

8 hours ago, MrMarosa said:

Less than BvS’s first Monday and in line with CW’s first Monday. Buh-bye, 500 million. 

Even with the whole ”but its a family film!!!" thing, this ain’t making a whole lot more than 400.

8 hours ago, MrMarosa said:

When this film, which is already, and unquestionably, a gigantic financial success (in spite of its being utterly mediocre), fails to gross 500 million, I will sit back and enjoy the excuses, backtracking, and scrambling for arguments to justify it. People are just high on the OW box office fumes and predicting crazy numbers. The OW has burned off demand and this ia no Star Wars. That Monday drop is far from spectacular (2 million less than BvS??). 

3 hours ago, baumer said:

He's a troll.  With very little box office knowledge.  Comparing BvS first HOLIDAY monday to BaTB non holiday Monday shows how BO acumen he possesses.

2 hours ago, MrMarosa said:

LOL Anyone who is not high on the OW fumes of a crappy CGI monstrosity like BATB is a troll? Great moderation skills there, bro. I am gonna laugh so hard at your defense of this POS film when it fails to do 500 m and you all start finding other excuses for it.

1 hour ago, MrMarosa said:

@baumer Box office acumen...so sad not to have it. :( I bet that is a highly marketable skill that tons of high-paying employers seek out. Anyway, good luck with your job search, Mr. Mod...your skills at predicting the BO for crappy blockbusters on an internet message board makes you special. 

1. You keeping talking about what a mediocre crappy CGI monstrosity BatB is and how much you enjoy if it fails is enough for everyone to know that you are personally rooting the film to fail and projecting your personal wish on your prediction, instead of using cold hard objective numbers. 

2. Even after half a dozen users have said you can't compare BatB's non-holiday Monday with BvS's holiday Monday you didn't acknowledge that you were mistaken but came back to troll about how you would be laughing if it failed to reach 500M, even though no one said that it's locked for 500M.

3. When Baumer correctly said that you don't have box office acumen you didn't at least acknowledge it or defend your prediction logically but used ad hominen to attack his character, not his prediction.

4. People say you are a troll not because you aren't "high on OW fumes" of the film but because of the 3 troll-like behaviors above. I was unfortunately in IMBD for a short while and users like you were dime a dozen there.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Harley said:

This is doing well enough prequels or spinoffs aren't out of the question.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/beauty-and-the-beast-sean-bailey-disney-emma-watson-1202047710/

That sounds like a horrendous idea even if this is going to clear $500 mil domestically and over a billion worldwide.  The Beauty and the Beast story is very self contained.  Where exactly is there to branch out?

• Like 2

What I love about this blind adoration and defense of the crappy BATB remake is that some people have actually taken away that I am somehow defending BvS!!! :) Nah. That would be awesome for the staunch BATBheads, because that way they could justify their calling me 'retard' and maybe even the 'troll' accusations,  but I feel that both films —BATB 2017 and BVS— are equally bombastic, misguided, soulless spectacleThe difference is that BvS was the followup to an equally crappy film, while BATB2017 is the followup to a wonderful, beloved film that had more artistry, heart,  and genuine soul in the fricking opening credits than the remake has in its entire runtime. Nostalgia is indeed a potent, common-sense-impairing drug.

Edited by MrMarosa
  • Like 1

This may be a useless stat, but when looking at the top 50 opening weekends of all-time, there are 7 films whose opening weekend Sunday was larger than their opening weekend Real Friday (i.e. Friday sans previews/midnights). 

Only two of those didn’t have Sundays inflated by a holiday occasion:  The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast.

Each film whose Sunday > Real Friday (with all-time ranking): 

• #6: Beauty and the Beast
  • #23: Deadpool (inflated Sunday due to Valentine’s Day)
  • #28: Man of Steel (inflated Sunday due to Father’s Day)
  • #35: Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Sith (inflated Sunday due to Monday being Victoria Day holiday in Canada)
  • #36: Shrek 2 (inflated Sunday due to Monday being Victoria Day holiday)
  • #38: The Jungle Book
  • #42: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (inflated Sunday due to Monday being Memorial Day holiday)

I'm not sure that this means anything (I'm a pro when it comes to putting together useless stats, ha), but if Beauty does end up following more of a family-film trajectory, this wouldn't be surprising to me, given its backloaded opening weekend.

This is something I contemplated after the Friday numbers came out too: whether the film's internal multiplier for the weekend would be frontloaded and play more like a fan-driven film (ala. most superhero movies with huge opening weekends) or not. The opening weekend suggests it may have better legs than your typical blockbuster, but there's certainly the potential that it could prove to be frontloaded anyway. Given the opening weekend is all we have to work off of right now, it will be interesting to see how Beauty fares from here.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Ozbridge said:

1. You keeping talking about what a mediocre crappy CGI monstrosity BatB is and how much you enjoy if it fails is enough for everyone to know that you are personally rooting the film to fail and projecting your personal wish on your prediction, instead of using cold hard objective numbers. 

2. Even after half a dozen users have said you can't compare BatB's non-holiday Monday with BvS's holiday Monday you didn't acknowledge that you were mistaken but came back to troll about how you would be laughing if it failed to reach 500M, even though no one said that it's locked for 500M.

3. When Baumer correctly said that you don't have box office acumen you didn't at least acknowledge it or defend your prediction logically but used ad hominen to attack his character, not his prediction.

4. People say you are a troll not because you aren't "high on OW fumes" of the film but because of the 3 troll-like behaviors above. I was unfortunately in IMBD for a short while and users like you were dime a dozen there.

This pretty much.

A wishful thinking to see a film fail or have bad legs, just because someone hates a film...never fucking works.

I've told this before of people. Just because "SOMEONE" hates a certain blockbuster, doesn't mean that person will be right about it doing lower than expected. That's just self-biased.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KGator said:

I've lived in 10 different states over my life (though for 2 I wasn't there during an Easter) and have never had an "Easter Monday" off.  The only way I could see this happening is for children/teachers who might have their spring breaks scheduled for the week after Easter Sunday.  Other than that . . . who is getting Easter Monday off?  God knows my college spring breaks always seemed to be in early March.  I can see religious schools automatically taking their Spring Breaks over the week after Easter Sunday and I have seen some schools just take the Friday before Easter and the Monday after for "Easter Break" but those are usually the exception.    I'd be all for making the Monday after Easter a Holiday but . . . it hasn't happened yet.

That being said, Easter 2016 was one of the earliest Easters I can remember (Late March?) so I suspect a lot of Spring Breaks just happened to fall the week after which helped boost the BvS numbers.

I've always had Easter Mondays off. I went to Catholic grade school and a public high school. My girlfriend is currently a teacher at a public school, and they also get Easter Monday off...they don't say it's because of Easter Monday, though. They just usually schedule an institute day that day or something else. Point being, I think that Easter Monday is such a large thing for so many people that schools would rather just make up an excuse to give kids that day off out of respect to the amount of people who celebrate Easter. At least where I'm from and what I see.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

This may be a useless stat, but when looking at the top 50 opening weekends of all-time, there are 7 films whose opening weekend Sunday was larger than their opening weekend Real Friday (i.e. Friday sans previews/midnights). 

Only two of those didn’t have Sundays inflated by a holiday occasion:  The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast.

Each film whose Sunday > Real Friday (with all-time ranking): 

• #6: Beauty and the Beast
  • #23: Deadpool (inflated Sunday due to Valentine’s Day)
  • #28: Man of Steel (inflated Sunday due to Father’s Day)
  • #35: Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Sith (inflated Sunday due to Monday being Victoria Day holiday in Canada)
  • #36: Shrek 2 (inflated Sunday due to Monday being Victoria Day holiday)
  • #38: The Jungle Book
  • #42: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (inflated Sunday due to Monday being Memorial Day holiday)

I'm not sure that this means anything (I'm a pro when it comes to putting together useless stats, ha), but if Beauty does end up following more of a family-film trajectory, this wouldn't be surprising to me, given its backloaded opening weekend.

This is something I contemplated after the Friday numbers came out too: whether the film's internal multiplier for the weekend would be frontloaded and play more like a fan-driven film (ala. most superhero movies with huge opening weekends) or not. The opening weekend suggests it may have better legs than your typical blockbuster, but there's certainly the potential that it could prove to be frontloaded anyway. Given the opening weekend is all we have to work off of right now, it will be interesting to see how Beauty fares from here.

Peace,

Mike

Interesting. Yet another thing that links BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and THE JUNGLE BOOK. Aside from the Friday to Saturday increase, these films are performing very similar so far. 

• Like 1

Rth on the money as usual. 

Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 (1) Beauty and the Beast  Walt Disney $13,531,723 -72% 4,210 $3,214   $188,282,339 4
2 (2) Kong: Skull Island Warner Bros. $2,244,002 -73% 3,846 $583   $111,351,438 11
3 (3) Logan 20th Century Fox $1,608,208 -70%
Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 3

At the end of the day, BatB is the first non-animated family film (I consider late Potter to be YA things) to ever open north of 100m, so we're pretty much into uncharted territory. Will it really have >3x legs? Or will it fall on sub 3x territory like most non-christmas megaopeners?

I'm actually pretty excited over BatB's run, and see what we can learn. Ironically, I don't care zilch for the movie itself.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Cant see why BATB wouldn't have good legs. Not much competition and it seems the film delivered what people wants 

I'm going to put it differently. Only three 150m+ openers have done over 3x without a December opening: Jurassic World, The Avengers, and The Dark Knight (and this one back in 2008). BATB getting there would be a massive achievement in this day and age, I don't think we can take good legs for granted when films open this huge.

I guess that there's a legitimate case that it could behave like animated films that opened huge recently and did 3x without much of a sweat (Dory, Pets), but there's such a small sample of live-action family films that open big, that it's really hard to make a case for or against. That's what makes BATB so special. Closest we have is TJB which had amazing legs, but again we're comparing a 103m opener to a 174m one. It's uncharted territory. 

As I said, I'm really excited to see how this run pans out.

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Oh, boy. That MrMarosa is just a completely stupid.......sighs....i can't type this one word when the the mods are hiding it, but let's just say that he's the exact definition of the R-word.

Not a fan of members calling other members stupid either... please don't do it again

• Like 1