grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Spider Man is niche? 😳

I wouldnt call it niche. 

I also wouldnt call a $90m December release from Sony with a $120m ad campaign and 3800 theatres niche either. 

Niche in that animated superhero films are generally speaking an adult niche. Spidey may not be in general as a character but the medium is. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Niche in that animated superhero films are generally speaking an adult niche. Spidey may not be in general as a character but the medium is. 

Agree, but this film needs to do well in the domestic market (not a cheap movie at all) and I'm with a feeling that it will not do well overseas.

But better wait to see what's going to happen, so many surprises this year.

I'm confused as to why the film wouldn't do well overseas? I realize that it being an animated Spider-Man film means it's going to do less dough than a live-action SM film would (I'm assuming) but it's still Spider-Man. This should have some crazy WOM and have a very healthy WW take. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins

Pulse always 8:50-9:04 EST:

Once Upon a Deadpool: 17/15 minutes – had yesterday at that time 20 sold tickets, mmh

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse: 51/15 - yesterday 35, 46% up
The Mule: 43/15 - yesterday 13 so this is a great jump of course, for comparison Widows had 27 same day and time of the day
Mortal Engines: 13/15, yesterday 5

And Pulse always 10:50-11:04 EST:

Once Upon a Deadpool: 46/15 minutes - yesterday at that time it were 45
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse: 119/15 - yesterday 59, 102% up
The Mule: 48/15 - yesterday 20, Widows had 34 same day and time of the day
Mortal Engines: 19/15 - yesterday 7

PS: Saw the Spider-Man trailer today for the first time and it's really such a nice one. Even I'm interested now and I'm not the biggest Spider-Man fan.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I'm confused as to why the film wouldn't do well overseas? I realize that it being an animated Spider-Man film means it's going to do less dough than a live-action SM film would (I'm assuming) but it's still Spider-Man. This should have some crazy WOM and have a very healthy WW take. 

The Lego Batman is still Batman but it didn't do very well overseas. I don't think Spider-verse will be funny for overseas audiences and the movie being funny is mainly what will give it good WOM. Also, don't see the animation style appealing to overseas audiences. I think it could have a good run in places like Japan though. We'll see how it fares against Aquaman in overseas markets this weekend.

10 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Because Lego Movie / LEGO Batman did not do well overseas, I think Spiderverse can behave in the same way as these movies.
But maybe spiderverse will do much better OS than expected (at least for me), let's see 

I can see that, although this could be associated with LEGO itself no? I don't see why Spider-Verse wouldn't be funny for OS audiences though? Where is that line of thinking, along with the animation style not "appealing" to OS audiences, coming from? 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I can see that, although this could be associated to LEGO itself no? I don't see why Spider-Verse wouldn't be funny for OS audiences though? Where is that line of thinking, along with the animation style not "appealing" to OS audiences, coming from? 

Its mainly the humour. What is funny for Americans or English people might be totally unfunny to French or German audiences. Different countrys equal different cultures and as a consequence different tastes for things like humour. For example, The Intouchables was a MASSIVE hit in France and Germany, but it didnt really work anywhere else.

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The Lego Batman is still Batman but it didn't do very well overseas. I don't think Spider-verse will be funny for overseas audiences and the movie being funny is mainly what will give it good WOM. Also, don't see the animation style appealing to overseas audiences. I think it could have a good run in places like Japan though. We'll see how it fares against Aquaman in overseas markets this weekend.

I don't think Spider-Verse will do well in Japan. They are extremely dismissive towards any Hollywood animation that is not Disney/Pixar or Illumination. Because of this, any rival Hollywood animation (DreamWorks, Blue Sky, Sony, Warner, etc) stopped getting wide theatrical releases because they typically bombed and weren't worth the resources. Boss Baby was the first successful wide release from another animation studio in a very long time. Fun fact, it actually released in Japan a full year after its domestic debut. And its success was only because Toho (biggest distributor in Japan) has a deal with Universal (of which DreamWorks is now a part of). 

5 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I can see that, although this could be associated to LEGO itself no? I don't see why Spider-Verse wouldn't be funny for OS audiences though? Where is that line of thinking, along with the animation style not "appealing" to OS audiences, coming from? 

From the actual data we have on similar films. Comedy as a genre struggles over seas. Same with anything animation wise that is not standard in style and universal in theme. Grinch struggles overseas since Suess isnt popular, comedy struggles because it is the most subjective of genres. Think of it also like how little Anime makes in the states (even well crafted and acclaimed ones) and reverse the idea to the rest of the world. 

speaking as someone who has seen Spidey, the #1 thing hurting it OS would be the polarizing animation style. The humor should translate much easier overseas than most Lord/Miller titles methinks since it's not the main focus. This is a superhero coming-of-age first, comedy second.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its mainly the humour. What is funny for Americans or English people might be totally unfunny to French or German audiences. Different countrys equal different cultures and as a consequence different tastes for things like humour. For example, The Intouchables was a MASSIVE hit in France and Germany, but it didnt really work anywhere else.

I understand that but this is Spider-Man, I fail to see why even this particular iteration would not translate. 

5 minutes ago, Blankments said:

speaking as someone who has seen Spidey, the #1 thing hurting it OS would be the polarizing animation style. The humor should translate much easier overseas than most Lord/Miller titles methinks since it's not the main focus. This is a superhero coming-of-age first, comedy second.

Well, I haven't seen anything categorizing the animation style as polarizing really. Fantastic reviews, insane average, awards left and right. I know some won't dig it, but it seems like it'll be a tiny minority. 

Just now, TimmyRiggins said:

Well, I haven't seen anything categorizing the animation style as polarizing really. Fantastic reviews, insane average, awards left and right. I know some won't dig it, but it seems like it'll be a tiny minority. 

He doesn't believe it's polarizing at the critical level...he believes it's polarizing at the general audience level...audiences don't always respond to things critics and award shows love...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

He doesn't believe it's polarizing at the critical level...he believes it's polarizing at the general audience level...audiences don't always respond to things critics and award shows love...

Yep. The animation style is beautiful, but if I've heard one complaint from people either here or in real life, it's that they think it'll give them a headache while watching it. I think the film can get past that on legs but i think it'll deflate the OW (along with, of course, it being a December OW in general)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Yep. The animation style is beautiful, but if I've heard one complaint from people either here or in real life, it's that they think it'll give them a headache while watching it. I think the film can get past that on legs but i think it'll deflate the OW (along with, of course, it being a December OW in general)

This. Have heard it repeatedly. 

• Like 1

The Mule seems to do well in presales, for this kind of movie:

2018-12-12 11:00:00	397	Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
2018-12-12 11:00:00	202	The Mule (2018)
2018-12-12 11:00:00	186	Dragon Ball Super Broly
2018-12-12 11:00:00	183	Dr. Seuss The Grinch (2018)
2018-12-12 11:00:00	172	Once Upon a Deadpool

Hiding the reviews is working. :sparta:

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1