grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

https://deadline.com/2018/12/ralph-breaks-the-internet-the-favourite-emma-stone-rachel-weisz-weekend-box-office-1202516270/

Sony’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Versewhich is already an awards contender out of the gate with a Golden Globe animated film nomination and NY Film Critics Circle win for Best Animated Film, held paid sneaks last night at 7PM and again today at 2PM. Projection metrics show around a $35M No. 1 opening next weekend.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

So I have a Deep Wang-esque report that came my way. At one national theater chain (one of the major ones), MARY POPPINS presales are almost 70% of LAST JEDI presales (presumably at the same point in time before release).

Would that mean by far the biggest pre-sales for a non Star Wars movie ?

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I have no idea. Maybe?

Certainly:

On 11/30/2018 at 5:11 PM, Deep Wang said:

I actually have some old screenshots on my phone still.

on 11/28 last year:

Ferd - 8k

GS - 9k

J - 807.00

PP3 - 28k

TLJ - 16m(LOL)

MPR won't be so frontloaded, going for $700M+ domestic.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Would not surprise if it is pre-sales heavy, people can plan those holidays, pre-sales many days not just the thursday/friday/sat of the OW, etc..

Yeah, kind of what I am thinking. Without Tuesday previews, I can see the Wednesday being pretty heavy and then the rest spread out with Christmas day taking a good chunk. Its a 7-day spread.

25 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

So I have a Deep Wang-esque report that came my way. At one national theater chain (one of the major ones), MARY POPPINS presales are almost 70% of LAST JEDI presales (presumably at the same point in time before release).

Guess it's time for me to promote my club :ph34r:

• Like 1

Aren’t Star Wars movies also front loaded? So even if Mary Poppins ends up being frontloaded, the front loadedness of Star Wars movies negates that. Plus I highly highly doubt that Mary Poppins will be as front loaded as Star Wars films......

Plus if you look at Fandango sales, Mary Poppins has been selling really really well too 

12 hours ago, Telemachos said:

That reporter must have mixed something up. This is impossible. 

Looking at the Arclights, in this case the best attended, Sherman Oakes, MP is selling well, but this sold 60 tickets for the main show on wednesday and barely anything going into the weekend.

TLJ had sold out multiple shows and hundreds of tickets at that point. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

That reporter must have mixed something up. This is impossible. 

Looking at the Arclights, in this case the best attended, Sherman Oakes, MP is selling well, but this sold 60 tickets for the main show on wednesday and barely anything going into the weekend.

TLJ had sold out multiple shows and hundreds of tickets at that point. 

Maybe it’s just a lot more spread out over the holiday period?