grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

Deadpool was also a "smaller scale, lighter movie", and ditto Ant-Man 2. They both made over $210m domestic (Deadpool making well above that), and the general consensus seems to be that Shazam!'s better than both of them. All WB had to do was do a proper ad campaign, instead of one trailer in July and then nothing until the month before release, and even then still barely marketing it.

Deadpool's R-rating and unique character made it go viral in a way that you can't ever guarantee for a movie. Ant-man 2 was a sequel to a fairly-well liked movie and was part of a much more popular universe than Shazam (and still was wayyy below average for its universe). Ant-Man 1 is more comparable, but Shazam probably won't even do that much worse than that film (which again had the MCU brand advantage). Also, Shazam had a special look in the NFL conference championships in January, so WB didn't "do nothing until the month before release".

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Hellboy 3 er Hellboy Redux though is hot on it's heals.

I can't believe they're once again giving Hellboy a death slot

Honestly Game of Thrones starting up in 2 weeks is probably have a bigger impact than Hellboy lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TMP said:

Deadpool was also a "smaller scale, lighter movie", and ditto Ant-Man 2. They both made over $210m domestic (Deadpool making well above that), and the general consensus seems to be that Shazam!'s better than both of them. All WB had to do was do a proper ad campaign, instead of one trailer in July and then nothing until the month before release, and even then still barely marketing it.

looking at the interest over time for "Shazam!" on google trends, it really hasn't picked up interest since the SDCC teaser in July until a month and half of its release. 

Capture.PNG

WB has been really low-key with their Shazam marketing. but I think it will still hit its initial tracking. (which was around 45M+ or so... hopefully:bagoverhead:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

looking at the interest over time for "Shazam!" on google trends, it really hasn't picked up interest since the SDCC teaser in July until a month and half of its release. 

Capture.PNG

WB has been really low-key with their Shazam marketing. but I think it will still hit its initial tracking. (which was around 45M+ or so... hopefully:bagoverhead:

WB can get a killer clown movie to $320m domestic/$700m worldwide. Why couldn't they have worked their marketing magic on this? 

Just now, TMP said:

WB can get a killer clown movie to $320m domestic/$700m worldwide. Why couldn't they have worked their marketing magic on this? 

I think It appeal was more than killer clown. 80s nostalgia and Child actors. Beside Stephen King is a big name in Horror. 

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Maybe because interest just isn't there? I've given WB shit for their marketing in the past but not here. There's only so much you can do to sell people a small scale action comedy

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Nova said:

No. And neither are the preview record, OD record, Saturday record or Sunday record gonna be alright once End Game is through with them :rock:

So are you telling me the kid is dead and this is a snuff gif 😮

Moderation

This thread is primarily for discussing the tracking and buzz for upcoming movies.  There is a Fanboy Wars Thread to discuss and compare the various franchises. 

Be warned.

Regards

BOT Staff

• Like 2

Shazam Would have benefited from an August or November release. They were right to be confident in the movie with how positive reception is but the truth is that there just isn’t room to breathe this time of year, both at the box office and in the social landscape.

Marvel and Game of Thrones are simply just taking up all the conversations. Hell I’ve walked by random people in grocery stores talking about one of the two. August it could have done similar to. Guardians or Suicide Squad or in November could have been the big live action release and I think it would’ve done well as a counter to Frozen. 

• Like 2

All caught up now on my sheets.  At least when it comes to error corrections and what not. 👍  Now just have to keep a half-an-eye on Fandango for any new showings and I can treat this as a 'normal' event film.

Well, normal-ish.

===

Fun fact, btw.  The screen count as of yesterday was 138 showings across 16 theaters in the region.  Add in the 5 missing showings from SMG, and that brings it up to 143 showings across 17 theaters in the region.

Right now, as the dust* settles, it's at 186 showings across 18 theaters, less than 15 hours later.  Part of it is a theater suddenly jumping into the mix somewhat unexpectedly (raising the screen count by 5 and then by another 4 after a few hours for a total of 9).  But even if that theater was taken out of the equation and we only focused on theater expansion from those theaters I knew would be showing it in the Great Sacramento region yesterday, I get something like 34 showings added today, over the course of the day.  38 if you count the 4 added to the theater that jumped into the mix unexpectedly.

* No pun intended, honest. :)

Just insanity as some theaters tried in vain to keep up with demand.

And since I know folks will ask, Infinity War finished at 182 screens across 16 theaters in the region (not counting the local drive-in here or in the previous paragraphs).  And as I have noted too many times, Endgame might show up in that new theater that is scheduled to open a week before Endgame bows. So believe it or not, there's still plenty of room for screen growth in Sacratomato.  Could easily top 250 showings when all is said and done.

PS:::  All I really did the last 90 minutes or so was an error check on total number of seats available.  If folks want an update on seats sold, y'all just have to wait for the official report. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 1