grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

MLB stadiums have 15-40K people together at the same time...

Reduced capacity, presold seat small and midsize theaters (12s and under) can have 100-300 people total together at the same time, and they are split in separate places...

So, it's not quite the same thing...

Now, 30 screen megaplexes in cities - yeah, they might not open or might not open with more than a few screens in use...

But the rural 3 screeners with 60 seats per screen (selling only 30 of them) probably have a very good shot this summer...but what they will show will be the question...

It is the same thing. Baseball stadiums have the ability to spread people out much more than movie theaters do. Plus they aren't in an enclosed room like theaters are. So if they are saying that fans won't be allowed to go to an outdoor baseball stadium this summer it is going to be a long time before they say it is ok for people to go back into an enclosed movie theater. 

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

MLB stadiums have 15-40K people together at the same time...

Reduced capacity, presold seat small and midsize theaters (12s and under) can have 100-300 people total together at the same time, and they are split in separate places...

So, it's not quite the same thing...

Now, 30 screen megaplexes in cities - yeah, they might not open or might not open with more than a few screens in use...

But the rural 3 screeners with 60 seats per screen (selling only 30 of them) probably have a very good shot this summer...but what they will show will be the question...

Yeah, if anything theaters will be doing what restaurants will be doing by being open for business but still using social distancing practices. The average movie theater auditorium these days only holds about 200 people at most on average anyway (which isn't the case with places like stadiums).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, if anything theaters will be doing what restaurants will be doing by being open for business but still using social distancing practices. The average movie theater auditorium these days only holds about 200 people at most on average anyway (which isn't the case with places like stadiums).

Restaurants are only allowing take out. The places that are still allowing people to go in but are requiring social distancing practices are essential businesses.

1 minute ago, RockyMountain said:

Restaurants are only allowing take out. The places that are still allowing people to go in but are requiring social distancing practices are essential businesses.

A ton of restaurants (especially mall locations and ones where take out/drive-thru wasn't an option) have closed as well.

I would point out that Gov. Newsom's comment was about "hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands" of people in an area.  Most movie theaters now seat from 50 to 300 people, with some more or less of course.

I could see something like what was happening in Australia when @DeeCee showed us seat maps that enforced distancing (no seats could be sold next to each other).

IMO, and I'm no expert but this is what mainly comes to mind. The problem isn't people in an enclosed space.  It's the cleaning of seats and floors between showings.  Gonna have to clean auditoriums to a much higher standard than might normally happen.  So not only would there be fewer seats per showing (due to seats being blacked out to enforce social distance) but also fewer showings to give staff a longer time to throughly clean each auditorium.

I think it could happen.  But there are logistical hurdles which need to be looked at.  Which aren't necessarily easy to clear.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would point out that Gov. Newsom's comment was about "hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands" of people in an area.  Most movie theaters now seat from 50 to 300 people, with some more or less of course.

I could see something like what was happening in Australia when @DeeCee showed us seat maps that enforced distancing (no seats could be sold next to each other).

IMO, and I'm no expert but this is what mainly comes to mind. The problem isn't people in an enclosed space.  It's the cleaning of seats and floors between showings.  Gonna have to clean auditoriums to a much higher standard than might normally happen.  So not only would there be fewer seats per showing (due to seats being blacked out to enforce social distance) but also fewer showings to give staff a longer time to throughly clean each auditorium.

I think it could happen.  But there are logistical hurdles which need to be looked at.  Which aren't necessarily easy to clear.

It'll probably be on a movie to movie basis. This definitely seems like something that would apply to, say, Mulan (which, if it still opens in late July and social distancing measures are still enforced, will probably get most of the screens at a 24 plex anyway to reach maximum audience potential) but not so much for a non-tentpole.

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

I'd expect movies to have a 90-120 minute turnover window vs the 30-45 minutes now.

Either that, or I'd expect 2 showings - afternoon (3pm) and evening (7pm)...and cleanings after both...you could staff one 8 hour shift (with break) that way, keeping costs down...

29 minutes ago, Mau said:

do you guys think that there will not be more billion dollar movies until (maybe) avatar 2 or something in 2022?

I first thought that the $1.5bil movie is dead forever, now im thinking $1bil might be gone too.

I am certain China will give Chinese movies fake BO numbers.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AJG said:

I first thought that the $1.5bil movie is dead forever, now im thinking $1bil might be gone too.

I can see general audiences avoiding theaters until a vaccine is applied to a huge part of the population and by then people would prefer streaming services

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Right... cause this pandemic is gonna last until the end of time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Right... cause this pandemic is gonna last until the end of time

It doesn’t need to for this to happen, theatres are going to be weaker coming out of this giving studios a chance to shorten the window (I’d guess down to a month) and perfect timing for them with most of the big ones having launched or in the process of launching streaming services.

That being said I think the trend of only the biggest and smallest films going to cinema is going to continue so I personally expect there will still be some billion dollar films, they will just be less frequent.

42 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Don't say never, the US dollar might crash at one point... :jeb!:

Or there is always inflation.

I don't know, but a global recession means currency of other countries also faring poor. Right?

Indian ₹ is at its lowest $1=₹77, last year it was ₹68.

CN¥ is $1=7.1, last year was ¥6.7.

GBP is $1=0.8, last year was 0.75.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-proposed-changes-and-strategies-for-the-2020-release-calendar/

If you’ve been keeping up with previous updates, you’re aware of numerous rescheduling moves by studios in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. This week, I’m diving into a few of the remaining question marks and potential moves we could still see in the coming weeks in order to make the 2020 (and beyond) calendar more strategically sound for both studios and exhibitors.

The good news is that the industry has shifted the bulk of its most important titles as efforts and plans are underway for a projected mid-summer theatrical reopening, with Christopher Nolan’s Tenet currently planned as the first new wide release on July 17. Everything depends on the timeline of the virus and the world’s ability to continue social distancing while simultaneously reviving and adapting aspects of normal daily life, including going to the movies.

With that caveat, bear in mind that the speculative changes discussed below are based on the status quo as of today. They do not represent any official announcements by studios (unless otherwise noted), and could change on a dime depending on any number of major news developments whether they’re related to productions, the movie industry, or the world at-large.

Also note that the suggestions below are generally limited to what are perceived as major releases with moderate-to-high box office potential (tentpoles, with a few exceptions). I’m also excluding films that, while still currently on the release schedule, may not finish production in time for their scheduled releases.

A Proposed 2020 Release Calendar for Key Releases

Release Date Title Distributor
7/17/2020 Tenet Warner Bros.
7/24/2020 Mulan Disney
7/31/2020 Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar Lionsgate
8/7/2020 The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run Paramount
8/14/2020 The One and Only Ivan Disney
8/14/2020 Wonder Woman 1984 Warner Bros.
8/21/2020 Antebellum Lionsgate
8/21/2020 Bill & Ted Face the Music United Artists Releasing
8/28/2020 none  
9/4/2020 A Quiet Place Part II Paramount
9/4/2020 The Beatles: Get Back Disney
9/18/2020 The King’s Man 20th Century Studios
9/25/2020 Candyman (2020) Universal
10/2/2020 Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse Paramount
10/9/2020 Death on the Nile (2020) 20th Century Studios
10/9/2020 The Witches (2020) Warner Bros.
10/16/2020 Halloween Kills Universal
10/23/2020 Connected Sony / Columbia
10/30/2020 Greyhound Sony / Columbia
10/30/2020 Spiral: From the Book of Saw Lionsgate
11/6/2020 Black Widow Disney / Marvel Studios
11/13/2020 The Trial of the Chicago 7 Paramount
11/20/2020 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Warner Bros. / New Line
11/20/2020 Soul Disney / Pixar
11/25/2020 No Time to Die MGM
12/4/2020 none  
12/11/2020 Free Guy 20th Century Studios
12/11/2020 Clifford the Big Red Dog Paramount
12/18/2020 Top Gun: Maverick Paramount
12/23/2020 American Underdog: The Kurt Warner Story Lionsgate
12/23/2020 The Croods 2 Universal
12/23/2020 West Side Story (2020) 20th Century Studios
12/25/2020 News of the World Universal

Didn't know where to put it, so how about here?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

They never released the trailer online but I saw the first teaser for Barb & Star before a few movies and it looked like it was going for a similar fun summer vibe like In the Heights was so it wouldn't be a surprise if that ends up delayed a whole year as well.

Edit: less than 20 minutes later Lionsgate did just that heh. Most of their 2020 slate has gone to 2021 now.

Edited by filmlover