grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If Shang Chi doesn't do numbers this weekend, none of those big movies are releasing this year. This is life or death stakes

Bond is locked. Venom, Ghostbusters and No Way Home will all get pushed tho.

• Like 2

Just now, CJohn said:

Bond is locked. Venom, Ghostbusters and No Way Home will all get pushed tho.

Agree on Bond and think Halloween and the WB day and dates stick around too if theaters remain open. but the rest probably move if Shang Chi doesn't hit 60m 3 day as well as the smaller releases around them that need anchors and robust theater business. I rarely care about superhero MCU movies at all, in fact I'm more anti-superhero than not, but we all have to be MCU stans this weekend.

• Like 3

Shang-Chi counted today at 11am EST for today:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 540 (8 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
655 (10 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 140 (5 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9):
49 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
184 (8 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 907+ (15 showtimes, 1 reported Sell Out, maybe true)
LA (AMC Universal):
1.142 (24 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 3.617.
Up 14.5% since yesterday. Before you start to worry, look at the Friday increase ;).
Comps: TSS had on Thursday 1.929 sold tickets = 7.7M.
Birds of Prey's final Thursday number was 2.085. So my conservative guess has happened: 7M (6.95M).
And AQP II had finally 1.582 sold tickets = 11.0M.

Shang-Chi counted today at 11am EST for tomorrow:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 724 (13 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
586 (21 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 158 (15 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9):
63 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
151 (13 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 1.122 (26 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal):
936 (23 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 3.740.
Up 40% since Tuesday.
Comps: TSS had on Thursday for Friday 1.560 sold tickets = 19.2M.
Birds of Prey's final Friday number was 1.664 = 20.25M.
And F9 had on Thursday for Friday 3.585 sold tickets = 23.8M.

The Thursday number is a bit under my expectations but therefor the Friday number is great. I was really surprised. Maybe the weather situation indeed is a factor or it's just not that frontloaded because of the longer weekend.
I guess it won't have the same walk-ups as F9 but I don't see it under 60M 3 days (unless the situation worsens dramatically).
PS: I ran out of likes, will continue later.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Mid Day Update

Falmouth Flagship

6:45PM: 83/101

6:55PM: 71/117

Total: 154/218 = 70.64% Sold Out.

My final count for Black Widow was 252/399.  We're running at about 61.11% of that for Shang Chi, or 8.06M for previews.

I repeat - and maybe someone at the theater is magically reading this exactly right now and can do something about it: Where? 👏 Are? 👏 My? 👏 Screens? 👏  All of the "good seats" are gone, it's only singles and the front row left.  And it's not like the area can go else where!  You are the only damn theater open within 30 minutes.  They should've added two more by now. The 6:55 of TSS has no one it in. Cancel it now before you get stuck with a theater that only have 1 ticket sold instead of 50 like the Jungle Cruise and Widow screens will be tonight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

Mid Day Update

Falmouth Flagship

6:45PM: 83/101

6:55PM: 71/117

Total: 154/218 = 70.64% Sold Out.

My final count for Black Widow was 252/399.  We're running at about 61.11% of that for Shang Chi, or 8.06M for previews.

I repeat - and maybe someone at the theater is reading this right now and can do something about it: Where? 👏 Are? 👏 My? 👏 Screens? 👏  All of the "good seats" are gone, it's only singles and the front row left.  And it's not like the area can go else where!  You are the only damn theater open within 30 minutes.  They should've added two more by now. The 6:55 of TSS has no one it in. Cancel it now before you get stuck with a theater that only have 1 ticket sold instead of 50 like the Jungle Cruise and Widow screens will be tonight.

What about one in newington. I remember seeing Revenge of the Sith midnight at that plex and it was crazy with all screens selling out and it was packed to brim, That was before the plex was remodeled in late 2000's. 

Plus why is weekend thread locked. Clay's post is epic. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

What about one in newington. I remember seeing Revenge of the Sith midnight at that plex and it was crazy with all screens selling out and it was packed to brim, That was before the plex was remodeled in late 2000's. 

Plus why is weekend thread locked. Clay's post is epic. 

I am actually OFF to the theater in Newington, so I won't have data on that until I can sort through it before I get back.  But the TL;DR is it's going to be a full theater tonight!

• Like 2

On 8/31/2021 at 10:33 PM, cax16 said:

SC is selling really well on Thursday at my local theatre, it’s already sold 330 tickets, the only real recent comp

I have is TSS and that finished with just over 100 seats sold. 

On 8/31/2021 at 11:26 PM, cax16 said:

I live on the border of a city called Markham in Ontario that has a pretty large Asian population. My theatre is selling well but the theatre in the heart of Markham that is an Imax/VIP theatre is selling really big, already 545 tickets sold and that place is mostly premium prices. It’s especially good when you factor in that we have limited seating in each theatre. But I looked at the surrounding cities and all are selling well as well so I think it’s just doing well in most theatres I’ve looked at. 

Won’t have time to look later and this was about the time I checked TSS,

My local theatre - 491 seats sold for SC, TSS was 100

Markham theatre - 801 seats sold(it was 545 on Tuesday). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

Shang-Chi and the Legends of the Ten Rings 

Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-1 day and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

16.84%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Showings Added Today

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-1 Comp

%

Sold T-1

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

BW

0/258

25357/32301

21.50%

8.38m

TSS

0/107

15221/16564

8.11%

13.16m

COMP NOTE: The BW Comp has been adjusted to reflect the return of Ontario theaters to the DOM market (what would be normally be the comp/0.955). The TSS Comp has not been adjusted.

Regal: 974/7536 [12.92% sold] [+249 tickets]

===

Yeah, okay.  That was a little better of a day. 👍 Shang-Chi did 81% of Black Widow's T-1.  All those showtimes of the last couple of days started to fill up.

Will this cross 9m?  Tune in tomorrow/much later today.

NB:  Apologies for being late, but I got sucked into a movie (Knives Out really is a great film, you know, even on the xth re-watch) so I started late.  But then Fandango started to give me a ton of shit.  Don't know if it was some sort of flood control or broken cookies or what.  But I got so many errors I had to go to various corporate sites, which slowed me down a ton.  Then I had some things to do for about 45 minutes before I could sit down and write this all down.

Good things come to those who wait, I suppose. 👍

Shang-Chi and the Legends of the Ten Rings 

Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report:

PREMIERE NIGHT (MID-DAY UPDATE) [12:00pm - 12:55pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

19.03%

Total Showings Added Since Last Night

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-0 (Mid-Day) Comp

%

Sold T-0 [Mid-Day]

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

BW

0/258

24466/32301

24.26%

8.54m

TSS

0/111

15173/16843

9.92%

12.18m

COMP NOTE: The BW Comp has been adjusted to reflect the return of Ontario theaters to the DOM market (what would be normally be the comp/0.955). The TSS Comp has not been adjusted.

T-0 (Mid-Day) Adjusted Comp

%

Sold T-0 [Mid-Day]

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

F9

0/170

17331/20721

16.36%

9.49m

SC (adj)

---

1/168

4326/21874

17.60%

---

COMP NOTE: The F9 Comp has been adjusted to reflect the return of Ontario theaters to the DOM market (what would be normally be the comp/0.955). The TSS Comp has not been adjusted.

ADJUSTMENT NOTE:  SC (adj) is the amount of seats sold that does not include the theaters which had unreliable data polluting their seat maps at that point in F9's track.

Regal: 1160/7883 [14.72% sold] [+186 tickets]

===

And back to 70% of BW, more or less.  At T-0 Mid-Day (samples taken at the same time), Shang-Chi did 71% of the same business that Black Widow did at the same time.  I strongly suspect it'll do in the same range the rest of the day.  Not too much more at any rate.

As expected, The Suicide Squad comps is finally starting to drop through the floor.  It did underperform here (or at least the Sacto region might have normalized with the rest of the country), so expect that comp to come in high even at final bell.

Finally, put in a F9 comp for shits and giggles.  It too should drop considering the comparative sales patterns at play so, keep that in mind.

If SC does 70% of BW the rest of today (before stop of tracking), that'd be about 950 tickets sold which would bring the comp to 8.7m, which all things considered would be a fantastic result IMO.

To hit 9m, need about 1100 tickets sold between now and end of tracking, or about 80% of BW's sales over the same time period.  It's done that on occasion, but I wouldn't call it either a sure thing or a none-chance.  Just have to see what actually happens between now and then.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4