grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

• Founder / Operator
5 hours ago, DAJK said:

UGH I've spent 7 years navigating BOM I know it like the back of my own hand. But seriously

Where's the inflation adjustor? I know it's not 100% accurate but it's a fun toy to do comparisons with. What about actor/director grosses etc.? These are all things I technically don't need in my life, but that I've taken for granted and I WANT THEM BACK.

This is worse than that time BOM shut down in 2014 for a few days and everyone thought it was gone for good. 

Imagine that same familiarity expanded over nearly 20 years. :lol:

:(

• Sad 11

52 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

This is the funniest part:

In regards to daily sales, as of Wednesday, Skywalker is the #1 daily ticket-seller on Fandango, representing more than half of today’s ticket sales, even though the highly-anticipated blockbuster doesn’t open for another two months.

I mean like...looking at the landscape...no shit?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

I just want to know if the 24 hour number was O/U TLJ.   

Oh, and some 24 hour trailer metrics would be neat too, for all they're worth.

The trailer views are way down, and social media interactions.  I'm not really sure why tbh.  The teaser had like 187K RT, where as the final trailer only has 95K.  TLJ had 128K RT.   

So far as we know:

a) pre-sale is good

b) new record for this franchise in opening hours

question:

c) what the hell is opening hours?

According to what Deadline wrote:

in the opening hours of Disney’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker going on sale, the pic sold more tickets than any other Star Wars movie on Fandango, surpassing Star Wars: The Force Awakens. In regards to daily sales, as of Wednesday, Skywalker is the #1 daily ticket-seller on Fandango, representing more than half of today’s ticket sales, even though the highly-anticipated blockbuster doesn’t open for another two months.

I guess the opening hours probably mean the period from 5pm PT to midnight instead of its first 24 hours. It topped any other movies on MON-TUE-WED. But Fandango didn't mention other historic data.

Then I checked the tickets sale time of The Force Awakens. It started with the final trailer, which was released during NFL started at 8:15pm PT. If I'm not wrong, the tickets sale was available at 10pm PT for TFA. So it's not hard to understand why TROS is stronger in the first few hours. In terms of 24 hours, TFA(maybe even TLJ, RO and IW?) is better. 

Edited by Gavin Feng

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

So far as we know:

a) pre-sale is good

question:

I guess the opening hours probably mean the period from 5pm PT to midnight instead of its first 24 hours. It topped any other movies on MON-TUE-WED. But Fandango didn't mention other historic data.

Then I checked the tickets sale time of The Force Awakens. It started with the final trailer, which was released during NFL started at 8:15pm PT. If I'm not wrong, the tickets sale was available at 10pm PT for TFA. So it's not hard to understand why TROS is stronger in the first few hours. In terms of 24 hours, TFA(maybe even TLJ, RO and IW?) is better. 

Tickets were released before the trailer for each film. 

9 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

So far as we know:

a) pre-sale is good

question:

people were caught off guard when TFA tickets went on sale hours earlier then reported, when TLJ came out people were expecting it. TRoS beating in opening hours is just due to growth of presales in premium formats likely.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

Black and Blue Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 24 179 3,808 4.70%

Total Shows Added Today: 2

Total Seats Added Today: 192

Total Seats Sold Today: 89

Comp

0.378x of Hustlers 1 day before release (946K)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

So far as we know:

a) pre-sale is good

question:

Definitely not IW, and since RO was around the same level not RO as well. We have data from @Porthos and estimations from chains to show that TROS was ahead of IW day 1. And the timing should be similar for all 3, more likely the reason that it was ahead of TFA was because TFA crashed Fandango.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

Countdown Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting

TOTALS 0 23 72 3,384 2.13%

Total Shows Added Today: 2

Total Seats Added Today: 192

Total Seats Sold Today: 13

Comp

0.464x of Crawl 1 day before release (464K)

0.256x of Scary Stories 1 day before release (597K)

0.900x of 47 Meters 1 day before release (464K)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Terminator: Dark Fate Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-8 and Counting

TOTALS 0 36 165 8,792 1.88%

Total Seats Sold Today: 14

Comp

0.167x of It: Chapter Two 8 days before release (1.75M)

0.182x of Joker 8 days before release (2.42M)

Adjusted Comp

0.434x of Hobbs & Shaw 7 days before release (2.52M)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

What's with all the negativity around SW9 PS. its doing great and still selling lots of tickets. Also it has more than 8 weeks to its release. There was never an expectation for it to hit Endgame numbers(or even SW7). Just from 3rd of the market it has sold $10m+ PS already. That is just insane. I see good momentum beyond preview PS. I will update in next hour or 2 with the data.

I would recommend wait and watch rather than prescribing doom. I think PS for all the other movies I have tracked so far and rest of the year combined wont come close to SW9 PS !!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

What's with all the negativity around SW9 PS. its doing great and still selling lots of tickets. Also it has more than 8 weeks to its release. There was never an expectation for it to hit Endgame numbers(or even SW7). Just from 3rd of the market it has sold $10m+ PS already. That is just insane. I see good momentum beyond preview PS. I will update in next hour or 2 with the data.

I would recommend wait and watch rather than prescribing doom. I think PS for all the other movies I have tracked so far and rest of the year combined wont come close to SW9 PS !!!!!

that's insane for other movies but normal for SW Saga films, we simply need more data

^^^^

We never had apples for apples comparison data from SW7/8. May be @Porthos can provide comparitive data with SW8(not sure he was tracking SW7). But whatever I have seen its definiltely nothing is a concern at this point.

I am thinking at this rate I will take a break for a while if this thread also becomes a cesspool. I dont think I am big fan either with all this DC vs Marvel or any other fight or persistent whining about words in some article. Its a real waste of time.

• Like 4