grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Inland Empire Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-57 Days

Sellouts

Showings

Seats Sold

Total Seats

Seats Left

Perct Sold

TOTALS

20.93%

Total Sellouts Added Today: 1

Total Seats Sold Today: 454

===

We're definitely entering the slow period now as expected. Thinking today comes in probably around 200 seats or slightly less.

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

Deadline also mentions Good Liar at 6M, which sounds about right. Even I keep forgetting that this movie's coming out.

Unfortunate b/c it looks so good.  I wonder how many theaters it's getting.  Let me check - oh wait - fuck Amazon.

Edited by TalismanRing

Yeah, I keep forgetting The Good Liar even exists as well. WB about to have two low-grossing adult drama nonstarters on their hands between Motherless Brooklyn and this (to go along with their earlier duds - The Sun Is Also a Star, The Kitchen, The Goldfinch - from this year).

Both new movies counted today at ca. 11am EST (and both films look a bit worse than they are actually doing because they have no showtimes in my theaters in NY respectively San Francisco).
Black and Blue:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 122 / 132 (total tickets sold for Thursday) / 132 (total tickets sold for Friday, 6 showtimes)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 19 / 33 (total tickets sold for Friday, 4 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 9 / 12 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): - / 15 (4 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 14 / 11 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 6 / 2 (5 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 11 / 0 (4 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): - / -
LA (AMC Bay Street): 27 / 20 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 36 / 37 (4 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 8/9 theaters till Thursday for Thursday: 244 and for Friday: 263. But without the help of the normally very crowded theater in San Francisco.
Comp: Angel has Fallen had at that time on Thursday 654/580, The Kitchen 0/519.
So maybe ca. 8M?

Countdown:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): - / - 
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 30 (total tickets sold for Thursday / 24 (total tickets sold for Friday, 5 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 8 / 16 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 33 / 3 (4 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 6 / 12 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 2 / 6 (5 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 14 / 15 (5 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 72 / 60 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): 13 / 9 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 70 / 45 (5 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 9 theaters till Thursday for Thursday: 248 and for Friday: 190.

Comps: Scary Stories had at that time on Thursday 1.096/754, Crawl 417/334, Ready Or Not had 382 for Friday and 47 Meters Down 2 had 106/99. Needs really good walk ups for an OW around 10M.

Counted at 12pm EST.
Terminator: Dark Fate:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 134 (total tickets sold for Thursday) / 211 (total tickets sold for Friday, 6 showtimes)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 59 / 59 (9 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 12 / 17 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 71 / 79 (11 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 14 / 11 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 8 / 24 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 12 / 11 (4 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 236 / 322 (8 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): no day without at least one error...
LA (AMC Universal): 100 / 153 (8 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 9 theaters till today for Thursday: 646 and for Friday: 887.

Hobbs & Shaw had in the same 9 theaters (all but AMC Bay Street) 1.537 and 1.574 sold tickets BUT that was on Monday 4 days before its release. So if T6 manages it in 4 days to ca. double the numbers above then I don't see such a dark fate.
Of course H&S had ok jumps in its release week and T6 would have to follow that route.
Another film with a similar target audience and good walk ups, Angel has Fallen, had on Monday 4 days before it was released 278/176. So in that comp T6 is already leading comfortable. If T6 would have nice walk ups - and with the overall decent reviews I think that's possible - it could still become a successful OW for it.
A lot of question marks. But overall I wouldn't write it off.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am getting data for only 2829 shows. But tickets sold have increased.

137090/297879, $1794445

Still I will keep digging. There may be few more types of seats I am missing. On show count I got 3358 but not all of them are reserved shows.

2 hours ago, Menor said:

I will recheck mine as well. Maybe I made an error in the show count somewhere.

Potentially stupid question, but are you both accounting for the Fan Events and Marathons?

Also, continuing the stupid question theme, is it possible one script isn't accounting for post-midnight screenings and is considering those to be Fri instead of Thur?  I wouldn't think so, but it's one of the few things I can think of that might be 

===

If neither of those, maybe PM each other a dump of showtimes (if possible) and compare and contrast differences to hunt down the discrepancy?

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I keep forgetting The Good Liar even exists as well. WB about to have two low-grossing adult drama nonstarters on their hands between Motherless Brooklyn and this (to go along with their earlier duds - The Sun Is Also a Star, The Kitchen, The Goldfinch - from this year).

If they kept the budget low (sub $20m) with attendant low marketing The Good Liar if good should have nice legs considering it demographic. Both McKellan and Mirren have had successes in the specialty markets

I'd give full charts but you know - here's 2

Mr Holmes - 

Domestic:     $2,434,908 / $17,737,646  (started in 361 theaters - never made it above 900)

Woman in Gold - started limited - went wide - domestic - $33,307,793 ($11m budget)

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If they kept the budget low (sub $20m) with attendant low marketing The Good Liar if good should have nice legs considering it demographic. Both McKellan and Mirren have had successes in the specialty markets

I'd give full charts but you know - here's 2

Mr Holmes - 

Domestic:     $2,434,908 / $17,737,646  (started in 361 theaters - never made it above 900)

Woman in Gold - started limited - went wide - domestic - $33,307,793 ($11m budget)

True but competition from bigger titles like Ford v Ferrari, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, and even Knives Out to an extent are gonna make it difficult to find an audience.

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Potentially stupid question, but are you both accounting for the Fan Events and Marathons?

Also, continuing the stupid question theme, is it possible one script isn't accounting for post-midnight screenings and is considering those to be Fri instead of Thur?  I wouldn't think so, but it's one of the few things I can think of that might be 

===

If neither of those, maybe PM each other a dump of showtimes (if possible) and compare and contrast differences to hunt down the discrepancy?

I can do that. Fan screenings are accounted as Cinemark you pull in show by date rather than by movie name. So you pull in all the movies. But at this point only shows for SW including fan events are listed. I have not split them at this point.

I think I am reasonably comfortable about  bugs being fixed. I manually tested for few shows. But Cannot guarantee. Its almost accurate. Also at times when you run it for 1000's of show there is a potential of few erroring out but should not make huge difference over long run.

Numbers for Cinemark at this point

Previews - 137549/428941 $1800080 (10/24 1130AM)
OD - 85086/647877 $1002794 (10/24 1148AM)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I can do that. Fan screenings are accounted as Cinemark you pull in show by date rather than by movie name. So you pull in all the movies. But at this point only shows for SW including fan events are listed. I have not split them at this point.

I think I am reasonably comfortable about  bugs being fixed. I manually tested for few shows. But Cannot guarantee. Its almost accurate. Also at times when you run it for 1000's of show there is a potential of few erroring out but should not make huge difference over long run.

Numbers for Cinemark at this point

Previews - 137549/428941 $1800080 (10/24 1130AM)
OD - 85086/647877 $1002794 (10/24 1148AM)

I don't have Fan Events as the movie ID is different (will fix that) but that shouldn't be the source of the issue as your show count is  lower than mine. Maybe we can take this to PM as Porthos suggested. 

• Like 1