grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I’m not expecting much for Shazam but i’m not too worried of its performance in the US for two reasons that others have pointed out...

1.It has already earned 3.3M from these early screenings and those would probably go to previews and OD figures in any other case since I can only imagine that fans are mostly attending these screenings.

2.It has been marketed as a family film and these tended to be light on presales and thrive on walk ups.

It’s the OS numbers that have me worried.WoM does not seem as good as is it is in the US.

Way too early to judge WOM overseas, aside from South Korea. And there's just no reason why the film wouldn't have good WOM anywhere, it's clearly a quality film and a crowdpleaser. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Also, isn't it possible that the film being more of a family type film than a typical superhero film might not pop on OD in most markets and make most of its business on the weekend?  

It is a superhero movie first. People kept repeating "it's a family movie, don't worry" about Ant-Man and it did badly too (for CBMs).

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-u-s-opening-weekend-projections-can-sequel-get-close-to-300m-1202588329/

Yes, Endgame can get to this box office threshold, even with a running time of 3 hours and 2 minutes. (Avengers: Infinity War had a running time of 2 hours and 29 minutes, and Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens clocked in at 2 hours and 16 minutes.) Math provided to Deadline by B.O. analysts supports this projection range even if Endgame has only four or five showtimes a day, at a 70% capacity at 12,000 U.S. auditoriums.

TW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross Change Theaters Change Avg. Est.
Screens
Change Avg. Est.
Shows
Change Avg. Total Gross Week #
1 Iron Man 3 BV $174,144,585 - 4,253 - $40,946 13,200 - $13,193 163,400 - $1,066 $174,144,585 1

With the same number of screens per theater IW would have had 13,800 screens, and 172k showtimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is a superhero movie first. People kept repeating "it's a family movie, don't worry" about Ant-Man and it did badly too (for CBMs).

But this is a legitimate thing for this though with the foster family element (although they didn't sell it too much). Nothing strikes me as family movieish with Ant-Man?!

Guys this is the thread to report numbers, wether good or bad. It doesn’t make someone a troll reporting what a theatre has sold. Going around the boards posting numbers and concern trolling does make you a troll though, big difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

I just hope Shazam! does enough to justify a sequel at this point. Definitely the best film DC's done since 2008.

It’s 100% getting a sequel. You don’t give up on one of your most well reviewed CBM lol I mean I can’t imagine a scenario where it doesn’t make enough to get a sequel. It’s probably looking at around a $50M OW in the states and $140M total, $90M in China and probably another $200-$250M+ in other territories. $400M+ WW for an $80M budget film is more than enough to get a sequel. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

I just hope Shazam! does enough to justify a sequel at this point. Definitely the best film DC's done since 2008.

It will get a sequel and they will probably put Black Adam in it to help it OS. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

Guys this is the thread to report numbers, wether good or bad. It doesn’t make someone a troll reporting what a theatre has sold. Going around the boards posting numbers and concern trolling does make you a troll though, big difference. 

Thank you! When I have the time I like to post my theater’s numbers. It’s not often but I do like to do it. Or at least report on how my theater is doing. I did it for Captain Marvel. I did it for Dumbo and I am doing it for Shazam. 

I mean i maybe coming across as negative because I’ve talked about the potential that Shazam has but I always make it clear that Shazam is a success regardless of its box office because it’s actually good! Anything it makes from the box office is the cherry on top for it at this point. And yes my personal expectations for the movie (I had it around $70M+ OW) is why I’m kinda bummed about how it’s doing at my theater and what it’s tracking at BUT again things can change throughout the weekend or even during its actual run. That’s how box office works lol It’s somewhat predictable but as always with numbers there’s always the probability that what we expect doesn’t happen :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Nova said:

Reporting my theater’s numbers isn’t me being lordnox. But please go off. 

Sorry for my part then. I just saw a lot of negativity from you everywhere on this. It hasn't even opened yet. It has 3 weeks to rake in some good cash

Edited by mulderfox
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Matthew said:

Shazam at 11.5%  now. Will likely beat Avengers Endgame today.

Think that's unlikely.  Just not rising fast enough on either MT or Fandango.  Shazam! is rising about .5% or so per hour over on MT.com (courtesy of akvalley's tracker) and a similar tale is being told on the rolling 24 hour tracker over at Fandango (it just jumped from 15.7% to 16.1% [purposefully checked before and after the latest update]).

It'll pick up steam as the day goes on and day-of tickets get bought for Shazam!, sure.  But don't think it's happening today.  We'll see about Fri and Sat though.

EDIT:::  

And of course, as other films rise, Endgame drops.  Just dropped to 50.6% over at MT, down from 52.2% and over at Fandango it dropped to 54.8%, down from 55.9% [combining all versions of Endgame].

So the number Shazam! has to reach will continue to drop; just don't think it'll drop fast enough.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Thank you! When I have the time I like to post my theater’s numbers. It’s not often but I do like to do it. Or at least report on how my theater is doing. I did it for Captain Marvel. I did it for Dumbo and I am doing it for Shazam. 

I mean i maybe coming across as negative because I’ve talked about the potential that Shazam has but I always make it clear that Shazam is a success regardless of its box office because it’s actually good! Anything it makes from the box office is the cherry on top for it at this point. And yes my personal expectations for the movie (I had it around $70M+ OW) is why I’m kinda bummed about how it’s doing at my theater and what it’s tracking at BUT again things can change throughout the weekend or even during its actual run. That’s how box office works lol It’s somewhat predictable but as always with numbers there’s always the probability that what we expect doesn’t happen :lol:

I’ve seen all your posts, we know you don’t troll. 

I wanted shazam to do gangbusters also but unfortunately that’s not going to happen. Overseas numbers are pretty bad and reception isn’t great so far.

That doesn’t change how I feel about the movie but I get why some are disappointed for sure, and a few people have been trolling the Shazam thread.

Anyways, back on topic.

the imax theatre I was tracking is now at 215/600 for tonight so it’s sold about 50 more seats in the last couple of days. Not sure what preview number people are expecting but it will be interesting to see what number comes out of tonight. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mulderfox said:

Sorry for my part then. I just saw a lot of negativity from you everywhere on this. It hasn't even opened yet. It has 3 weeks to rake in some good cash

Reporting on the sales of a movie is not being negative. He is bringing up the current sales because it is a TRACKING thread, and you trying to label him as a troll because of that is presumptuous. They have fanboy threads if you want to just speak about how much you are into the movie and how great you believe that its word of mouth will be, but no one else is required to do that, especially in a thread about tracking, just to placate you.                                                            

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nova said:

You are not required to do that in a thread that is supposed to be about tracking just to placate the fanboys. There is nothing wrong with your post since it is in the right place and their not being able to contextualize budget and gross is not anyone else's problem. The problem is that moderators are allowing fanboying into the thread, which is not supposed to be the case within a thread about numbers. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1