kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

8 minutes ago, Amorphous said:

It's so infuriating to see so many people screaming for these huge tentpole films to be just dropped on streaming.

Ugh.

Agreed, it makes sense for films that were in cinemas just prior to the closures to appear on VOD, but that shouldn’t mean all upcoming films should go to streaming. A film like WW84 has the potential to make over a billion dollars, it won’t make anything like that from $19.99 VOD purchases and WB knows this. Personally I’d rather them delay all the films that were scheduled to release but are currently unable to, I’m happy to wait to see this film on a big screen the way it was intended. Imagine if this had happened last year and Endgame was just dumped on streaming, the communal experience of seeing that film in a packed cinema with likeminded fans would have been totally lost.

Plus, just take a look at the social media posts pushing VOD releases of The Invisible Man, The Hunt and Onward, the majority of the comments are some variation of “I’m not paying $19.99!!!!”.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dune to still win Christmas? :) 

I was honestly so nervous I wasn't gonna see my baby this December, so you have no idea how happy I am for this August date.

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Smart of WB to basically block out a month free from competition. Tenet will have IMAX for 4 weeks from July 17 to Aug 14 and WW1984 will take over after that.

They have smartly managed to block all other big movies which could have thought of a release during that window from releasing. No Mulan, Black Widow or any other IMAX movie during those 4 weeks.

Will Tenet still come out on that date? Even if theaters reopen in July, I feel like attendance will still be a bit too low, and I don't think WB will want to risk it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

Will Tenet still come out on that date? Even if theaters reopen in July, I feel like attendance will still be a bit too low, and I don't think WB will want to risk it.

Tenet to be first billie hit to open in September?

WB clearly wanted to claim a date for this given Scoob and In the Heights were also delayed with no new dates set. I say move Scoob to the October slot The Witches had (and move that to Christmas as family/female counterprogramming) and In the Heights opens around Thanksgiving (sending Godzilla vs. Kong to 2021).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m gonna say it again, they should’ve stuck with that December 2019 release date. 

Nah, competing with Star Wars and Jumanji wouldn’t have made any financial sense, it would have just reduced the takings of all three films.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WB clearly wanted to claim a date for this given Scoob and In the Heights were also delayed with no new dates set. I say move Scoob to the October slot The Witches had (and move that to Christmas as family/female counterprogramming) and In the Heights opens around Thanksgiving (sending Godzilla vs. Kong to 2021).

WB probably has a lot more options to move things around. It's clear that WW1984 and Tenet are the priorities compared to Scoob and ITH. 

30 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Nah, competing with Star Wars and Jumanji wouldn’t have made any financial sense, it would have just reduced the takings of all three films.

Jumanji most likely wouldn’t have moved to that date if WW84 was still scheduled for it.

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Jumanji most likely wouldn’t have moved to that date if WW84 was still scheduled for it.

Yup

Jumanji is not going to want to compete with WW84 AND Star Wars

Edited by meridan

Even if it's clear by August, a lot of people aren't going to have the money to go to the cinema.

However, if this is the movie used for the grand reopening, then that's a different ballgame.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Even if it's clear by August, a lot of people aren't going to have the money to go to the cinema.

However, if this is the movie used for the grand reopening, then that's a different ballgame.

Yeah, August is way too early even with a grand reopening! We don't even have a timetable on when we can go back to work, nevermind going back to spend (too much) money at theaters! They're gonna have to give us a massive discount with the grand reopening!

Edited by sfran43