CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Apes lost its last show tonight to Dunkirk at one local and to Girls Trip at the other local...both locals have now dropped Apes 1-2 showings from previous plans made Tuesday...since they had so little to pare away, it seems Apes is the loser to the big new movies...

• Like 1

Welp, Valerian was my last hope to rank well in the summer game.

Stick a fork in it.

And if a time traveler told me Girls Trip and Baby Driver were going to make it instead of Baywatch and Valerian, I still would've told them to fuck off. So there was no saving my top 15.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Welp, Valerian was my last hope to rank well in the summer game.

Stick a fork in it.

And if a time traveler told me Girls Trip and Baby Driver were going to make it instead of Baywatch and Valerian, I still would've told them to fuck off. So there was no saving my top 15.

lol Valerian was always going to be a flop 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dunkirk and Girls Trip slaying is awesome. Moral of the story: quality pays.

Did you say... TOMATO LAW?!?!!

a-smiling-ripe-tomato_4fd60442c2b04-thum

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

Couple hours ago thinking Dunkirk 22, I think for now I'll keep it at that, GT 13, Val 6.5 , SMH 6, Apes 5.5

Great for Dunkirk and Girls Trip.

Apes is dead. Bury it.

SMH should do above 20M over the weekend with ease.

Valerian :rofl:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

Somewhere a super intelligent ape is flinging poop at you.

Well, quality movies that aren't sequels (or maybe that should be "aren't comic book sequels").

Why didn't Apes catch on? I have no idea. A revolving door of human stars with each movie? Dawn being helped by 2014 being a weak summer? I don't know. One thing I have noticed is that been an unusually flop/disappointment heavy summer (although the movies themselves were mostly the problem).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder why it did so much better than Rough Night.

They both play on the Bad Moms' theme.

Rough Night had a pretty dark premise for what was supposed to be a featherlight comedy. Girls Trip had a premise that went down easily and also had a hilarious marketing campaign. Plus a marketplace that was a desperate for a mainstream comedy that actually looked funny.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1