That One Girl

Christopher Robin | August 3, 2018 | 70% on RT (and rising!)

6 hours ago, PNF2187 said:

Dang, this is from Critics Choice. Hopefully this is just from a very small pool of reviews though.

Christopher Robin 50/100

I wouldn’t put much stock in that. They also said Infinity War would be a 40/100. And that wasn’t true.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not feeling the hype with this at all.  Can anyone tell me why this should open over 40 million?

Who said anything about this opening over 40. None of the tracking has it that high and the weak pre-sales definitely doesn't.  I will be shocked if you're even his 30 let alone 40.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Because 9 out of 10 times this board says they don't feel the hype, the movie does open to 40 or more?

And, frankly, when people say they don't fell the hype, nine times out of ten it means "I am not interested in this film".

I doubt this is  baumer's kind of film to begin with. Naturally he won't "feel the hype" for it.

41 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not feeling the hype with this at all.  Can anyone tell me why this should open over 40 million?

It won't...I'm not convinced $30M is possible and am leaning under $25M unless AMC's passes are growing exponentially (and Moviepass somehow makes this available this weekend)...perfect movie to watch free and perfect pass at double digit ticket costs...

What folks forget when they say Pooh is the #3 merchandise franchise for Disney is that it's baby stuff that's getting bought (pretty sure this is the #1 nursery seller character).  And no babies go to movies:)...

I mean, my kids saw the preview the last 2 weeks and were like "pass"...I don't know any kids clamoring for this - I see it as an adult-driven Disney fan and senior citizen demo movie...hopefully, it delivers to those folks...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It won't...I'm not convinced $30M is possible and am leaning under $25M unless AMC's passes are growing exponentially (and Moviepass somehow makes this available this weekend)...perfect movie to watch free and perfect pass at double digit ticket costs...

What folks forget when they say Pooh is the #3 merchandise franchise for Disney is that it's baby stuff that's getting bought (pretty sure this is the #1 nursery seller character).  And no babies go to movies:)...

I mean, my kids saw the preview the last 2 weeks and were like "pass"...I don't know any kids clamoring for this - I see it as an adult-driven Disney fan and senior citizen demo movie...hopefully, it delivers to those folks...

They've been marketing this almost exclusively to young children. I expect adult interest isn't very high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They've been marketing this almost exclusively to young children. I expect adult interest isn't very high.

Then they are in trouble, b/c the market for 1-5 year olds isn't that big, especially at $10+ ticket (ask Oogielove)...

I would have marketed this like Mary Poppins 2 is - my mom saw that at MM2 and fell in love and has decided 5 months out she is definitely seeing it...they should be looking at those nostalgic folks for this...b/c they would probably bring kids (or more likely, grand kids)...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Then they are in trouble, b/c the market for 1-5 year olds isn't that big, especially at $10+ ticket (ask Oogielove)...

I would have marketed this like Mary Poppins 2 is - my mom saw that at MM2 and fell in love and has decided 5 months out she is definitely seeing it...they should be looking at those nostalgic folks for this...b/c they would probably bring kids (or more likely, grand kids)...

I think the problem is that while Pooh and the rest of the characters remain popular merchandise sellers, that doesn't translate to ticket sales. The Tigger Movie, the biggest of all the animated Pooh movies, doesn't adjust to $80M even with 18 years of inflation.

• Like 1

I think this movie will surprise at least a couple of you...not being offered by moviepass effects it basically none if you ask me and no one will convince me otherwise.  It may even be perceived as higher quality because moviepass isn't supporting it.  Anyway, I see no reason it would significantly underperform Trolls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

I think this movie will surprise at least a couple of you...not being offered by moviepass effects it basically none if you ask me and no one will convince me otherwise.  It may even be perceived as higher quality because moviepass isn't supporting it.  Anyway, I see no reason it would significantly underperform Trolls.

Animated adorable trolls are far easier sells to small children. This looks to be more in the vein of Pete's Dragon '16 or The BFG.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

When was the last time any movie had embargo till the second half of Thursday? Even the shittiest movies with 20%> had Wednesday embargo drops. Is this movie so fricking terrible they basically hold critics as hostages?

The House was one studio movie that pushed it extremely late, until the friday after the previews thursday I think.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Animated adorable trolls are far easier sells to small children. This looks to be more in the vein of Pete's Dragon '16 or The BFG.

Will have to see.  I think this is a much better known franchise than those though.  If you ask me, the title is the weakest link - gotta focus on the critters.  And for goodness sakes show Pooh with a beehive on his head (no clue if this happens in the movie or not, referring to the preview)