That One Girl

Christopher Robin | August 3, 2018 | 70% on RT (and rising!)

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Okay so Pirates it is. The Wrinkle in Time review was a pity review but whatever, he's allowed to review however he pleases. Again I like him as a reviewer and 68% agree with him on what went wrong with the DCU.

7 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The film could still be well reviewed but I remember all the excuses for A Wrinkle in Time earlier this year. I'm still suspicious of Pooh's reception right now because of that. 

AWiT got a lot of excuses because it was released immediately after Annihilation which reminded all of us that just because a movie has a late embargo lift it isn't necessarily because it's a bad movie.

---

Consider this me making the statement that Tele would make if he were still here. ;)

====

edited

As an aside, the bigger 'tell' in regards to AWiT wasn't the review embargo but the near complete Radio Silence from folks who had seen the flick after the premiere.  As someone who was hopeful for AWiT but pretty skeptical at the same time THAT was the warning klaxon,  For me at least.

Christopher Robin, by comparison, doesn't seem to be suffering the same lack of discussion.  Pro and con, for that matter.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

David Ehrlich, as always, coming through:

• Like 1

This has significantly more hype than the 2011 film. And these movies tend to go over tracking/predictions rather than under due to WOM and walk-up family audiences. I’m expecting at least $40M.

Edited by nick64
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like Moviebob's videos so this isn't a dig but name one recent Disney film that he hasn't liked?

A Wrinkle In Time? Which, btw, I know that the excuses controversy has a lot of people really sold on that "every critic is a Disney shill" boat (some are only on that boat because of DCEU hate, and, well, DCEU movies mostly suck, so I agree with critics there), but to my money, I think some of those excuses are valid: I've seen AWIT recently for the 1st time, and I agree that it is an ambitious movie and tries hard to go weird and bold with some of its ideas, and there are some heartwarming moments every now and then. The cast is fine enough as well. I wouldn't give the movie a consolation "there, there" in the back just because it was the 1st major tentpole film directed by an African American female and it didn't work, but I would give the film credit in a few areas and I want to believe that was the point of some of the more lenient reviews as well (apart from the very few straight up "this movie did nothing wrong" biased ones that I've seen, of course). But yeah, the movie as a whole really doesn't work and is a structural and presentation-wise total disaster. The shots with Godzilla Oprah and the Magical Cabbage Carpet had me in tears.... of laughing so much.

As far as Robin goes, the trailers were very promising (even if I wasn't really sold on the Acres creatures' looks, terrific CGI aside), so I'm not hugely surprised that it seems like it may be a good film, but that only makes the embargo more nonsensical. Why is it so close to release? If it's a half decent film, the embargo should be out way in advance. Christopher Robin is not a Beauty And The Beast or The Lion King where it will make hundreds of millions of dollars just on name alone.

• Like 1