Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

How does the daily reputation points leaderboard work? What time zones constitute the division between days?

I had 3 posts yesterday which had 9, 8, and 7 reputation points respectively and thought damn look at me go gonna end up on the leaderboard for the first time in ages, but I wasn't in the top 3 (with third getting 20 points). This isn't a complaint of course of "that's not fair I wanna be on the leaderboard" I'm just curious as to how it works. Do only certain reactions (like a "like" or "thanks") count? Is it likes given to any post on that particular day, or is it likes on a post MADE on a particular day?

4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I saw All Is True yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. It has a scene with just Branagh, McKellen and a candle light that's just electric.

Didn't know Ian Mckellen is in it.

I love Branagh but not sure I can get over that ridiculous makeup.

Taken has just started on telly, in honour of Liam Neeson I'm watching it.

Had completely forgotten that the daughter is traveling the whole of Europe going to every single U2 gig on their tour. Amazing.

dug High Flying Bird. probably need a rewatch cause it's not a movie that ever stops to wait for you (in the final minutes especially) but that's welcome when you clearly sense that it's by and about professionals who know their shit. dialogue and cast are a joy. didn't think the iPhone added much to this unlike with Unsane. also a breath of fresh air to see a movie by an A-list American filmmaker that's so explicitly set *today* when practically all the big names seem unable to get out of the past.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

How does the daily reputation points leaderboard work? What time zones constitute the division between days?

I had 3 posts yesterday which had 9, 8, and 7 reputation points respectively and thought damn look at me go gonna end up on the leaderboard for the first time in ages, but I wasn't in the top 3 (with third getting 20 points). This isn't a complaint of course of "that's not fair I wanna be on the leaderboard" I'm just curious as to how it works. Do only certain reactions (like a "like" or "thanks") count? Is it likes given to any post on that particular day, or is it likes on a post MADE on a particular day?

It’s a rolling 24 hr clock, I believe. 

i just watched Dredd & Taken, both very rewatchable films. I will never not be bothered by the boat at the end of taken though. He storms on board a speeding boat on a river, kills all the baddies on board so he can rescue his daughter. WHO'S DRIVING THE BOAT?

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

dug High Flying Bird. probably need a rewatch cause it's not a movie that ever stops to wait for you (in the final minutes especially) but that's welcome when you clearly sense that it's by and about professionals who know their shit. dialogue and cast are a joy. didn't think the iPhone added much to this unlike with Unsane. also a breath of fresh air to see a movie by an A-list American filmmaker that's so explicitly set *today* when practically all the big names seem unable to get out of the past.

🤔

So, it just kinda hit me that I'm going to be 20 tomorrow. Not really ready to consider myself an adult, so I'm going to be using the term "twenty-teen" for the next little while :lol:

Anyways I just thought it was the right time to do a little post about BOT and what its meant for me, basically as I grew up. I'm pretty sure I found out about these Forums in February or March of 2013, and stalked for a while until I made an account in July of 2014 (4.5 years ago... holy shit). Before BOT I was basically this middle-schooler who loved movies but had no one to discuss them with because what other teenager in the world is going to have the time, or even care to, analyze box office numbers. While I did have friends back then of course, I did feel rather alone at times because so much of my downtime was spent learning about movies and box office. 

And then upon joining BOT I basically found this community of people who were just like me, in the sense that they have very different lives, but are connected by their love and passion for movies. So many people on this site were extremely friendly right off the bat, like Kalo and Ethan and Tele just to name a few. And the community always grew and evolved, and despite hitting a few bumps along the way and a few users who came and went that I can live without, this site as a whole really made me feel like I wasn't alone. It gave me the confidence to embrace the side of myself who loved movies, leading me to things like applying for a job at the local movie theatre, where I worked for over 3 years, and made many more friends along the way. 

It even made me more confident at school and in everyday life. Not in the sense that I could go and talk about movies to everyone, but in the sense that I wasn't some weird outsider, and that I belonged somewhere. And the people on this site stuck around as I went though different stages and events in my life: breaking up with a high school girlfriend, losing my grandparents, graduating, moving out and going to college, my parents' divorce, all of it. 

So with that I just want to say thank you. For being a part of my growing up, and giving me the sense of belonging and confidence I needed to become the (I don't like using the term "man" because I still consider myself a kid) person I am today. 

• Like 11