Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

Is it really most ? and if so is there anything special about the US ?

t_k05dmyvu-bagvwhf0hiq.png

Only two other institutions (the military and small business) of the 15 others measured this year scored higher than the police.

Police do seem to be one of the must trusted and liked institution in the US.

Confidence in Institutions: 2016 and 2017
  June 2016 June 2017 Change: 2016 to 2017
  % % pct. pts.
Newspapers 20 27 7
Public schools 30 36 6
Banks 27 32 5
Organized labor 23 28 5
U.S. Supreme Court 36 40 4
Criminal justice system 23 27 4
Congress 9 12 3
Television news 21 24 3
Big business 18 21 3
Small business 68 70 2
Police 56 57 1
Church or organized religion 41 41 0
Military 73 72 -1
Medical system 39 37 -2
Presidency 36 32 -4
News on the internet n/a 16 n/a
GALLUP

https://news.gallup.com/poll/196610/americans-respect-police-surges.aspx

• 76% say they have "a great deal" of respect for the police in their area

I think this can be a case were people that dislike the police are much more vocals (or at least for what reach you) giving a false impression, 

I think most people do trust or respect the police in general  to protect the public but I think many don't trust them if they have to deal with them personally. 

@aabattery is that you who looks out for news about him?

At today’s FX today, Taika Waititi said he’s definitely not directing 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.,' “however I’m still hanging out with those guys (Marvel) and talking about new stuff”

Edited by terrestrial
typo
  • Like 1

@Barnack in cases like that I am a bit vary about such kind of numbers:

who did the questionnaire in which region? How where the questions exactly formulated? Who did the processing of the results?

And if a minority gets treated unjust, will that be even recognisable in those kind of numbers? What's with regional differences? The US has not a common law for all states and so on

2 hours ago, cookie said:

I've been to Australia. Fifteen years ago this year. :ph34r:

Almost the reverse for me. 

I was in the US 13 years ago this week. I drove down the coast with my brother from Seattle and finished at Seal Beach, Orange County on Super Bowl Sunday. 

We watched about half of the game at a pub on Main Street. 

the stable state is the resistance that resists when demonstrations and chaotic Civil UNREST (the resistance) occurs in America. 

This energy has to be absorbed by something, 

it was at its greatest during the 2016 election,

but not everyone is hyped up to hunt for alt-right people and protest their anonymity on online bulletin boards

what happened?  was most of this stuff Facebook-dependent?  is white supremacy an allowed title in a colored society and is it deserving of growth/expansion/reproduction?

Trump was saying those people must be shut up during the election and arrested, are laws absorbing demonstrations/freeway protests?

it seemed that Democrats really did not like Republicans, but

Republicans HATED Obama and almost half the country and a lot of the world resented him and it could have been mostly color driven on a business level

Edited by romancechemicalsWW12

8 hours ago, terrestrial said:

@Barnack in cases like that I am a bit vary about such kind of numbers:

who did the questionnaire in which region? How where the questions exactly formulated? Who did the processing of the results?

And if a minority gets treated unjust, will that be even recognisable in those kind of numbers? What's with regional differences? The US has not a common law for all states and so on

I would assume gallup has good methodology (2016 with a random sample of –1,017— adults, aged 18+, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, Interviews are conducted with respondents on landline telephones and cellular phones, with interviews conducted in Spanish for respondents who are primarily Spanish-speaking, weigthed to match demography and phone usage status), the result show a significant gap between police respect-trust and race yes:

1uthjczb7uchzs16vsc0pw.png

But even among minorities it raised quite a bit and is the vast majority that have great deal of respect for them.

You can click on the link, they breakdown by rural, urban, party line, race, age, etc... complete methodology: http://www.gallup.com/file/poll/196631/161022RespectPolice.pdf?utm_source=link_newsv9&utm_campaign=item_196610&utm_medium=copy

8 hours ago, romancechemicalsWW12 said:

the stable state is the resistance that resists when demonstrations and chaotic Civil UNREST (the resistance) occurs in America. 

This energy has to be absorbed by something, 

it was at its greatest during the 2016 election,

but not everyone is hyped up to hunt for alt-right people and protest their anonymity on online bulletin boards

what happened?  was most of this stuff Facebook-dependent?  is white supremacy an allowed title in a colored society and is it deserving of growth/expansion/reproduction?

Trump was saying those people must be shut up during the election and arrested, are laws absorbing demonstrations/freeway protests?

it seemed that Democrats really did not like Republicans, but

Republicans HATED Obama and almost half the country and a lot of the world resented him and it could have been mostly color driven on a business level

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Green Book won at the @Telemachos awards along with Viggo, Glenn, Richard E. Grant, and Judi Dench for a movie I've never even heard of until now.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/green-book-wins-aarps-movies-grownups-awards-2019-all-winners-1178571/item/best-supporting-actor-1182618

I’m offended. All these movies have color and sound. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4