Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

12 minutes ago, DAR said:

I will disappoint you a bit,  I haven't really followed him.   But this will apply to every shortstop in our farm system since Robin Yount

He has range out the wazoo and if he can hit, watch out.

But he could be a work in progress

I'll add some more context on Pomeranz.  He has been... Not that great in the rotation.  At all. 

Probably could be a spot starter if there's an emergency though.  But even as a #5 starter I'd be really nervous.

But if he stays in the bullpen, should help out.  IF the sample size is indicative, which it might not be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolwoodpr said:

I use my iPad exclusively and I do have a computer that I dust off every few months.  iPad makes it really easy to forego a computer.

Ahh, interesting.

Do you know if a 2nd generation ipad pro 12.9" (with a matching Logitech keyboard) is good for surfing/writing posts here, reading books, watching Netlix or similar, itunes TV series + movies?

A pencil recommendable? I read some remarks a pen helps with the screen not getting problems???

Is there something recommendable as an alternative to Office 365? I've seen an app called 'files' that seems to be able, but its so cheap (around $6) I am not sure if its only an add on to something else.

I have no problem to pay once for a software, but I refuse that ~ rent version Adobe, e.g. Office 365. and ... nowadays do.

I create, write and edit .doc .xls and .pdf files, but can do those also on the notebook or pc if there is no alternative.

I am searching through YT clips for the moment, I seem to use wrong search terms, the most clips for now only gush about the ipads, no real information

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I create, write and edit .doc .xls and .pdf files, but can do those also on the notebook or pc if there is no alternative.

Worst case scenario, you can use your outlook.com account to make those on a webbrowser, like google documents.

Those free online version do not offer the Office 365 paid version level of options, but for simple one it work.

• Like 1

Wow.  Giants made THREE separate deadline moves (Reds, Twins, Rays).  I know Sam Dyson is to the Twins and Scooter Gennett is the the Giants from the Reds. No idea what else is happening.

Edited by Porthos

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Worst case scenario, you can use your outlook.com account to make those on a webbrowser, like google documents.

Those free online version do not offer the Office 365 paid version level of options, but for simple one it work.

I do not have an outlook account neither (I do not use any email on a pc program, I do not save emails on m pc...., I write directly in the mails within my mail account provider) - my phone's very few ~ apps I got per another persons's .live account, since then I never updated.

Nor do I use google for anything beside searching (I mostly use duckduckgo) and YT

Thank you a lot for the suggestion still, it does help to get a picture 😉

As long as its simple to get the data into .doc and .xls.... I am fine.

The kind of files I'd use on such a device are rather simple ones, fingers crossed. As I wont throw away the notebook....

40 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

My local theaters haven't gotten A24 releases since 2015 and one of those theaters had a long-standing policy against showing R-rated films that they've finally begun to drop this year. What's opening at that theater on Friday? Freaking Midsommar. If not for the fact that it really got under my skin when I saw it while I was out of town a few weeks ago, I'd be tempted to go again just to see what kind of audience it gets.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Wow.  Giants made THREE separate deadline moves (Reds, Twins, Rays).  I know Sam Dyson is to the Twins and Scooter Gennett is the the Giants from the Reds. No idea what else is happening.

Isn't the trade deadline awesome Porthos??

(Of course I don't follow the baseball one, just hockey, but I imagine the trade deadline for every major sport is just as awesome!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

I will add that the Giants have a LOT of depth at the AAA level when it comes to relievers 

Seems like you traded every reliever not named Will Smith so you might need that

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Seems like you traded every reliever not named Will Smith so you might need that

Nah, still have Tony Watson and Reyes Moronta as well.  

Of the three traded:

Pomeranz:  Non factor, IMO.  Was just sent to the pen and while he exceled there, SSS.  Also could probably just throw another underperforming starter there.  Meh.

Melancon: Inconsistent in previous years, not used in many high leverage situations.  I like him better than many Giants fans and he was on the verge of the re-entering the core of the bullpen.  Hurts a little, but shedding the entire contract makes it worth it.

Dyson:  This is a ding, no way around it.  But he has blown up in the past (in Texas which is how we got him on the cheap) which always makes one wonder.  However he was one of the current "core three".  But I also don't think it's that big of a loss.

My biggest worry, actually, is the increased role Reyes Moronta will get.  The guy is a strike out wizard, but he's also nearly as wild as Nuke LaLoosh at times.  Well, a bit of an exaggeration I guess, but he hasn't QUITE harnessed his stuff which has led to a lot of stressful innings

On the other hand, there were a lot of relievers pounding down the door at AA and AAA.  

Sam Selman is the biggest upside play.  A virtual unknown before this season, he's turned the corner and has the best K% rate in all of AAA.  He is currently at an insane 43% K rate right now (was as high as 45%) and his walk rate is only 8.6%.  Given how crazy the PCL has been on offense this year, those are ridonculous rates.

Melvon Adon just got activated will be activated soon* from AA. He has a 100+ mph fastball, but he's still got a wild hair up his ass, as the saying goes, so who knows how he'll play at the MLB level.

They'll have to make another move from the farm, but those are the two bigger names.

Really it's replacing Sam Dyson and filling out the middle section of the bullpen which will be the ask.  Not guaranteed to do it, but I like their chances.

Edited by Porthos

I'm still really surprised that Greinke got dealt. I know the deal makes plenty of sense (it's basically a repeat of the Astros' own waiver deadline pickup of Verlander two years ago), but I figured the money left on his deal would be prohibitive. Even a month ago, I wouldn't have guessed that Greinke would be traded while free-agent-to-be Bumgarner stayed put, yet here we are.

• Like 2

So I saw that three of the four biggest cities have the best three teams in all of major league baseball: New York City (Yankees), Los Angeles (Dodgers) and Houston (Astros). The league and the networks must be in heaven!

Docs to Go Premium might be o.K. for the potential ipad buy (its a mix between being a present and a buy, like if I do not take it he'll sell it for double the price at ebay, acc to for which prices that version seems to get at ebay even in rather used condition)

Strangely Microsoft Word... would be for free if it would be used for a at max 10.1" IOS based version it seems

5 hours ago, JB33 said:

Isn't the trade deadline awesome Porthos??

(Of course I don't follow the baseball one, just hockey, but I imagine the trade deadline for every major sport is just as awesome!)

Funny enough, it was pretty garbage right until the Greinke deal got announced...13 minutes after it ended.

I wanted to cry after the announcement but I was on the public train so... :kitschjob:

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I wanted to cry after the announcement but I was on the public train so...

Your feelings are valid!  Embrace them!  Don't buy into The Prison of Toxic Masculinity! Free yourself!  Cry away!  We support you! :)

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1