aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

Just now, YourMother said:

God Damn!

I think people are underestimating the strength of the Hispanic market, not just Mexican Americans in the US for Coco.  It's huge and heavily movie going.

It's why I can't see it doing Good Dinosaur  numbers or even sub $200m even if the reviews were at that level which they're not so far.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Wow, Mojo says $121 million for TR.

The buzz just kept building for this, a month ago it seemed like a $90m opening was more likely. Maybe the Tomatometer mattered?

Thor 2 did 85, I never believed 90 million was where it would open given the fresh look of the film, plus the addition of Hulk.  Felt like Wonder Woman opening was the floor and in actuality I think Thor 3 pretty much maxed out for opening.  121-122 million is phenomenal.  Should pass 300 million, likely closer to 315, unless it absolutely tumbles with Justice League in 2 weeks.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 4

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I think people are underestimating the strength of the Hispanic market, not just Mexican Americans in the US for Coco.  It's huge and heavily movie going.

It's why I can't see it doing Good Dinosaur  numbers or even sub $200m even if the reviews were at that level which they're not so far.

God Unkrich shall prevail yet again!

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Wow, Mojo says $121 million.

The buzz just kept building for this, a month ago it seemed like a $90m opening was more likely. Maybe the Tomatometer mattered?

I think it had an impact. I’ve been excited for this movie for a while and if it had gotten a meh or bad reception (not just from critics but from fans or audiences), I’d still see it, but I might’ve waited for the second or third week instead of seeing it OW. 

• Like 1

So many good things in the numbers this weekend.... but so many harsh drops as well - holdovers will continue to be shattered as we move into November with nothing left really come Thanksgiving.

Also gotta LOL at some of the posters - we tried telling you yesterday that you cannot compare summer sundays with school year sundays - even with some school systems off tomorrow it isn't enough.

Also 90m OW a month ago for Thor was people trying to be safe in their projections considering its been tracking at 100m+ for a while longer than that.

Solid start to the November / Winter time frame.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Don't know why this did not embed.  Impressive!

That means Coco is a very good movie (it's Pixar, nothing from them can be considered as bad). Some people are predicting a box office for Coco at Brave's levels ... i think it's gonna go like InsideOut, on the 800M+ ww.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

good.  very good.

Love it! A horror event if there ever was one. The only other horror movie I've ever seen more than once in the theatre was THE CONJURING 2 last year, and that was really because I was bored the day I saw it a 2nd time and figured what the hell. 

Can't wait to grab it on blu ray!

• Like 2