CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

Isn’t there more previews still going on? I would say around $46-$48 million seem more possible, and an OW around $205-$215 million. Yeah a big drop off, keep in mind Force was the most hyped film for years. Jedi is hyped yes, but no where the level of hype that Force was 2 Years ago. 

the 400+ seat IMAX in southern California, the Irvine Spectrum IMAX, is looking healthy at the 4:30 am showing.  60% +.  Dunkirk was selling out there at 1am.  The preview might change depending on the all night shows.   I think it will increase on this emphasis alone.  The average all nighter won't mind going to the theater at 3am.   The premier of Star Wars makes this premise enticing.

55 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Insane that a $45m preview is sort of a “yawn” result for us now. Miss the old days, but still interested to see the movie itself on Sunday and follow the holiday box office results. 

meh, 45 is 1.5 TDKR and BvS.  I think 45 is great.  Maybe TFA was just too much?  Perhaps some of the preview money was people paying big bucks for top viewing.

4 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

Lol, I doubt it will go that low.  This year the score has been nice to dark movies.

It’s down to 73% now. It really seems to be super fans upset about the direction it took. Apparently it’s the end of Star Wars lmao. Also saw some reviews calling for Rian Johnson to be fired. I wonder what the CinemaScore will be...

6 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

It’s down to 73% now. It really seems to be super fans upset about the direction it took. Apparently it’s the end of Star Wars lmao. Also saw some reviews calling for Rian Johnson to be fired. I wonder what the CinemaScore will be...

Where do you see this audience score? On RT it's still  "99% want to see"

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

Running out of time!  Picks are due by 1:00 PST tonight!  Make sure all 10 are picked. ( go back into the prediction screen and if they are not all green they are not all picked )

The Last Jedi Derby Contest

Play the Derby... have the closest OW prediction of The Last Jedi... and you will win 3 months of a Gold Account.

By playing the Derby you will also be entered into the Derby Tournament where you can win a $25 Fandango Gift Card

Already said in the mothership thread, but TLJ gets the coveted Porthos' Seal of Approval. RebWGyw.png

Gonna see it again within a couple of weeks.  Maybe even this weekend.

Ain't saying anything else here. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

When they go in a different direction this happens....no wonder JJ remade Episode 4

Oh, yeah, one other thing, actually.

I can see why Lucasfilm gave Johnson the keys to a trilogy after seeing this film.  Just from a purely craftsmanship level it is REALLY REALLY REALLY great.  TLJ is a strongly directed film, exceptionally well made.

I'd love to say why I think that, but even talking about what Rian Johnson did right as a craftsman might be too much for this thread's rules.  Safe to say though, as even while I was watching the film, I was drawing conclusions about Johnson as a storyteller and when I walked out I was mighty damn impressed with the tale he told and how he told it.

I might have quibbles here and there, but that's why I don't think it is a perfect film; just a very good one.

Overall though, I am very much looking to see where he can take the SW universe in his upcoming trilogy.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1