CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Well Titanic has the most admissions I'm not actually sure which made the most adjusted $.

:ph34r:

I...i forgot...Titanic :wintf:

Im going to a corner for shaming purposes now. Titanics first run adjusts to 1.1B dollars in NA (holy shit).

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Very good example. Its actually astounding that the adjusted highest-grossing first run of any movie ever (DOM) is The Force Awakens. Unless i am mistaken in that regard, thats an unbelievable achievement for a sequel.

Huh? Look at these runs adjusted for 2015 prices. Doesn't even properly factor in IMAX/3D/PLF.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=starwars4.htm&adjust_yr=2015&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=titanic.htm&adjust_yr=2015&p=.htm

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Im going to a corner for shaming purposes now. Titanics first run adjusts to 1.1B dollars in NA (holy shit).

How do you work the adjustment out? It made $600m on it's first run and this inflation website I'm using says that it converts to $910m today.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Talking about single runs, Star Wars got re-released. As were you..

Edited by IronJimbo

Just now, IronJimbo said:

How do you work the adjustment out? It made $600m on it's first run and this inflation website I'm using says that it converts to $910m today.

He's using the ticket price adjustment method that BOM uses, as you should. Ticket price inflation since 1997 has outstripped general inflation quite significantly.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I realised my mistakes :lol: still much to learn i have.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

BOM adjusts Titanics first run to 1,1B+ in 2017 Dollars. TFA is just under 990M.

12/19/1997 Titanic $1,146,128,800
04/04/2012 Titanic 3D $63,658,300
12/01/2017 Titanic (20th Anniversary) $691,600
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You're right, Titanic adjust to be the highest-grossing initial theatrical run of all time. But The Force Awakens isn't 2nd. There's also E.T., and potentially also The Sound of Music, The Ten Commandments and Doctor Zhivago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hw64 said:

You're right, Titanic adjust to be the highest-grossing initial theatrical run of all time. But The Force Awakens isn't 2nd. There's also E.T., and potentially also The Sound of Music, The Ten Commandments and Doctor Zhivago.

What about the original Star Wars?

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I got  194,821,449 * 4, coming to 780m

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

ticket price.

2017 ticket price divided by 1977 ticket price, then multiply this value by it's first run gross .

Wikipedia says $220m first run and The-Numbers.com has a pretty detailed weekend gross pattern that seems to indicate about $215m when they pulled it in April 1978. Re-released three months later.

SO....this has like a 57% rating by moviegoers on rottentomatoes. Lol. I mean let's face it, critics/fanboys are star wars nerds so a decent star wars would get 80+% on rt. Hard to please general public. 

I hope I find it as awesome as my TFA and Rogue One experience. Both of which I gave 10/10.

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

SO....this has like a 57% rating by moviegoers on rottentomatoes. Lol. I mean let's face it, critics/fanboys are star wars nerds so a decent star wars would get 80+% on rt. Hard to please general public. 

I hope I find it as awesome as my TFA and Rogue One experience. Both of which I gave 10/10.

It's been discussed over and over but it was brought down by a concerted campaign by some fringe loonies and the use of bots.  That doesn't mean there isn't a part of the core fan base or GA that legitimately doesn't like it, but they're not the reason the score cratered seconds after the score went up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

It's been discussed over and over but it was brought down by a concerted campaign by some fringe loonies and the use of bots.  That doesn't mean there isn't a part of the core fan base or GA that legitimately doesn't like it, but they're not the reason the score cratered seconds after the score went up.

A co-worker is still kind of baffled about the amount of hate this movie is getting. Told him about people burning merchandise, and he just kind of stared for a moment.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

But, it still has not gone up...so while I accept the "Deadline conspiracy theory article" to a point...at some point, as 10K upon 10K verified Facebook users continue to post, the score should go up...but it hasn't...I mean, the votes have gone up about 10K+ votes/day since opening, and it's still the same score...

I mean, at some point, the RT.com score's validity as a reasonable score goes up, and it's not just "anecdotal" anymore...doesn't mean it's exactly how folks feel, but in this circumstance, it does become clear folks think less than the critics think, since the critics were near universal praise...how much less the regular viewers like it vs the critics is still a question based on how much you think folks skewed it, but we've had an additional 53K votes posted since open...and all of those are not "internet haters"...so, there is not "universal" praise from the GA like there was from the critics...

Now, as a side note - B&TB didn't get universal GA praise (81% is very good, but it's not great) and it's #2 this year, so you don't need universal praise to sky an enormous total...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

I watched with 8 people.

I am the most hardcore of them as a star war fan, they are more casual (but even a casual star war fan is pretty knowledgeable about the lore than an HP casual fan).

They all loved it.

I was the only one 'conflicted'. 

• Haha 1