a2k

Wednesday Numbers: TLJ $5.1 million

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I doubt Disney is overjoyed about Rian Johnson work in Episode 8 either ^^^ 

It made them a lot of money but it has fallen on the low end of box office expectations.

I doubt they expected the film to divide the Star Wars fanbase...especially when they are only on their third film.

I think they believed they made a film SW fans would love, but I think were taken a bit back by the backlash. 

If an outrage of 20 min of olaf short in front of a original film had already caused disney to react to remove it, I am pretty sure disney won't be happy or take it lightly for all the backlash of SW8 

Edited by titanic2187

44 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Where the fuck are Thursday numbers?

Here you go:

Daily Domestic Chart for Thursday January 4th, 2018

Movie Gross % Change Theaters Total Gross Days
- (14) Lady Bird $204,984 -13% 392   $32,556,091 63
- (-) The Disaster Artist $133,451 -24% 507   $18,685,748 35
- (-) The Florida Project $10,825 -13% 33   $5,349,682 91
  • Like 3

Glove_bigger.jpgGitesh Pandya @GiteshPandya

Strong start for #InsidiousTheLastKey w/ $2M from THU night pre-shows despite Arctic weather in much of the east. 28% better than last #Insidious film from summer of 2015 & double what HappyDeathDay did this past OCT. Will join #JumanjiJumanji_Emoji.png & #StarWarsThe_Last_Jedi_BB8_emoji_v3.png in Top 3 this wknd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the beast said:
Glove_bigger.jpgGitesh Pandya @GiteshPandya

Strong start for #InsidiousTheLastKey w/ $2M from THU night pre-shows despite Arctic weather in much of the east. 28% better than last #Insidious film from summer of 2015 & double what HappyDeathDay did this past OCT. Will join #JumanjiJumanji_Emoji.png & #StarWarsThe_Last_Jedi_BB8_emoji_v3.png in Top 3 this wknd.

really is remarkable the reliability of horror in January.  

i personally thought this would struggle to hit low teens over the 3 day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I doubt Disney is overjoyed about Rian Johnson work in Episode 8 either ^^^ 

It made them a lot of money but it has fallen on the low end of box office expectations.

I doubt they expected the film to divide the Star Wars fanbase...especially when they are only on their third film.

I think they believed they made a film SW fans would love, but I think were taken a bit back by the backlash. 

What else did you learn from sitting in at the latest board meeting?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

really is remarkable the reliability of horror in January.  

i personally thought this would struggle to hit low teens over the 3 day.

Moviepass - its power:)...

I mean, I think the stats say 75% of Moviepass holders are millennials...that's like the sweet spot for this type of movie:)...

3 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Deadline says TLJ 4.4M Thursday and Jumanji 6M

I for one love this sudden deluge of numbers :insane:

-15.8% for TLJ and -13.3% for Jumanji

Edited by a2knet

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney announced the new trilogy as a show of support for a film they had internal concerns about.  But who knows. 

They will course correct after Solo. If Rian can't come up with something more upbeat creative differences will be cited. They didn't buy Lucasfilm to be profitable. They want all the moneys. 

I just wish they would slow down and Improve the writing. Issues with cannon aside I think TLJ was a paint by numbers story that other than nonsensical twists wasn't as original as people suggest (Too many Empire and RotJ callbacks). And despite all the broken dishes doesn't open up the universe all that much IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adm56 said:

Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood are awesome. The former is in my top five all time, but I'll admit TWBB took some time to grow on me (DDL is great in it even though his Gangs of New York role is still my favorite performance of his).  But I also thought Inherent Vice was terrible (although hats off to Katherine Waterson for being very fit). Magnolia has some issues (I don't care for the very beginning or very end) but is strong otherwise. Punch Drunk Love and The Master are a bit meh but PSH is great in the latter.

I admit i have not seen Boogie Nights. The films of his that I have seen though have been super boring and pretentious. Also why are all his films 3 hours long? Like being boring alone is bad enough, but dragging that out and making me bored for as long as possible... its just not fair. In that respect I suppose Punch Drunk Love is the one I dislike the least because it is the shortest. Literally half the length of Magnolia

Edited by Tree Billboards
  • Like 1