CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

2 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I guess even if you overestimate your predictions it could be an underperformance, I thought The Last Air Bender would make 2B

did you think it was an Avatar sequel or something?

6 minutes ago, Sliver Legion said:

Maybe part of the issue is people talking past each other by interpreting “disappointing” as “not great.” 225 is great. It is just also disappointing. These concepts are not mutually exclusive if you were hoping for “super great.” (Not that you need to be *expecting* super great for great to be dissapointing, mind you. Even if you were expecting 225 and hoping for 250, 225 could be both great and disappointing.)

The bold part is the problem that some of us are having. There is ABSOLUTELY no disappointment in a 225m OW for Infinity War. Per normal, BOT on a large % got numbers drunk in the week leading up to the opening (spurred on by Deadline's bad behavior last night) and now can't reconcile the irrational expectation with reality. Those of us that have stuck down to earth and more grounded  (in actual realistic data not one of the God's overhype....) were mocked incessantly the past week.... 

225m is not a disappointment - no way, no how and besides it should pass that # anyway IF the current trends hold up.

4 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I guess even if you overestimate your predictions it could be an underperformance, I thought The Last Air Bender would make 2B

*shrug* 

I'm quite happy to be a fan of a film that 'underperforms' and still clears 600m DOM easily.  That pretty much is my perspective on the whole thing. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

The bold part is the problem that some of us are having. There is ABSOLUTELY no disappointment in a 225m OW for Infinity War. Per normal, BOT on a large % got numbers drunk in the week leading up to the opening (spurred on by Deadline's bad behavior last night) and now can't reconcile the irrational expectation with reality. Those of us that have stuck down to earth and more grounded  (in actual realistic data not one of the God's overhype....) were mocked incessantly the past week.... 

225m is not a disappointment - no way, no how and besides it should pass that # anyway IF the current trends hold up.

One can be personally disappointed. Everyone has that right whether it bothers others or not. 

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

100m o/d was what I stated this morning should be the target - all is on track for that 235m..... Right in between 1st and 3rd place, Headed for a 500m~ finish.

Maybe what people should be disappointed with or worried about is the domestic total. Less than 600m with 235m OW, is just horrible in this case as all previous 200m openers have made it past 600m. 

• Like 1

I really really want that true Friday record so I'm hoping for an opening day of $103M. I don't actually care too much about the opening day record, or the opening weekend for that matter, as I accept that Star Wars is just a presales monster, which gives it a boost as far as those records are concerned.

• Like 1

Just now, JB33 said:

One can be personally disappointed. Everyone has that right whether it bothers others or not. 

Of course, but personal disappointment does not make the performance a disappointment which is where most of the forum gets confused. It's that personal emotional into "numbers" that make them something other than what they are. And why (ala TLJ) when the numbers don't match previous patterns it causes the number crunchers to have indigestion.

• Like 2

Just now, JB33 said:

I really really want that true Friday record so I'm hoping for an opening day of $103M. I don't actually care too much about the opening day record, or the opening weekend for that matter, as I accept that Star Wars is just a presales monster, which gives it a boost as far as those records are concerned.

If you trick everyone into seeing a movie on the same day they can't complain to each other if it wasn't good!