CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Better paid, sure.  But there's a difference between making sure Evans gets six mill as opposed to two and Downey getting 100 million per film.  It just seems excessive to me.  

Well RDJ would probably be fine with getting a pay cut IF his cast members got the money but we both the execs would just pocket the difference.

And sure Downey could give some of his check to his cast members directly but then the money would get taxed twice and to be honest, he shouldn't have to.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

RDJ's greed at this point is staggering.  I realize he is the most popular Avenger, but how about splitting up the money so that all the cast members are well compensated?  

I don’t know how anyone could call Iron Man the most popular Avenger if they saw the same AIW movie that I did this weekend. 

These "Downey is making $200M from Avengers 3 and 4" rumors are hella annoying because they're so ridiculous.  If he had *demanded* for that much, do people really think Marvel/Disney would cave in?

(Having said that, if his agents managed to add a percentage-of-earnings clause into his contract, which I'm assuming was renegotiated after IM1 came out, and maybe again after TA1 came out, then that's just smart business.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pensivepenguin said:

These "Downey is making $200M from Avengers 3 and 4" rumors are hella annoying because they're so ridiculous.  If he had *demanded* for that much, do people really think Marvel/Disney would cave in?

(Having said that, if his agents managed to add a percentage-of-earnings clause into his contract, which I'm assuming was renegotiated after IM1 came out, and maybe again after TA1 came out, then that's just smart business.)

RDJ probably has a percentage of gross deal rather than getting a huge amount upfront. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Between now and 2020, Avengers 4 is the only movie that has a chance to break the OW record imo, and if it somehow succeeds (which is not super likely, but I'd be a moron to underestimate its realistic chance once again), then nothing is touching the record for another 5-10 years. Not that IW is gonna make it any easy to break, though.

As far as the others:
- Jurassic World 2: The 1st one had the 14 year separation novelty and was a walkup wom monster; the absolute ceiling for this imo is O/U JW1 OW as it'll be more frontloaded, and that is a 10% chance at best, with a more likely result being a 170-180 opening

- The Lion King: I've called 200M+ OW for this before anyone else in this forum and I have the evidence to back it up :ph34r: That being said, I see a result in the JW-TLJ range as it is a family skewing movie and it'll be more backloaded alas animated films

- Star Wars Ep. IX: It has no hook and TLJ burned and pissed a lot of people off, not to mention it won't even sniff the hype TFA had, so if it makes more than TLJ, that's a good thing already

- Avatar 2: I think people underestimate the 200M+ OW chances for this.... Avatar may not have pop culture presence, but it was a phenomenom and interest will be huge for this. That being said, I doubt that it really blows up hardcore enough for 258, especially if it's a December opener

Next major OW record contender, should A4 not pull it off, is unquestionably Harry Potter 8 imo.

• Like 1

To me CA is a much bigger attraction than IM. With IM even though RDJ looks like a perfect fit for the role, I like the coolness of the suit and how it gets used in action more than the character itself. Maybe not a popular opinion but I have an easier time thinking of a non-RDJ IM than non-Evans CA.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I don’t know how anyone could call Iron Man the most popular Avenger if they saw the same AIW movie that I did this weekend. 

I feel confident to say that in Phase 1 and 2 Ironman carried MCU. 

But since then they have added new interesting characters(strange, bp, gotg,etc). Thor has gotten better and more interesting, Cap has a top 3 movie in the MCU.

He may still be the single most popular character still, but at this point MCU would fine without him.

He still adds value, but unlike back in the TA1 days he is no longer essential.

3 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Assuming $69.2M for Sunday holds, IW has the best Friday-Sunday increase of the 3 MCU films that increased Fri -> Sun.

IW: $67M -> $69.2M (+3.3%)

GOTG2: $39.08M -> $39.13M (+0.1%)

Ragnarok: $31.97M -> $32.07M (+0.3%)

That's awesome. Of course we probably should not read much into it this early. Those two films ended up with much weaker legs than say Avengers 2012 or Guardians 1, both of which made less on Sunday than true Friday.

9 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

That's cause the most popular is:

32.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

RDJ probably has a percentage of gross deal rather than getting a huge amount upfront. 

That's what I'm assuming.  It pays to be the first Avenger actor in the MCU. 

I don't think Marvel/Disney does that type of deal anymore (like: Hemsworth has become a bigger star than he was in 2011, who knows he might have something similar since all of the original Avengers had to renegotiate their contract for Avengers 4)

Those articles about RDJ asking for more money always come out soon as the weekend a big Marvel movie open, then disappear just as fast  with like no proof or reliable sources on what the articles claim to happen.

• Like 6

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
2018/04/27 1 $105,967,000   4,474 $23,685   $105,967,000 1
2018/04/28 1 $83,017,000 -22% 4,474 $18,555   $188,984,000 2
2018/04/29 1 $69,200,000 -17% 4,474 $15,467   $258,184,000 3

Better Sun hold than TA. Sun a little higher than true Friday's 67.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Those articles about RDJ asking for more money always come out soon as the weekend a big Marvel movie open, then disappear just as fast  with like no proof or reliable sources on what the articles claim to happen.

Tabloids gotta sell them papers somehow.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pensivepenguin said:

That's what I'm assuming.  It pays to be the first Avenger actor in the MCU. 

I don't think Marvel/Disney does that type of deal anymore (like: Hemsworth has become a bigger star than he was in 2011, who knows he might have something similar since all of the original Avengers had to renegotiate their contract for Avengers 4)

Hemsworth likely gets more than did in 2011 but he's not a draw outside of Thor, likewise with Evans, Pratt is a bit more tricky because JW was a huge hit but his other non MCU films, he wasn't the main lead so it's difficult to gage. 

MCU is currently on $15.5B after this weekend with the release of AIW. I am going conservative and think this movie will end up with 1.8B with 2B being a distinct possibility. So after AIW ends it's run, MCU b.o will be atleast 16.7B. By the time A4 ends it's run, they would have crossed 20B:what:. 20B from 22 movies and this is me being conservative here. They are averaging almost 900M-1B per film despite releasing movies like TIH, TFA and Thor 1 earlier. Phase 3 earnings will extend 10B in itself. Unprecedented and you wonder if something like this will ever be replicated again.

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, baumer said:

Better paid, sure.  But there's a difference between making sure Evans gets six mill as opposed to two and Downey getting 100 million per film.  It just seems excessive to me.  

check out some delusional Terrence Howard interviews about how he got Downey the part and is owed 100 million.  His loss was Don Cheadle's gain for sure...bad move.  But I do agree with what you're saying

The MCU would not even exist without him. It was his performance what made IM the hit it was. I doubt those reports are true, but if they were he deserves every penny. Probably top 3 most important casting in the history of Hollywood.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1